Beginners and Beyond

knee arthritis anyone? (Read 51 times)

sheepla

So, I've never had knee problems until the last few weeks, but recent XRays and MRI have shown moderate to severe degeneration of the cartilage.  Doctor is terrific and didn't just say "no more running" instead he asked "How important is running to you?"  Does anyone here have a success story to tell running with knee arthritis?

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I don't have arthritis but my doc wanted to rule it out last year when I had a knee injury so he did the bloodwork & scans to make sure it wasn't.  Nevertheless, I have a newfound respect for my knees.

What I have found is that treadmill running (while mind numbing) is significantly better for my knees than road running.  On my recent trip to Hawaii, I was running outdoors again and found my knees were awakened to the harsh reality of running on the road.  I was fine, but I could definitely tell the pounding was significant!

I am learning to adapt better on the treadmill.  I would like to mix things up more in the future as it's been almost a year now since my knee injury and I feel as though I've strengthened my knees thru cycling and other cross training (weights, etc.) to have a significant advantage over when I was *just* running about 6 days (30 miles) a week.  I'm now down to about 10-15 miles a week but having no knee issues and still enjoying many of the benefits.

If you don't already have a treadmill, I would highly recommend it but I'd recommend a combination.

- Treadmill

- Cross train (cycling, swimming, etc. tho all my docs hailed swimming as the holy grail of cross training!!!)

- Weights

Randy

Birdwell

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the knees in the early 2000's at the ripe old age of 22  (My knee locked up and I fell down a flight of stairs at work)

I didn't run back then, but was a very active swimmer.

When I started running, I've experienced mild to moderate pain and discomfort in both knees. I went and spoke to a sport med doc

(the one who treats the student athletes at the university where I work, in fact). He confirmed the earlier diagnoses and then gave me some good news hope. He thought I would respond well to a targeted strength training routine focusing on the muscles surrounding the knee.

It's worked wonders for me, when I follow it religiously (and not just Easter and Christmas religious).

His theory was the muscles surrounding my knee were weak and not capable  of supporting it properly, leading to some tracking issues which were the cause of my cartilage breakdown. I've been able to build up to a 30-40 mpw average with little to no discomfort.

Of course, everyone is different, we are all special snowflakes and what's worked for me may not work for anyone else.

I think I was pretty lucky to have catch the problem as early as I did. The degeneration was pretty mild.

Good luck! I hope things work out for you.

Singer who runs a smidge

I have some osteoarthritis going on, according to my doc, and coupled with runner's knee it's not a good story.  I can't run any more without pretty severe pain, like someone sticking ice picks into my knees with every step.  I've discovered I can walk with significantly less pain, so I'm walking instead of running.  I have noticed less pain when I ice my knees every morning (15 minutes with the bags of frozen peas) and when I wear VFF's or Merrell Road Gloves instead of shoes with actual cushion.  The cushion seems to make the pain MUCH worse, and I land a helluva lot lighter when it's just me on the road, which is easier on my knees.  The VFF's, having less cushion, feel better than the Merrells.

I'd been trying unsuccessfully to come back to running for over a year.  Now that I've finally given up and settled for walking, my knees hurt way less than they used to.  So I'm not ruling out a return to running, but I'm not planning for one, either.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

workinprogress11

I have moderate osteoarthritis. At this point I am able to just ignore it. I normally run between 40 and 45 miles per week. I always have some discomfort, but as long as I wear very cushioned shoes, it is manageable. There may come a time that I can't ignore it any more but until then I'll keep on running.

PADRunner

I had trouble with osteoarthritis earlier this year. The Dr. recommended an injection, can't remember the name but Scotty has had them.

I rested it for a couple of weeks and started taking glucosamine and it' seems to be doing much better.

Birdwell

I tried glucosamine and fish oil prior to seeing a doc. It didn't make a difference for me.

In the long run, the Dr. appointment and physical therapy proved much, much cheaper than a lifetime of supplements (again, at least for me)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I had trouble with osteoarthritis earlier this year. The Dr. recommended an injection, can't remember the name but Scotty has had them.

I rested it for a couple of weeks and started taking glucosamine and it' seems to be doing much better.

Synvisc is the name of the stuff.  The injections hurt like hell...it's a big ole needle that goes right into the knee area.   You get a series of 3 injections over a 2-week period.  I had mine in 2005 and the doc told me they are usually effective for about a year.  However, I have not had to have another series done yet, so they worked pretty darn well for me!

I have arthritis in both knees and I have had FOUR surgeries on my left knee - the first two as the result of a helicopter crash I was in, and the second two as a result of tearing my meniscus each time, when I was running - my 3rd surgery was a result of me tripping over a root on a trail run; and my 4th surgery came after I got knocked down in my favorite park by one of those darn deer that I SWEAR lie in wait for me to show up.  I think I'm their comic relief!     These days, for both my knees and my spinal arthritis - and pretty much my whole aging decrepit body, lol -   I am on a regular regimen of "maintenance" exercises that my Physical Therapist gave me to do, plus doing very specific weight training exercises at least once a week.   By regularly doing these I find that I am doing okay so far.   Sure, I get the occasional aches and pains still. And as I've gotten older (I'm 60 now),  I have had to make some adjustments in my running program, such as I can't run non-stop anymore (too hard on my spine now) so I've gone to the run/walk method....and I can't do distance running anymore - anything over about 10K distance just KILLS my back. But that's okay, I've been running for 31 years now and I had my 'time in the sun'  so these days I am just happy I can still get out there and do any kind of running.   I think overall, considering what I have dealt with and what I am dealing with, I'm doing pretty good.   It's not only about what your body can and can't do, it's also about ATTITUDE.  The mind can be a powerful tool for you.  So stay positive and do what you can!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

After two ACL tears, three meniscus tears, and partial tears of the LCL, MCL, and LCL, my left knee is doomed for arthritis and eventual replacement.  I am hoping I can hold that off for 20-25 years though.  I could stop running or cut way back to try and preserve my knee, but how the hell do I know I'll even be here in 20 years?  I'll live in the now and deal with the consequences when I'm an old man.

<3

After two ACL tears, three meniscus tears, and partial tears of the LCL, MCL, and LCL, my left knee is doomed for arthritis and eventual replacement.  I am hoping I can hold that off for 20-25 years though.  I could stop running or cut way back to try and preserve my knee, but how the hell do I know I'll even be here in 20 years?  I'll live in the now and deal with the consequences when I'm an old man.

Why the hell not, they can never really predict long term prognosis for that kind of stuff anyway. As long as MBC is aware she's gonna be pushing you around in a wheelchair at some point. Although she's probably doing some pretty serious damage to her body as well, maybe you guys can get his & hers electric scooters.

Dave

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ok, now this thread is making my knees hurt!

Maybe a full carbon-fiber scooter w/ carbon fiber wheels & bars??

Randy