Beginners and Beyond

Compression Leggings: Yea or Nay? (Read 68 times)

Why?

If yea, for running, recovery, or both?

I bought a pair of compression sock for recovery this past Sunday an LOVE them. I wore them for four hours after running 11.5 miles this past Sunday and have been wearing them again since this morning, after running 7.0 miles. My feet and calves feel super-fresh.

I'm wondering if leggings for my marathon would be worth the $$$.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I like the calf sleeves. I wear them durning and after long runs. Like you, I like them and they help my legs feel good. I am considering a pair of socks at some point.

MothAudio

Photo: Good morning Columbus State Cougar Runners! 

I would like to share a story about an amazing friend. The fact she’s able to run 216 miles in one week is mind-boggling in itself, the fact she did this one year after whipping cancer is incredible. But that’s just where the tale begins. Unfortunately for this young, bright and otherwise healthy women this would not be the 1st hurdle she would overcome. A new form of cancer was found and she endured a 2nd round of procedures. While she was hospitalized a mutual friend suggested via FB we have a fund raiser to help with medical bills . So he ordered oval stickers with her Runner’s World forum "thelearnedfoot" moniker printed on it, asking only for a small donation to cover postage.  

He asked that we keep this secret and created a closed FB group. I think the original goal was just to keep Jenny from discovering our little secret. Somehow we managed to do this for 2 ½ months and our “little group” grew to over 800! We represented all 50 states and several foreign countries. In addition to the orange stickers another member made up orange “Running for Jenny” bracelets that she mailed to whoever requested one. She asked for nothing in return, only to donate to the cause. I have no idea how many she mailed but it’s in the 100s. And the group just ran with the idea, literally. People would wear their orange bracelets and take their orange stickers [Jen’s fav color] and photograph their runs or the places they visited, taking Jenny with them. Then they’d post them on our FB page. 

This continued for over two months, without her ever knowing. Bob wouldn’t reveal how much money was raised but in his words it was “considerable”. Last Saturday was declared “Run for Jenny” day and we did what Jenny loves to do – run. Some ran races, others organized fund raisers or donated items for auction, some ran 100 miles to celebrate while covered in orange.  Yesterday, the secret was revealed to Jenny after a morning run with Bob. He asked her to bring her lap top so she could see the 100s of posts from everyone over the past few months, all wishing her a happy birthday. 

The really cool thing is that the vast majority of the members have never met Bob or Jenny. They know them through their thoughtful contributions on the Runner’s World forum or FB. And now I see we’re planning on a FE [forum encounter] this Fall in Cleveland to celebrate with her in person at the Towpath Marathon. 

Jenny has taught us many lessons in her words and her actions. She is more than a survivor, she is unstoppable. She has inspired and motivated us in what one person can accomplish even when dealt a raw deal. Thank you for letting me share my story about this amazing athlete, women and friend.      

Sunday: 12 miles 1:47:02 - 8:55 avg. pace - easy pace with Jenny.

I wear the compression sleeves for two reasons - supposed aid in recovery and warmth on those 'tweener days [wearing a jacket + shorts on a brisk day].

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

onemile

I've tried them. Both for recovery and while running.  Didn't notice any difference. I do like them, as Moth said, for those days when it's between shorts and tights weather.

Love the Half

Recent research is seeming to indicate they are pretty much useless during exercise but they do help with recovery.

Do Compression Socks Work?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Birdwell

I wear them more for warmth than anything.

(I also think they look pretty styling on the right racers)

StepbyStep-SH

I like the socks for after long runs. I have a pair of sleeves, but have only worn them for one long run and for my 24-hour run, so I don't have any comparison about how they impact during a run.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Hip Redux

I posted this in the dailies, but here it is for the general public-

I have compression gear - both recovery and ones for use while running.

I get a lot of relief from fatigue/tired legs when I wear my Zoot recovery leggings.   Because they are not intended to be run in, they are pretty constrictive.  They make my legs happy.

I like my running compression gear - it feels good to wear while running, etc. but I don't notice any large improvements in speed, fatigue etc.  They are not nearly as compressive as my recovery leggings, obviously because you need to move in them. lol

YMMV  Smile

Will run for scenery.

Biggest and best reason - they feel good.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Docket_Rocket

I like the socks for running and never wear them for recovery.  They help me not feel sore after marathons.  Never worn compression leggings though but if you are planning on wearing them for the race, do one or two LRs in them to make sure you will feel comfortable running in them for the marathon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page