Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins Know Not To Smoke The Mistletoe! (Read 226 times)

hog4life

Hey everyone. Just sitting here at work. Cold has finally gotten better, think I am going to head out tomorrow and get a little run in and see how it feels.

Also a bit depressed these past few days, have had a lot on my mind and really been missing some friends of mine that I haven't spoke to in a while. One of those things where your not sure if there is something that has come between you and your not really sure how to go about finding out so you just keep letting the time go by and not doing anything about it???

Anyways, hope everyone had a good day, I'm up for another 8 hours so should be able to get a lot of reading/catching up done Smile

Hey Jimmy, glad you are feeling better. Don't put that off about your friends, the longer you wait, the harder it will be, give 'em a call. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thank you Mitch! And awood, and everyone else who weighed in on my plan. I'm currently copying and pasting all the advice in this thread and another thread I posted asking for training advice into a word document to refer to.

One question about adding an extra day, I think it was recommended to me once to first increase my weekly runs, and then grab a mile from each of them and put it on a second day, so my weekly mileage stays the same. ie one week run a 2 mile run and a 3 mile run plus the long run. The next run a 3 mile run and another 3 mile run plus the LR. The next a 3 mile run and a 4 mile run plus the LR. The next a 2 mile run, a 2 mile run, a 3 mile run and a LR, adding a day but keeping the overall mileage during the week the same. Does that make sense to do? If not, do I just jump right in with a 4th day?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

5 miles for me at an 8:35 pace. My new tights kept me nice and warm, though my DDs cannot stop gagging when they see me in them.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi Pens...

5 miles for me at an 8:35 pace. My new tights kept me nice and warm, though my DDs cannot stop gagging when they see me in them.

.....mine just laugh hysterically...and then gag.

Docket_Rocket

Virginia is the only state that I've been in where my allergies act up like this. Don't get me wrong, I get them in the other states, but not nearly as bad as here. I think the rain brought up all the pollen and mold from the trees around here. Unless it's a good downpour, my allergies act up in Virginia.

I shouldn't have any problem in Alaska, but we shall see. I am hoping not because this is a pain in the rear!

Have you gotten tested for the allergies?  I was and after 1 year of allergy shots for my particular allergy (which is almost lethal), my asthma and other allergy symptoms have gotten way better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

And I am so behind on the Penguins, I answered a post from noon, hahaha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

.....mine just laugh hysterically...and then gag.

I am sure they would get along very well!  Smile

Zelanie

Hey Jeff, glad to hear that you're still running!  Sounds like we are still in a fairly similar place in our training.  I was actually looking at that New Year's run but now I'm not sure if I want to do it because my running club is apparently sponsoring something in town plus it will be Week 1 of my HM plan.  Looking forward to hearing more stories from the land of the hippies, though!

AFM, 6 done on the TM tonight.  I'm not crazy enough to do them entirely without headphones, though!  I used some backup ones that don't stay in my ears very well.  So I was the silly running lady who had to keep grabbing her ears every 30 seconds while she ran.  Oh well, miles are done.  The nice thing about running a 5K is that it apparently is short enough that I could feel pretty much back to normal today.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The nice thing about running a 5K is that it apparently is short enough that I could feel pretty much back to normal today.

Apparently, the not nice thing about running a 10K is that  I'm experiencing the opposite. Still wondering what all these muscles I never even knew I had are and why they are still so sore!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

My legs just did not feel right for about a week after my first 10K.  I wasn't as prepared for the distance as I should have been, which probably didn't help.  But they came back faster than ever after a week of crumminess!

hog4life

Kristin, IMO, you could increase either way. Or even try to alternate, like when life gets in the way. I feel as though you are very sore bc your base was a little low for the distance. If I'm not mistaken, you were doing around 12 mpw going into the 10k. The more you run(increase base), the easier a given distance will get. Just another tip, slow easy runs will help with your recovery too. Try tomorrow or Wed to do 1.5 to 2 miles, super slow, super easy. It may be uncomfortable at first, but your legs will loosen up as they get warmed up.
                        Bin Running

Gustav, I tried cycle once and my ass hurt after 30mins..

Awood, your base is looker better and better..

Damaris, Sorry abt the migraine..

Bill, good work on the 3M

Dave, Did you set a period that you gonna keep the streak alive?

Rach, sorry abt the run..

Kristin, in my opinion, I would add days, speedwork then extend LR in that order for 10K.. Speed work could be just fartlek..

Tomas, go register a 5K and get that official..

Liz, Have a great 5-7.. Scotty, Congrats on #72.. Will you hit 80 by the year end?

mjsmith, enjoy the rest day..

Nightcrawler, nothing exciting at works is good.. Smile Enjoy the run under those stars..

Mel, Enjoy the run on the TM..

Mitch, 5/6 x1000 with 1 min recover is brutual..

Hope'smom, congrats on the progress @ c25k..

That's all the time I have for personal..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

One Half So Far

Hey Jeff, glad to hear that you're still running!  Sounds like we are still in a fairly similar place in our training.  I was actually looking at that New Year's run but now I'm not sure if I want to do it because my running club is apparently sponsoring something in town plus it will be Week 1 of my HM plan.  Looking forward to hearing more stories from the land of the hippies, though!

Looks like you and I are in the same place, timewise and planwise.  I'll be doing my first half a couple weeks after you do yours.  Planning on doing Run in the Country in July and either Portland in October or one here in November.

What plan are you following?  I'm going to do Higdon...Novice 2 for the first one, and intermediate for the last two.  12 week plan, so I won't start until February.

Do come down New Years!  Would love to meet you Smile

~Jeff~

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

Zelanie

Well I will seriously consider coming down for the 10K!  We both have too-soft PRs that we need to take care of.

I am doing a Pfitzinger HM plan from one of his old books.  I like the idea of two long runs per week that are closer to the regular weekly runs in length, and the focus on endurance early.  It peaks at 50 MPW though, yikes!  If I can do it then I should be well prepared.  Lots of people here have been talking about the Ryan Hall plan, too.

I keep waiting to see if we have any snow tonight and planning how I could get some miles in if school is delayed tomorrow!  But none yet.

Bin Running

Jimmy, agreed with Mitch on giving them a call.. The longer you wait, the tougher it is.. That remind me to be meeting up some friends over this month.

Jack/Jerry, I think I should be wearing my tights infront of DS more often so that he can get used to "the look".. haa

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar