Beginners and Beyond

It's Monday Once Again Penguins! (Read 39 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

jblack sometimes we just need a break. I hope you find happiness while running again!

I see a lot of mention about FB on here. is there a FB group you're all a part of that I  don't know about?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

jblackjr - Taking a break can sometimes make you appreciate what you are missing, or at least, let you decide whether or not you really do miss it.  Glad you've decided to try again, with a different focus.  Maybe it's time to throw away the watch/gps/hrm?  Go back to just running to run?  Can your dog still run?  After reading some of Scotty's RRs, it makes me want to go out and do some short races, just for the fun of it.  As long as you don't get too hung up on your time in the race, it might help.

Bin - I'm glad your ankle is healing, but don't push too soon.  It will take longer to heal completely if you do.

Kristin - the problem I saw with the HH Novice program when I looked at it last year is that the weekly mileage is so low.  I think the longest week was only about 25 miles.  Since you have time to build your base before then, you'll probably want to modify it.

N-Bug - hope the interview went well.

Lots of folks doing weights today.

Hopesmom - good luck getting your seminar together.  When is it?

Gustav - have fun with your bike racing.  I cant' see doing that, but then I love being outdoors.  An inside track really doesn't appeal.  If I did bicycling, it would be long distance cycling.  I'd love to do the Divide Trail or some of the cross country routes.

Awood - good luck winning the contest.  Sounds like fun. I clicked.

Singer who runs a smidge

My seminar is Feb 11th.  I've got it mostly mapped out in my head, I just need to figure out how to wrap it up and then make the slides and run through it a million times.  Woo-hoo!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jen16226

Awood- when I get home I will go vote for you!  I get the big red x trying to access that site here at work (and thank God or I envision my playing games half the day!).

Among the MIA....I just shot Tori a message telling her that her presence is being requested.  She has been swamped the past couple of weeks.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

SheCan

Awood, you pick "like" to vote?  If so, I voted for you guys, and I really do think y'all are adorable with your race bibs!   GO TEAM AWOOD!

jblack-  Sad  I'm sorry you were having such a hard time, but I'm glad you came back and didn't keep staying away.  I think we all go through low motivational cycles.  I know I do sometimes, and just need a break for a bit.  Lets hope a race will put some zip and fun back into your runs.

kristin- yes, there is a FB group.  I'd give you details, but I'm not on it.  I have a few  people I'm closer to on my FB, but for the most part I keep it separate from my running.  Apparently though, a big chunk of folks from RW switched over to FB,  I'm sure someone has the info, if you don't figure it out soon, I'll ask around also.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

HI!!

School is winding down.....I am working on completing my required hours and the 140 should be completed by next week already!! WOOT!

I hope all is well....graduation============March 1!!! EEEK!

and..I am totally pathetic when it comes to running in 20 degree temps or lower.....Blush 30-40 is my favorite but 20 or lower.....I am WIMPY.

OH...and I have a job interview on Wednesday....keep your fingers crossed!! I know someone ....ah hemm...Jen16226 wants me to run a race with her and I dont want to sign up for any until I find out which weeekends I will be working. I will have to work every other weekend!!!!

So I am pretty anxious to land my job and get this show on the road!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

GinnyinPA

Since I did my long run yesterday, today was supposed to be either rest or recovery, but the sun was shining, so I put on my windpants and went outdoors for a 3.5 mile out and back run.  It's a hilly road (385' up and down according to the mapping software) so didn't exactly feel easy, especially since I've been spending so much time on the TM, but it felt great to be outside.  The forecast was for snow today; I'm glad they got that wrong.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

HI!!

School is winding down.....I am working on completing my required hours and the 140 should be completed by next week already!! WOOT!

I hope all is well....graduation============March 1!!! EEEK!

and..I am totally pathetic when it comes to running in 20 degree temps or lower.....Blush 30-40 is my favorite but 20 or lower.....I am WIMPY.

OH...and I have a job interview on Wednesday....keep your fingers crossed!! I know someone ....ah hemm...Jen16226 wants me to run a race with her and I dont want to sign up for any until I find out which weeekends I will be working. I will have to work every other weekend!!!!

So I am pretty anxious to land my job and get this show on the road!

Congrats on your academic accomplishments, Tori, I bet you will be so happy when it's all over, you sure have put in a lot of hours and a lot of work!  Good luck with the upcoming interview!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I was tired of having sore calves all the time so I went out to the LRS and bought a pair of compression leggings. I just ran six miles in them and they feel pretty good. The guy at the store even said to sleep in them if I want. Does anyone else do that?

Also, DW and I are taking off next Friday and are going to Zion for a nice four day weekend together(no kids! Smile) That is our favorite place to go and we will get in some great hikes and runs.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I have issues with calf cramps during runs sometimes, and wear calf compression sleeves. I have more than one pair, and if I had a particularly tough run on my calves I sometimes put a clean pair on to go to work (I run in the morning), and sometimes will wear them to bed the night before a long run or race to get the blood flowing.

Hi Pens...

I was tired of having sore calves all the time so I went out to the LRS and bought a pair of compression leggings. I just ran six miles in them and they feel pretty good. The guy at the store even said to sleep in them if I want. Does anyone else do that?

Also, DW and I are taking off next Friday and are going to Zion for a nice four day weekend together(no kids! Smile) That is our favorite place to go and we will get in some great hikes and runs.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

nice to "see" you Tori! Awesome news about school,ect!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin - Thank you!  It's looking like a two horse race, and they're obviously recruiting help as well.  They've actually increased their lead...yikes!!!

Jen - 6 miles is a heck of a milestone!  10K is 6.2.  So, now you have a new distance that you can race :-)

Zel - I don't have a Garmin, but I'm toying with the idea of using GPS.  I'm nervous that it will distract me.

N-Bug - You can do it brother!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Rach - Sleep is so important!  If you think it will help, I say try it.  I personally, have never had good sleep habits.  I don't know if I'll ever correct that.

HopesMom - I've often wondered how much productive work our economy loses to the Super Bowl...LOL

Gustav - All I know is that even when you can't run, you train hard.  I'm looking forward to seeing you do great things.

Kristin - I've noticed a shrinking penguin population as well.

Mitch - Just like with running, sometimes real life gets in the way of our forum time.  Thanks for the heads up though.

She Can - I'm looking forward to seeing what this "taper madness" feels like :-)

Scotty - Don't bulk up too much with the weights.  The legs you're chasing might get intimidated.

Lauren - That sounds like some great progress.  Keep up the good work!

jblackjr - What you're saying makes perfect sense.  Jack Daniels talks about taking extended periods of time off as part of your training.  Beyond that though, I think it's good to reevaluate why we do what we do.  If we don't enjoy the number tracking, and structured workouts, but we do enjoy being outdoors with the dog, then maybe it's time to quit looking at everything as a competition.  Run for yourself for awhile.  Take the route you want to run that day, instead of the distance you had scheduled.  Run the pace that you want to run.  Running shouldn't be the major stress in your life.  It should be an escape.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin - I don't think there's a secret FB site, but I'm just trying to win this massage for fiance.  She's trained in massage.  I can get a great massage at home.  I'm trying to get enough likes that she can get some pampering.  I try to give massages, but she spends most of her time telling me how to do what I'm trying to do...lol

Ginny - Thank you!

Tori - Finish school strong!  We'll still be here.  Good to see that you're still around.

Jack - I've never tried sleeping in them, but I could see where it might be beneficial.  Enjoy your vacation.

I want to thank everyone that's "liked" our photo so far.  Luckily we still have some time left.  The other couple that has been our toughest competition has really picked up their efforts.  I still have a few more things that I plan to do to try to get more votes.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I was referring to when someone said our missing friends were posting on facebook. I will definitely vote for you guys but for some reason when I click on your link from my phone it doesn't work Sad have to wait til im home at my computer

Kristin - I don't think there's a secret FB site, but I'm just trying to win this massage for fiance.  She's trained in massage.  I can get a great massage at home.  I'm trying to get enough likes that she can get some pampering.  I try to give massages, but she spends most of her time telling me how to do what I'm trying to do...lol

Ginny - Thank you!

Tori - Finish school strong!  We'll still be here.  Good to see that you're still around.

Jack - I've never tried sleeping in them, but I could see where it might be beneficial.  Enjoy your vacation.

I want to thank everyone that's "liked" our photo so far.  Luckily we still have some time left.  The other couple that has been our toughest competition has really picked up their efforts.  I still have a few more things that I plan to do to try to get more votes.