Beginners and Beyond

RR - Peaceprints 5K (Read 52 times)

Sunday it was hot.

The race was at Delaware Park, a popular running spot for city-dwelling runners with a 1.5ish mile ring road close to downtown.

I parked and went to where it looked like the start line was on the map and found nothing, so I started jogging going faster as the clock wound down around the ring with 15 minutes to gun time.

Nothing.  I finally turned around and found the start line with maybe 5 minutes left, sprinting up a grassy hill to the sign-in.  Probably the last runner to register, and with the national anthem already being sung, I threw my packet under a shrub by a telephone pole and hoped it would stay there.  Already sweating heavily, hasty shoe tying, bib-pinning, get up in front, bang.

One other guy went out with me, and I thought "he is welcome to maintain that pace because there's no way I'm doing it in this heat".   After about 250 yards he slowed dramatically and I was alone to pick my way though casual non-racing runners using the loop.  Bonus of the course:  nowhere to get lost!

The rest of the story is easy:  I was tired, it was hot, but it didn't matter.  2nd was 2:30 behind my disappointing 18:00 flat.

There was a big spread of fruit, bagels, water and juice, nom nom nom.  And my packet was right where I had thrown it, so the race shirt came in handy to replace the sopping wet one that had been raced in.

The streak is likely done at 5.  I may race on Thursday against an excellent trail runner, and even if that goes better than expected, Friday's big-money 4 mile will put a sure end to it, with touring sub-elites and the local burners all sure to be in attendance.  It was fun Big grin

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

FIVE IN A ROW!!!  That's amazing.  The way this race started would have wiped me out...lol  Very impressive.  I'm I reading that right?  You have 2 more races this week!?  I'm kind of jealous.  I talked myself out of a race already today, and I REALLY want to race again...lol  I may have to focus on shorter distances next year.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

B-Plus

Congrats on another win!! This time from behind.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Congrats, Jay on another win!!!! Amazing!

Bonus of the course:  nowhere to get lost!

Except in finding the starting line, lol. But, better before the race than on the course for a change right?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

delicate flower

'Bout time you won another one of these things.

<3

happylily

Woohoo! Mr NumberOne! :-) Disappointing 18:00 my eye... Big grin Huge congratulations. Jay!!!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Will run for scenery.

You'd better be careful : streaking can get you placed on the registered sex offender's list.  Don't ask me how I know !

Okay, okay, I'll tell you how I know.  I work at a college, and whenever you have drunken, stressed-out 20-year-olds it's a pretty safe bet that somebody's gonna end up runnin' around like a nekkid crazy person.  I was talking to a campus safety dude once and he said one of his biggest fears was that some student would get picked up by city cops for harmless nekkid shenanigans.  Once you're a sex offender, that shit don't go away.

Oh, and good race BTW.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on another win, especially in the heat with the stress of being late, etc.  Awesome!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Glad you found the start, and congrats on another win!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Congrats again Jay. I think you'll give those others a run for their money in the upcoming races.

- Andrew

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

So let me summarize, Jay is fast (well not so in heat), and is map challenged.

My suggestion is to go hard on the Big Money 4 and use your winnings on a GPS.  Helps tremendously in finding things on a map!

LOL, good speed workout.

YAYpril - B-Plus

You're pretty funny. Running late to a race and you still end up winning. Congratulations. Smile

Ric-G

I'm dyslexic ...i thought i read "bout time you won one of these things."

anyway, glad the streak is alive..and congrats!

'Bout time you won another one of these things.

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

Sheeit, you ain't foolin' me.  You are not conceding defeat, you are just running the idea through your head.  No different than a dozen different scenarios we think about leading up to race day.

That is some impressive stuff you're on right now, don't go down without givin' them a kick in the ass!

Thanks guys.

There's no way I'm cashing at the Subaru 4-Mile Chase - last year 15 guys ran sub-5 pace, with the winner at a blistering 4:31/mi.

But free entry with free beer afterwards is a thing worth attending.  Smile