Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES Are Going to The Cats (Read 64 times)

YAYpril - B-Plus

17F feels like 8! Good times. I'm treadmilling this one tonight.

I might do my first double tomorrow. I have 6 on the plan, but it's still REALLY cold here so I don't want to run it outside after work, and I don't want to do 2 "long" treadmill runs in a row. So I might do 3 in the morning and 3 at lunch. I can handle single digit temps for short runs, but for anything over an hour... no thanks.

SIAR, I prefer loops for longer runs too. I usually run to the towpath and back but on Sunday my RP and I did a big loop around town. It was kind of nice.

Ugh... I made a mistake and brought my Trader Joe's cookie butter to work. I was eating it with celery then I realized that I was only using the celery as a vessel to transport the cookie butter to my mouth... then I ate a few more pieces and forced myself to put it away. NEVER AGAIN. It's too delicious to be here with me for 9 hours.

Mmmmm...beer

Good stuff D.  I can see how if you're not running on a set plan, it's easier to just let the legs flow like that.  I've had to curtail doing that as much as possible, mostly because it usually impacts my quality days negatively.  I know my way isn't the only way though.  The owner of our local running store, who is a 2:50 marathoner, runs hard when his body feels like it and easy when it doesn't.  The bulk of his miles are trail miles though, so his predominant training stimulus is repeated hill work.  I'm glad you got your ITB on the mend.  As for your tempo plan, looks good.  You could also consider some easier tempos to start, like 2x10 min T with 2 min rest, then 2x15T with 3 min rest, or 3x5min T with 2min rest, then 4x6T with 3min rests, etc.  I know those aren't "true" tempo per say, but  they are a lactate threshold workout and I've found them easier on my body to start.  Also, instead of having the same type of run every week, they add a little variety, which I think is good both physically and mentally.  Sorry for the unsolicited suggestions...I get a little excited with this running stuff.

No problem, I'm always open to suggestions.  I have a feeling that when I start doing tempos and eventually intervals, that I'll have to really make sure to keep my easy runs easy or the quality runs will suffer.  I think I'm going to just add the tempos for now, then intervals after my half, and see how much I can improve my 5k time.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

jedigunnie26.2, nice job with the 5.2 miles before work in the cold.

I'mNotScott, enjoy your SRD.

scottydawg, enjoy running in that beautiful weather.

Dave, an excellent eight-miler at an excellent pace.

Shari, I hope that you enjoy the six miles.

BruceD555, I hope that your run went well.

rkymtnanna, great job squeezing the 5.1 into your day before work.

Tom, I'm glad that you enjoyed your run outdoors.

Nightcrawler, five miles in 20F? Nice.

AmiK, I hope that you feel OK.

Kay, awesome intervals on the elliptical.

SIAR, great job doubling today.

CrisRuns, how did you dress for 8F and windy?

wcrunner2, have a relaxing rest day.

AprilRunner, have fun on the TM.

Pink, I'm feeling more relaxed today, better able to handle things. Giving myself a manicure and a pedicure in the shower this morning really cheered me up.

I'm on my way to the gym to do 7.0 tempo miles on the TM.

Ugh. I only made it 1.38 miles. Instead of feeling fresher as my run progressed, which is what normally happens, they felt heavier. I'll do it again tomorrow morning. Hydration, rest, and stretching are the plan for tonight.

Tomorrow AM: 7.0 miles at tempo pace and push-ups.

Tomorrow PM: weights, abs, and cardio.

Low single digits + wind again today, so wussed out & went dreadmill for the 2nd day in a row, 5.25 miles.

Tomorrow is a yoga day, hopefully will warm up enough on Friday to get back outside. Anything in the teens will do.

Dave

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

4.81 miles done at recovery pace with the running group...had a blast. A little over 16 miles for the day.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

CrisRuns

Basya, truth be told, I was so well covered, it could have been colder and/or more windy. But I would rather be warm than chilled.

Starting from the bottom:

- 1 pair of socks and running shoes. My feet usually do not get cold

- winter tights

- windproof fleece pants

- Underarmour thick under layer over bra. The Underarmour is tucked inside the tights

- high neck fleece. This is tucked into the sweatpants.

- wind-proof jacket from Land's End. This is not a nylon shell, it is a thicker wind and water resistant sort of fleece.

- Underarmour balaclava

- knitted hat

-neck gaiter

- fleece gloves

- ski gloves on top of fleece gloves.

Yup, I was toasty warm. The tucking of shirts into various layers is essential. You want to avoid any draft seeping in.

:-)

Why did you have to cut your run short, just working out a lot?

runmomto3boys

SIAR: What a great day for you!  Nice running!

14 miles done at 8:19 pace.  I'm surprised I held that fast a pace after yesterday's fast run.  Tomorrow's recovery run is going to be done slower than slow.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Rmt3b...nice one for you too. You'd actually make a good running partner for me...we seem to have a lot of days with similar paces.

Basya...sorry the run was tough. Good job being smart and taking a break though.

Dave...no shame in hitting the mill in this cold, or any day for that matter.

Looks like you had plenty of the right gear to get you out there. That makes all the difference. Just realized you were female - my apologies!

Hi dailies:

15.2 miles done in persistent lake-effect snow and less degrees than I have fingers to count 'em on, dodging plows and getting a yell of "you're crazy!" from a passing driver.  8:52 pace was all I could manage without skis Smile

Ah, thanks, Cris. I was wondering how you managed.

DaveP MI, nice TM run. Enjoy yoga tomorrow.

SIAR, I'm so jealous that you were able to run outside with your local running group.

Heidi, sweet fourteen-miler.

Shirfan, you are BRAVE.

Cris, SIAR, my legs felt cumbersome. Lifting them was a struggle. I don't think I'd have been able to do my lower ab exercises tonight. So, I decided to stop. I'll go for it again tomorrow morning. Before work Friday, I need to do 7.0 tempo miles, one session of weights, two sessions of ab work, forty-five minutes on the ArcTrainer, and 3.0 miles of hill repeats at recovery pace.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hi dailies:

15.2 miles done in persistent lake-effect snow and less degrees than I have fingers to count 'em on, dodging plows and getting a yell of "you're crazy!" from a passing driver.  8:52 pace was all I could manage without skis Smile

If you're like me hearing that yelled at you probably made your night! Nice run.

Basya...I worry about you. Tell me you'll go easy on the workouts if you're feeling beat up still and I'll feel better.

StepbyStep-SH

If you're like me hearing that yelled at you probably made your night! Nice run.

Basya...I worry about you. Tell me you'll go easy on the workouts if you're feeling beat up still and I'll feel better.

+1. Don't overtrain and end up injured going into your marathon! A few days off now might be what you need.

Oh, and April - check this out: recipe for homemade cookie dough butter. I don't have any coconut flour, and the idea of a 1/2 c of butter is a little frightening, but I might try it sometime. Or you could make "raw cookie dough."

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

B-Plus

Hey Nightlies,

We had a pretty good run of dry weather here, but the rain finally came back. 7.4 miles @ 8:17.

CrisRuns

Cris, SIAR, my legs felt cumbersome. Lifting them was a struggle. I don't think I'd have been able to do my lower ab exercises tonight. So, I decided to stop. I'll go for it again tomorrow morning. Before work Friday, I need to do 7.0 tempo miles, one session of weights, two sessions of ab work, forty-five minutes on the ArcTrainer, and 3.0 miles of hill repeats at recovery pace.

Great call stopping! Please be careful.