Beginners and Beyond

B.A.A. Issues Special Invitation To 2013 Boston Marathon Starters (Read 94 times)

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

happylily

Love it!

I like what's below as well. What a colorful group!

The B.A.A. has communicated by email to the participants in this year's race who are eligible. Among the 5633 in this group are 2611 from Massachusetts and 726 who are international. In total, residents of 45 states and 47 countries are among this group. Also, the group is comprised of 2983 women and 2650 men and ages range from 18 to 82.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

I knew they would make everyone happy. This is great news.

Mmmmm...beer

Just saw that, glad to hear it, I was hoping they would do something like this.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

delicate flower

Now that's how it's done.

<3

YAYpril - B-Plus

I love this very much.

Docket_Rocket

Good of them!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

I think this is a good solution.  I'm glad that the runners  prevented from finishing will get another chance to cross the finish line.

Also, the group is comprised of 2983 women and 2650 men and ages range from 18 to 82.

Ugh.  This incorrect usage of "comprise" is one of my pet peeves.  The sentence should either say  "the group is composed of..." or "the group comprises...."    "Comprised of" is incorrect.

Carry on.

happylily

I think this is a good solution.  I'm glad that the runners  prevented from finishing will get another chance to cross the finish line.

Ugh.  This incorrect usage of "comprise" is one of my pet peeves.  The sentence should either say  "the group is composed of..." or "the group comprises...."    "Comprised of" is incorrect.

Carry on.

Excellent! Thanks for bringing that up!

#artbydmcbride

w00t

Runners run

Philliefan33

Excellent! Thanks for bringing that up!

I guess I shouldn't be critical, not knowing if the B.A.A. employs publicists or other professionals to write press releases.  It could be that a volunteer was asked to put together the statement, and is using a phrase often seen in print.  I have seen the incorrect usage of "comprise" in newspapers (where an editor should have corrected it) and even in one of our corporate press releases.  It's a bit embarassing.

On a side note, I was reading an online article from ABC news today, regarding the number of U.S. citizens retiring to Ecuador.  Apparently one city is "teaming" with Americans. Roll eyes   From the context I think the author meant to say "teeming".  Come on journalists!  I'm a chemist -- you should have better word skills than me.

happylily

I guess I shouldn't be critical, not knowing if the B.A.A. employs publicists or other professionals to write press releases.  It could be that a volunteer was asked to put together the statement, and is using a phrase often seen in print.  I have seen the incorrect usage of "comprise" in newspapers (where an editor should have corrected it) and even in one of our corporate press releases.  It's a bit embarassing.

On a side note, I was reading an online article from ABC news today, regarding the number of U.S. citizens retiring to Ecuador.  Apparently one city is "teaming" with Americans. Roll eyes   From the context I think the author meant to say "teeming".  Come on journalists!  I'm a chemist -- you should have better word skills than me.

I had never heard of the word "teem" before reading your post. I looked it up a few seconds ago. I would have wrongly thought that a city was teaming with Americans to work on something, and I would have asked myself "Huh? I don't get that..." Correct spelling and usage of correct words is very important, especially in the media.

delicate flower

I'm interested to see what the registration fee will be.  Not that I care either way...I'd be willing to pay the full entry fee in a situation like this regardless of what marathon it is.

<3

happylily

Can you imagine what it must have been like for the 82 year old runner who did not get to finish? Maybe that was to be his/her last marathon. Hopefully that person will have another chance in 2014.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Can you imagine what it must have been like for the 82 year old runner who did not get to finish? Maybe that was to be his/her last marathon. Hopefully that person will have another chance in 2014.

I think I read somewhere that it was supposed to be the Hoyts' last marathon, too, but they decided to come back next year anyway.