Beginners and Beyond

Single people: Who moved on over? (Read 917 times)

SusanRachel

I don't have any special plans for the holidays - just running every blessed day that I am not at work.  I'll be going over to some friends' house on Christmas morning for breakfast then they are popping smoke to go visit family.

George, I was so sad.  I am going to refuse to retire until Army wins.  They haven't won since before I was commissioned.  Hang in there with the holiday crowds.  Only a few more weeks...

socutemd

Hey all.  For some reason I kept on getting a message that the forum was undergoing maintenance and unavailable.  Now it appears to be working! 

Still dating the same guy I mentioned a couple weeks ago.  So far so good.  No official titles, no serious talks - but having a good time spending time with eachother.

tessasnewlife

I am struggling with the holiday. Mostly because my mind keeps playing "what should be" now that my mom is gone. Some days are harder than others.

I officially have a roommate now. She made my kitchen unusable by putting boxes all over the place and then went out drinking with her friends. This may have been a very bad idea.

I am still sick- so I got no sleep last night and decided I NEED to do a trash the dress shoot- with glitter and paint. And my tattoos. Since back when I wore that dress I said I would never get tattoos, that my tastes change too quickly and I'd be annoyed with them before I was done getting them. Not true at all. I am going to wait until I get my next tattoo and then figure out the details and do it. No point in saving the dress.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Aside from specials on TV, Christmas isn't much diferent from any other day. Being Tuesday this year even having the day off is nothing special because I often have Tuesday off. Christmas and Thanksgiving are the only holidays the store isn't open. I often go to a friend's for brunch on Christmas morning. He invites both running and non-running friends so there's a mixture of topics in conversations.

I'm sure it must be coincidence but I got my flu shot on Friday and got sick last night and called out for work. This along with how stressful dealing with ho9liday shoppers is (and the extra hours) is likely to bring me up just short of the 1200 miles I was hoping to run this year. I'm at 1133.7 now so I only need 3.5 miles per day but I know I'm going to have a few more days off this month.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

SusanRachel

Socute, Go you!  We still need more details about the guy though.  Vague references are unsatisfactory.

Nicole, hang in there.  Hope all settles out with your roommate.  I'm sure there will be an adjustment period.

George, yup, it's a coincidence.  There is nothing in the flu shot that can make you truly sick.  You can feel a bit run down from it, but not sick enough to call out from work.  The flu MIST, on the other hand, can cause fevers and congestion.  If you go knock out a 15 miler, that should catch you back up so you can hit your goal.  Or not.  Wink

Got an hour of flying in tonight but need another .6 hours of night flying before the end of the year in order to meet standards.  Guess that means I'm flying again tomorrow instead of running.  Oh well.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

George, yup, it's a coincidence.  There is nothing in the flu shot that can make you truly sick.  You can feel a bit run down from it, but not sick enough to call out from work.  The flu MIST, on the other hand, can cause fevers and congestion.  If you go knock out a 15 miler, that should catch you back up so you can hit your goal.  Or not.  Wink

Got an hour of flying in tonight but need another .6 hours of night flying before the end of the year in order to meet standards.  Guess that means I'm flying again tomorrow instead of running.  Oh well.

Susan, I remember enough of my microbiology and virology from grad school to know that it's coincidence, but it still seems strange. And I should have known you worked at a fly-by-night outfit after the way you've described your boss. Big grin

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

SusanRachel

Susan, I remember enough of my microbiology and virology from grad school to know that it's coincidence, but it still seems strange. And I should have known you worked at a fly-by-night outfit after the way you've described your boss. Big grin

No shit on the fly-by-night thing.  I can fly only when I am not in the clinic, which is 12-14 hours/day, so pretty much the only time I can fly is at night. I just pretend that I am within crew rest standards because I'm not even close.  Got my last .6 (actually doubled it up and got 1.2), so I'm good on night hours for the year.

SusanRachel

I love weekends.  I got to run today.  Go me!  I also have an older, retired guy hitting on me.  I might be interesting if he was a little more active, but he seems rather couch-potatoey.  I may do a few things with him and see how hard it is to get him out hiking or bird watching or something.

RabbitChaser

Glad to hear you were able to get in a run, SR! I bet you'll be able to get the retired guy to become more active!

I've been a recliner potato lately, but hope to be given the OK to start riding the exercise bike when I see the surgeon for my follow-up appointment on Wednesday. Per discharge instructions, I took the dressing off on Friday, all in all, I'd say the shoulder looks pretty good considering all they had to repair. The pain has been manageable without taking the pain meds as prescribed. I do take one before attempting to sleep, but that is basically it. I am extremely bored though! I need to do something. Not being able to exercise is killing me!

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Eric

socutemd

I guess I should probably spill a LITTLE bit about this.  I've been dating the same guy for almost two months now.  He's my age, is an engineer.  Originally from the area.  He's tall (6'2") and I'm all of 5'0". He's always considerate and plans our dates in advance, comes up with fun stuff for us to do.  In fact, he's taking a half day on Friday so we can hang out before I head off on family vacation.

QuirkyOne

The former Kelly728

I guess I should probably spill a LITTLE bit about this.  I've been dating the same guy for almost two months now.  He's my age, is an engineer.  Originally from the area.  He's tall (6'2") and I'm all of 5'0". He's always considerate and plans our dates in advance, comes up with fun stuff for us to do.  In fact, he's taking a half day on Friday so we can hang out before I head off on family vacation.

Yay that is exciting!

The rest of us.... Spending a Tuesday night slightly drunky because we are sad about our singleness during the holidays.  Tuesday night margaritas.  Please ignore my dumb posting

SusanRachel

Socute, sounds promising!  Keep us posted.

Eric, glad the shoulder is on the mend. 

I got most of the day off today - still had to do 0600 sick call, but was off after that, so I got the car fixed (routine repairs), got my concealed carry application in, and went to the animal shelter to look for a friend.  The shelter was such a sad place to be.  It is really old, muddy, dirty with cinder blocks and concrete, bad ventilation.  Ick.  I wound up being too sad to adopt anything.  They really need a new building, but the area is probably not rich enough to support it.

tessasnewlife

Eric- glad the shoulder is on the mend.

Susan- Shelters are very depressing places. Both my dogs are adopted- I made Kevin get the first one because I can not go to shelters or look on petfinder (btw check that website out for a friend) and the second was a rescue we had already tried out... the last adoption thing I went to- I stood in the middle of the center and cried and refused to touch a dog. Kevin got PISSED and yelled at me the whole ride home while I was already crying. It was awful. I just can't do it.

Soute- Yay for you!

I'm in the middle of fighting PTSD issues thanks to the lovely fire truck that was parked outside my house Saturday night. Also found out monday my best friend and co worker is leaving. He has been with me since my husband died- I see him every day and lean on him way too much- and now he isn't going to be part of my life for 60+ hours a week anymore :-( Its just not a good week. I havent ran in two weeks. Most of the time I haven't walked my dogs. I'm kinda a mess right now.

SusanRachel

So happy to have a four day weekend.  What a blessing. I've been able to run two days in a row.  I'm going for four.  Smile

What plans do y'all have for Christmas?  I'm going over to friends' house for Christmas breakfast.  They have four children, so that will be fun.  After I'm done digesting that, I plan on six or so miles, then football and relaxation.  Gotta go to bed early because I have sick call at 0600 the following morning.  Tongue

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Had a nice, quiet day, fixed myself dinner and a match of Chex mix to munch on for the holidays. Also went out for a leisurely long run of 8.8 miles - after all the snow melted.

Eric - how's the PT going? The hardest part for me was remembering to do all the exercises they gave me to do at home on a consistent basis, but it really helped.

Susan, hope you cn get out and enjoy a few runs on you days off. Did the tornados directly impact your immediate area at all?

Tessa - give it some time. It takes a while to get used to new routines and adjusting to having another person around. Hopefully once she settles in it will be better having someone to share the expenses and chores than it would be living alone. Of course I'm not really one to speak because I live alone and prefer it that way for now.

Socutemd - glad you're enjoying the dating.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K