Beginners and Beyond

What benefits do you get from inline skating (Read 105 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

As opposed to hills and speed and what not.... does inline skating help in anyway, shape or form?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Helps you look cool, but not as cool as you would look in the 70's style roller disco skates.

Dave

happylily

Helps you look cool, but not as cool as you would look in the 70's style roller disco skates.

LOL...

I can't imagine inline skating replacing running in any way. But maybe I'm wrong. I know it works the legs, but I would think that for cardio it isn't as effecient as running.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Inline skating gets you outside and being active. That in itself is a good thing and could probably give your aerobic system a bit of a boost and would burn some calories (like several types of cross training).

But let's be honest, it's not going to improve your running much* (I'm assuming that was an implied question).

*Sure if you add 10 hours of roller skating a week you might see benefits, but you'd gain more proportionally if you'd just run more Tongue.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Although if you can sneak into a race with them on your feet you'll have a good shot at a huge PB (provided it's not an uphill course)!

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I was just wondering because yesterday at a birthday party while racing around the rink for an hour and a half I felt absolutely no pain in my foot (or anywhere for that matter) where I've been sore for almost 2 weeks due to the wrong shoes for months and I thought that if I must cut down my running mileage for a bit to ensure a good HM race April 7, maybe I could make up for some of it by rollerblading.

I seriously want to amputate my foot and get a new one, anybody not using their's? I need a size 7 1/2, medium arch and slender................Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

I'm sure it works some areas you don't normally work. You might be in great shape, but seems when you do something infrequently, like roller/ice skate or ski, you will get sore in certain areas (in those examples for me it is always in the hips). As Adam says may not improve your running much, but it never hurts to strengthen or stretch any part of your body.

Plus, when you are wearing the shiny spandex pants, off the shoulder top & feathered back hair, you will be able to pick up lots of hot guys in their Members Only jackets.

Dave

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Runners World has put out articles about how it is ok to replace a small percentage of running miles with the bike or elliptical. Not sure about inline skating but it is the same concept as bike and elliptical- uses similar muscles to running but is lower impact.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I was actually going to wear my tights during tonight's rollerblading............... but I am married so I can't go picking up guys.

My foot actually isn't even sore right now, but I think I will still wait until tomorrow or Wednesday. It isn't really pain, more like a soreness saying "hi, hi, hi, I'm still here you know, hello, hello, don't forget about me, still here" during the run.  I do love rollerblading, but not sure about doing it in this cold weather as I go just as fast as I do on my bike (10-12 mph) and that would probably have me freezing. I just feel like going crazy if I miss 2 or more days of running, and doing at least some form of going fast outside helps a little.

I'm sure it works some areas you don't normally work. You might be in great shape, but seems when you do something infrequently, like roller/ice skate or ski, you will get sore in certain areas (in those examples for me it is always in the hips). As Adam says may not improve your running much, but it never hurts to strengthen or stretch any part of your body.

Plus, when you are wearing the shiny spandex pants, off the shoulder top & feathered back hair, you will be able to pick up lots of hot guys in their Members Only jackets.

PRs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I get some roughage in my mouth.....as I crash into trees and bushes, my usual method of stopping, lol.  Gail, my excellent skater wife, just laughs when she sees all this, and then shakes her head in pity....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Buelligan

I can't imagine inline skating replacing running in any way. But maybe I'm wrong. I know it works the legs, but I would think that for cardio it isn't as effecient as running.

I used inline skating to keep in shape when I was struggling with knee issues about 20 years ago.   I thought it was an okay cardio workout but that might have had more to do with my newbish flailing skating style.   My experience is bicycling provides a more beneficial workout for a runner than inline skating does.  Plus, I busted my ass pretty good a few times out there on those infernal devil shoes with wheels.

Hip Redux

My experience is bicycling provides a more beneficial workout for a runner than inline skating does.  Plus, I busted my ass pretty good a few times out there on those infernal devil shoes with wheels.

+1

I have eaten enough pavement... inline skates are not my friend. lol

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm the opposite, I love my inline skates more than my bike. Don't get me wrong, I love my bike but 6 miles of rollerblading leaves me feeling a lot more worked out than 10 miles of biking.... both at around a 12 mph pace. Then again, I do love speed when on my skates and I managed to perfect the art of falling at a young age Big grin

PRs

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I would think at the very least you could strengthen your ankles.  While I shy away from inline skates these days, one of these years I want to take ice skating lessons.

Sloooow.

The last time my partner was in good shape was living in Florida and doing lots of skating. Then he started showing off to his kids, and broke his ankle. Still has screws and pins in it, lol.

I would think it uses different muscles, probably be good as cross training.