Beginners and Beyond

26 Acts of Kindness (Read 401 times)

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I've decided to join in this awesome idea.  And know what?  It does make me feel a little better about humanity in light of the Newtown shooting.

Anne Curry definitely gets credit for this one:

https://twitter.com/AnnCurry

are you doing it?

I've started today by leaving the UPS driver a gift card and I'll be dropping off home made carrot cakes to my LBS and Veterinarian office.......

who is next?

Jess runs for bacon

I haven't heard of this. I can guess, but could you fill me in?

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Anne Curry tweeted:

"Imagine if all of us committed to 20 mitvahs/acts of kindness to honor each child lost in Newtown. I'm in. "

and it's taking off like wildfire.  Reports are out there of people paying for other people's orders in drive throughs, giving out random gift cards to strangers etc etc.

Follow the tweets and you can see what people are doing.  It's really amazing!

Jess runs for bacon

Anne Curry tweeted:

"Imagine if all of us committed to 20 mitvahs/acts of kindness to honor each child lost in Newtown. I'm in. "

and it's taking off like wildfire.  Reports are out there of people paying for other people's orders in drive throughs, giving out random gift cards to strangers etc etc.

Follow the tweets and you can see what people are doing.  It's really amazing!

Twitter and I don't get along too much (it crashes constantly on my iPhone), but I think this is a good idea. I will make myself a list. Thanks for sharing!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Not to be snarky, really.

But do you people not normally do things for others?
              Like cards, baked goods, little gifts for those persons you deal with during the year; UPS/ FedEx driver, mail person, vet, Doc, salon, etc...

I mean I understand the sentiment, but it is a little sad that something like this has to be the catalyst for folks just to be nice, considerate and appreciative.

Like cards, baked goods, little gifts for those persons you deal with during the year; UPS/ FedEx driver, mail person, vet, Doc, salon, etc...

I mean I understand the sentiment, but it is a little sad that something like this has to be the catalyst for folks just to be nice, considerate and appreciative.

I think this 26 random acts of kindness movement is more focused on strangers than people you know and interact with, because it's mostly anonymous.

You've been very vocal in these parts lately, little dood.  Simmer down nah...BTW, since you send gifts regularly, I'll PM you my addy. Smile

Seriously, I agree w/ you.  It's similar to being thankful for all that you have on Thanksgiving, rather than all through the year.  Only to fight others over material goods the very next day....thankful for what I have, but fighting others for what I don't have 'yet'.

The bigger challenge might be to do something for someone, but don't tell ANYONE of your plans to do so (not what, when, where, how, etc.)..you can't tell a soul.  Harder to do than one might think.

I think this 26 random acts of kindness movement is more focused on strangers than people you know and interact with, because it's mostly anonymous.

So anonymous that you post it on a message board for masses to read.

So anonymous that you post it on a message board for masses to read.

Oh, I was under the impression that many of the people who have been posting about it were on the receiving end. I guess not?

Jess runs for bacon

I do. But I can always do more.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Maybe, but you being in NY you should really already understand what happens when something appears on your doorstep or by your mailbox that you did not expect. Or even better a stranger hands you something.

Even down here in Texas, I would be a little suspicious of someone handing me a gift card out of the blue or a mystery treat left on my door?  Riiight, let me just chomp into that...

264 - call it post marathon recovery. Wink

Nevrgivup

I love this entire idea. I look forward to participating. It doesn't have to be costly or big. There are so many things I can think of doing. The tragedy that occurred has really put me in a funk and maybe this will help a bit.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Nevrgivup

I don't do Twitter though. I'll still do it anyway.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Jess runs for bacon

I have two gift cards that I got randomly that I've been holding on to for no reason. Now they have plans Smile