Beginners and Beyond

Josh Cox is my new favorite runner (Read 72 times)

Love the Half

At the Boston expo, there was a question and answer session going on and both Josh Cox and Desi Davilla were there.  Some guy raises his hand to ask a question which is, "I've been injured the last month and haven't run for the past 3 1/2 weeks."  "How would you suggest I approach the race tomorrow?"  The first thing Josh said was something to the effect of:

"OK.  So, you got an injury and instead of it healing, it hasn't.  You rested it and but it's been bad enough that you haven't run for nearly a month and tomorrow you're going to try to run 26 miles.  What a great idea."

Everyone laughed.  A lot.

After getting that out of his system, Josh then went on to say that he understands that you've paid the race fee and you've paid for an airplane ticket but, unlike the Olympic trials, this race will be here next year.   Why would you risk doing serious harm to yourself when you should be focused on getting better?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

GC100k

Good for him.  But I suspect he just called the guy's bluff.

If you talk to runners before a race, everyone has been too injured and too busy to run in the past six months.  They are all just using the race as a training run to get back in shape.  Nobody says "my training has been perfect and I hope to set a PR".

RSX

At the Boston expo, there was a question and answer session going on and both Josh Cox and Desi Davilla were there.  Some guy raises his hand to ask a question which is, "I've been injured the last month and haven't run for the past 3 1/2 weeks."  "How would you suggest I approach the race tomorrow?"  The first thing Josh said was something to the effect of:

"OK.  So, you got an injury and instead of it healing, it hasn't.  You rested it and but it's been bad enough that you haven't run for nearly a month and tomorrow you're going to try to run 26 miles.  What a great idea."

Everyone laughed.  A lot.

After getting that out of his system, Josh then went on to say that he understands that you've paid the race fee and you've paid for an airplane ticket but, unlike the Olympic trials, this race will be here next year.   Why would you risk doing serious harm to yourself when you should be focused on getting better?

I was there also but caught the tail end of Josh Cox saying something before they broke off to sign. (I was in another part and my brother called me to get over there)  I had my picture taken wiith Josh and Desi (she is 1 of my favorites) so was psyched.

Good luck tomorrow. I will be volunteering at the 20k chip mat (Wellesley College).

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Yeah that's some pretty good advice. I've had several people ask me the same question, they usually get the same response.

Good luck tomorrow. I will be volunteering at the 20k chip mat (Wellesley College).

Not a bad place to be!

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Love the Half

I was there also but caught the tail end of Josh Cox saying something before they broke off to sign. (I was in another part and my brother called me to get over there)  I had my picture taken wiith Josh and Desi (she is 1 of my favorites) so was psyched.

Very cool and thank you for volunteering.  I'll try to wave when I get to that point if I'm not too busy trying to steak kisses from the Wellesley girls.  Big grin

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

RSX

Very cool and thank you for volunteering.  I'll try to wave when I get to that point if I'm not too busy trying to steak kisses from the Wellesley girls.  Big grin

You're welcome, and not to worry.What happens in Wellesley stays in Wellesley.

RSX

Not a bad place to be!

I have been there 3 prior years, and it is a blast. Last time a woman asked me to kiss her.