Beginners and Beyond

A question for anyone taking glucosamine and chondroitin sulfates. (Read 88 times)

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

I have read the benefits athletes derive from taking G&CS. I am curious to know the personal experience you may have as runner taking these supplements. I am coming off a hip injury and in one of my posts online related to my injury, someone recommended taking glucosamine to aid in my recovery. I think it may have been happylilly.  Also, what brand and dosage do you recommend? 

Love the Half

If you have read the "benefits", you haven't gotten that from studies.  They have been astoundingly inconclusive.  At one point I  took it.  Then, I quit.  My wallet is happier and my knees don't notice a bit of difference.  Wait a minute.  Yes they do.  My knees are healthier now than they were when I was taking it because I'm smarter in how I train.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

The literature is mixed on how useful or beneficial the supplements are.  There is some stronger evidence to support their use once you already have osteoarthritis.  However, as a preventative tool there isn't much there to support things one way or another.

What there is, however, is an awful lot of anecdotal evidence.  Anecdote is not science so take it for what it's worth.

Things that are known about the supplements include:

1. It's expensive.

2. It can upset your stomach and cause some GI distress (gas, bloating, pain, diarrhea etc...)

3. It's expensive.

4. There's nothing showing it'll work (or not work) with any certainty and

5. It's expensive.

Since you asked for personal experience, I can tell you my orthopedist told me I was nuts for not taking it.  I tried it.  It drained my wallet and caused me some significant GI distress.  So I quit taking it.  I didn't notice a difference one way or the other as far as my joints were concerned.

Your mileage may vary.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

From the Internet.

Echoing what's already been said - here is some info on chondroitin and glucosamine. TL;DR unless you have osteoarthritis don't bother taking it, and even if you do, you probably shouldn't bother, and if you STILL want to take it, keep in mind that you won't really see any effect until you've been taking it for many months (and even then you may not benefit at all).

Hip Redux

All I know is that I saw a dramatic difference in my dog when I started supplementing him with glucosamine and CS.

happylily

All I know is that I saw a dramatic difference in my dog when I started supplementing him with glucosamine and CS.

And this old dog also saw a dramatic difference after a year of hip pain. After only 3 weeks on GC, pain went away. But of course, it could all be in my head. However, whenever i go on vacation for 2 or 3 weeks and I do not bring my GC with me, hip and knee pain returns... When I start the supplements again, pain goes away. I don't care if it's only mental, it works for me...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

I used to take them early on in my running career (like 6 years ago Wink) after experiencing runner's knee pain.  The pain eventually went away.

I have not been taking them since, and have not noticed any difference.

SusanRachel

Glucosamine is a great drug that is way overused.  As has been mentioned, it is only beneficial if your injury/pain is related to osteoarthritis.  If you had a pulled ligament, tendonitis, ITBS, etc, it won't do you a darned bit of good and it is quite expensive.  If you DO have arthritis, it can be a total godsend.

Took it for my back, when i was seeing a chiropractor for who basically insisted on it as part of the treatment. He did not help my back, nor did the G-C. On the plus side, I didn't have any side effects.

Dave

RSX

The literature told me that I could save a lot of $ if I buy the store brand at CVS as opposed to GNC etc. As far as dosage I read the labels.

There is significant research showing effectiveness in dogs.  There is much less evidence of it helping humans, as described above.

I've also been told the size equivalent doses of opiate pain meds I gave my cat would be fatal in humans, and the bladder control med I give my dog without any problems had such terrible side effects that the FDA banned it's use in humans.  Shrug.

tracilynn

major major GI issues. Had to stop.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Love the Half

Took it for my back, when i was seeing a chiropractor for who basically insisted on it as part of the treatment. He did not help my back, nor did the G-C. On the plus side, I didn't have any side effects.

Your back would have felt much better if you had spent that same amount of money on good beer.  :-)

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

At one point I  took it.  Then, I quit.  My wallet is happier and my knees don't notice a bit of difference.  Wait a minute.  Yes they do. My knees are healthier now than they were when I was taking it because I'm smarter in how I train.

I took them faithfully while training for my first marathon, and at a pretty healthy daily dose at that.  Ultimately, it was more of a psychological thing than anything else, which I suppose is as good as them actually working.

Did they actually work though?  I cannot say for certain that they did, or that they did not.

Your back would have felt much better if you had spent that same amount of money on good beer.  :-)

That has been my treatment method ever since. And I definitely feel better.

Dave