Beginners and Beyond

To Infinity And Beyond Sunday Penguins! (and then a little further!) (Read 212 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Today I get to enjoy muscle soreness from yesterday's weight machine workout! The plan for today is a bike ride in 37 degree weather - but only if the wind dies down will I make the attempt.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Decided to finish the week with rest days, so I'm resting the knee.  It still looks ugly but better than yesterday.

Unfortunately, I missed our only cold front by not running yesterday or today, bah!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Christmas Eve...Eve.

Going to try to get 6 miles outside later this morning, just gets us to 20 for the week.  Looks like winter is already slowing us down.

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Morning everybody!

Gustav - thanks for starting us off.  Hope the wind slows down so you can head out for a bike ride

Damaris - hope the knee recovers soon!

Jerry - hope you can get that 6 in later!  I feel you re: winter.

AFM, I did get a small double in yesterday (3 and 3) and I am hoping to do another double today with hopefully more miles!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Liz

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - You can ice your sore muscles by going outside for 15 minutes!  Of course, that could cause other issues.  I hope the wind dies down so you can get your bike ride in.

Damaris - At least you have a story to go along with why you're resting your knee.  Still sucks though.  I almost got into a bar fight last night.  Then, I would have had a cool story, but bar employees removed him.

Jerry - Is it finally "winter cold" there?  It feels pretty cold here now.  No more of that mid-30's heat wave.

AFM - I may throw on one of my new pairs of shoes and get out and test the knee.  Then again, I may go for the DOUBLE REST DAY, just to make sure.  I don't feel anything in my knee today.  It's amazing what the body can do with some rest.

I've had a couple of Christmas light mishaps this year.  I've blown a breaker.  I had to replace a string of light with a short that kept blowing an inline fuse.  My favorite though (because everyone's alright) was our disco tree.  It turned into disco inferno.  Luckily the fire was next to a brick wall and a chain link fence.  It just destroyed an extension chord, and blacked some brick and metal.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Morning everybody!

Gustav - thanks for starting us off.  Hope the wind slows down so you can head out for a bike ride

Damaris - hope the knee recovers soon!

Jerry - hope you can get that 6 in later!  I feel you re: winter.

AFM, I did get a small double in yesterday (3 and 3) and I am hoping to do another double today with hopefully more miles!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Liz

Liz Ninja - You snuck in on me.  Awesome job on the double.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

LOL - I can laugh about it because nothing bad happened but Disco Inferno is making me laugh and laugh.... the best laid plans.

Rest your pins one more day if you feel like or otherwise enjoy your new kicks, Awood!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Which shoe do I break in first though?  Huh...huh...which one?  I can't decide!!!  I know its Christmas Eve - Eve, but it feels like Christmas morning.  Well, with the exception that I'm not running around cooking like crazy!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Bin Running

Awood, luckily nothing much was damaged. I vote for brook.

<br>

Liz, way to go on the double. <br>

lobo shone now, so can't get too much personals in.  URD for me today. Haven't been seriously running since wed but I'm gong to start my HM plan tmr. Hope I'm not too rusty. Did the pft on sat but did not complete due to the 1.5mile run being cancelled as the weather is coming in. Well, hope to book a slot on 1st week of the tread then.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Awood, let me know how you like both pairs,. I'm prolly going with the Brooks, when I tried on the Saucony, the toe box felt too narrow.

liz, disco....... I have to agree!

RD for me, heading off to church, they have a great Xmas program planned.

SheCan

Good morning Penguin friends!

Scotty, I am so sorry about the loss of your mother.  Knowing it was her time, is some comfort, but I know you will continue to miss her anyway.  You're in my thoughts today.

Zelanie, I love the Christmas socks, and they're even more special since your DD got to make hers with grandma.  The puppy socks are adorable.  The cookies look really yummy.  Santa will be pleased!  Never had cranberry oatmeal cookies before but sounds (and look) delicious.  Didja get around to the rolo cookies?

Docket, sorry your knee was more injured then you thought.  At least try to enjoy your rest days and consider them a holiday gift.

Doc Liz-  great job on the doubles!  Is this your experience with doubles?  How is it working for you?  I've rarely been brave enough to double up.

Awood--- nice, nice Christmas shoes!  I suggest you wear a pair while you're running around cooking like crazy, to make it more festive.

Drinking my coffee and hoping to get a few miles in shortly, and then I really, really, really gotta make myself start wrapping presents.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Cherie - it appears that I will primarily be treadmill running through the winter and it's so gosh darned boring that I think I will have the best chance at keeping miles up by doing doubles - it's easier to get on if it's only for 40 mins or an hour!   A couple times I did 5 and 5 which was fine.  3 and 3 for when I have less time.  It's not idea but it's better than nothing!

Good luck with the present wrapping!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning.

Had a little too much eggnog at the ugly sweater party last night because I got a really late start. Haven't gotten to run yet. But here's the pic of me at the party that awood requested yesterday:

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

Good morning, penguins!  I'm sorry to say that I had to bag my run today after only 2.8 miles because of a not quite side stitch sort of thing.  I didn't say anything about it at the time, but I got the same sort of pain after mile 9 of my LR on Friday.  It was almost a side stitch but not quite, more towards the front and under my rib cage.  At the time I figured it wasn't a bit deal, just a "time on my feet" issue since I had slowed my pace and increased my distance I ended up with a lot longer duration for my run.  So on Friday I just slowed way down for the last mile and got it done.

Today I felt fine until maybe 2.75 when I suddenly felt it again.  So I decided it was time to stop and not take any chances.  I will take tomorrow off too, which likely means I won't run until Thursday.  Hopefully that takes care of it.

I did get the Rolo cookies done last night.  I also made dough for peanut butter chip cookies and chocolate and vanilla thumbprint cookies.  I will try to get those baked up today so that we can give them out tomorrow.  But I also have some shopping to do with DD.

Gustav- Hope the weather cooperates for your ride.

D- Hope the knee keeps improving!

Jerry- Good luck on the 6!

Doc- Glad the doubles are working for you!

Awood- Yikes for the disco inferno!  Glad nobody was hurt.  One year my husband decorated our house for Halloween as "Dante's Disco Inferno".  He has some club lights that we shone onto the street from upstairs, then had disco playing and a fog machine along with our regular Halloween decorations.  It was fun.

Bin- Hope you can get back into the rhythm!

Mitch- Hope the Christmas program is a great one!

Cherie- The cookies were supposed to have golden raisins in them but none of us are fans.  And I figured that cranberries would have a similar moisture content.  Hope the miles go well and that you find the motivation to wrap presents.  I'm still way behind there too.

Kristin- Looks like a fun party!