Beginners and Beyond

Running routes in Palm Springs? Also, adjusting to temp change? (Read 44 times)

Zelanie

We are going to be heading to Palm Springs for a wedding in a few weeks, and with just a little bit of time before my HM, I want to make sure I get my runs in!  I also don't anticipate a lot of free time with the wedding/family activities going on.  So I guess I'm wondering if anybody is familiar with the area and can suggest some good places to run.  I guess I'd prefer "good enough" close to town rather than "spectacular" out of town, but if there is a fantastic run that's not too far out, I'd like to hear about it.

Also, I'm used to running in cool Oregon weather.  How much of a shock should I expect going to sunny desert weather?  I'm thinking I'll be OK if I stick to mornings and evenings, yes?

LRB

Last year, the Midwest experienced a heatwave in the middle of March where it literally went from winter one day, to the dog days of summer overnight!

The day I remember most I was nothing short of miserable running in sudden 85 degree temps after work one day, it was flippin' awful, and it was only 5 miles!

I would recommend early morning for all of your runs, but if you just had to do any in the evenings, run them slow and keep them short.

Ball of Fury

It may not be too bad of an adjustment, Zelanie, because it shouldn't be humid, right?  I find it's usually the humidity that kills me, more than the heat.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

andee1296

If it was me, I'd just look at what routes people have posted on USATF America's Running Routes. I just wanted to say that I'm from that area but haven't been back since 1994. It should be pretty nice this time of year but I would pick the cooler times of day to go out. I developed a fantasy (which will never happen) of running from Palm Springs to Indio (or the other way around) on Hwy 111. Of course that road is probably way too busy now compared to when I lived there.

workinprogress11

Last year, the Midwest experienced a heatwave in the middle of March where it literally went from winter one day, to the dog days of summer overnight!

The day I remember most I was nothing short of miserable running in sudden 85 degree temps after work one day, it was flippin' awful, and it was only 5 miles!

I would recommend early morning for all of your runs, but if you just had to do any in the evenings, run them slow and keep them short.

Yep, I went through the same weather.  The first day of the freak March heatwave I started out at my normal pace and withered after 2 1/2 miles.  Yet mid-summer when we spent a good amount of time in the high 90's, I did just fine because my body had time to get used to it.  A sudden temperature change from cold to warm/hot, for me at least, requires slowing down considerably for a couple of days and inhaling water like it's going out of style until I start to get acclimated to it.

LRB

A sudden temperature change from cold to warm/hot, for me at least, requires slowing down considerably for a couple of days and inhaling water like it's going out of style until I start to get acclimated to it.

Agreed.

never run

With the change in weather run by effort not by pace you will be running slower, just enjoy it don't try to push it.

Ultra Cowboy

WYBMADIITY

Save