Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's SunDAILY - It's St. Patty's Eve (Read 20 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning !!!  RD #7 for me (but not for DW).  Going to try to finish up taxes today.  Hmmm..are race fees deductible?

Welcome back Margo.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Biking and maybe a short recovery run.

Jerry, hope your knee feels better soon.  Sadly, race fees are not deductible and those for charity are not deductible in full, sigh.  I wish.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Maybe I will have to deduct the ice pack.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Day 2 of DD's swim meet. Rest day, most likely. Zzzzzzz...

Philliefan33

Good morning (oops I mean afternoon). I've been puttering around the house, but plan to get out for 3-4 miles a little later.

SheCan

I think I'll wear yellow and blue today to celebrate Patty's eve.

Jerry-- So many RDs can be frustrating, but they really are productive in getting you better.

Jack-- how is DD doing at the meet anyhow?  Bringing home lots of trophies?

Margo-- it's still morning here, so no hurry!  It seems weird you talking about your racing season just starting.  Yours there is almost totally opposite of ours here.  There's almost no races around here past the end of April.  I do think though, if  you actually have time to train, somebody with your running history can be more than race ready by May.  I hope you can work something out with your work schedule though.

I was going to run a bit today, and take tomorrow off, because I'm bringing DH to the airport then.  But my legs and body just feel so tired, so I gonna take today off, and just rest.  Tomorrow I may or may not attempt to run after the trip to Tucson.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

I think I'll wear yellow and blue today to celebrate Patty's eve.

Jerry-- So many RDs can be frustrating, but they really are productive in getting you better.

Jack-- how is DD doing at the meet anyhow?  Bringing home lots of trophies?

Margo-- it's still morning here, so no hurry!  It seems weird you talking about your racing season just starting.  Yours there is almost totally opposite of ours here.  There's almost no races around here past the end of April.  I do think though, if  you actually have time to train, somebody with your running history can be more than race ready by May.  I hope you can work something out with your work schedule though.

I was going to run a bit today, and take tomorrow off, because I'm bringing DH to the airport then.  But my legs and body just feel so tired, so I gonna take today off, and just rest.  Tomorrow I may or may not attempt to run after the trip to Tucson.

Ours either.  Our season is basically over.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

I think we sort of have two racing periods around here. Spring (March thru mid May) and Autumn (end os September thru end of November).   Judging by the emails I've been getting, registration for the Spring races is lagging. I believe, coming off the second-worst winter in history for the region, many local runners are behind in their training so aren't committing to race quite yet.

Right now, I wouldn't be able to run 10 miles without a struggle but I should be okay by May 4th. 

GinnyinPA

Margo - I think you're right about registrations lagging.  Our local HM last week usually has 400, but this year there were only about 200.  I know I had a hard time getting out for long runs with the snow and ice on the roads, which is why I didn't run it.  Perhaps the one in mid-April will be better, except that all the marathoners who do the Chambersburg HM as part of their preparation for Boston will be elsewhere.

Jerry - sorry for the rest day.  Good job getting the taxes done. DH hasn't started yet.

Damaris - hope you had a good bike ride.

Scotty - hope your race went well.

Jack - I hope your daughter is doing well at her meet.  You are a good father, watching the whole thing.

Cherie - you could always run the loop at Sahuaro NP on your way home tomorrow.  Lots of good hills!

AFM:  It was cold and cloudy (38 deg.) when I did my long run.  The good part was I didn't need much water.  The bad part was the wind in my face was COLD!  I was glad I brought light gloves.  I did a long 13.5 mile loop through the country with about 1000' elevation gain/loss.  I only had to walk part of one hill, which is a big improvement.  I slowed down a lot the last three miles, but otherwise, I felt pretty good about the pace I was doing.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! I got majorly cocky with pace on yesterday's long run and I'm paying for it now, I think every single muscle in both legs/feet has had a turn being achy and stiff today. I feel like I ran an 8 mile race. Good thing I wanted to have a cutback week anyway, I think a few days off or really easy on the TM will get me back in order.

And my stomach is feeling questionable too :/ Same way it felt right before my norovirus saga last month, I *really* hope I'm not getting sick again!

SheCan

Cherie - you could always run the loop at Sahuaro NP on your way home tomorrow.  Lots of good hills!

AFM:  It was cold and cloudy (38 deg.) when I did my long run.  The good part was I didn't need much water.  The bad part was the wind in my face was COLD!  I was glad I brought light gloves.  I did a long 13.5 mile loop through the country with about 1000' elevation gain/loss.  I only had to walk part of one hill, which is a big improvement.  I slowed down a lot the last three miles, but otherwise, I felt pretty good about the pace I was doing.

WTG, Ginny!  That sounds like an awesome run.  You really are putting in a lot of quality miles.  The idea of stopping at the Saguaro National Park on the way home from the Airport is an excellent idea.  Next time I'll do that.  As it is, a friend called and asked if she could ride with us.  Its her birthday and she wants to go shopping and to lunch and stuff.  So that's what I'm going to do instead this time.

Lauren-- nothing wrong with a little DOMS.  It is good though that you have a cutback week next week.  Got my fingers crossed that everything will be back on track soon.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson