Beginners and Beyond

What do you splurge on? (Read 115 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Cameras/lenses and dive trips.  (Which means I splurge on dive gear too, kind of by default.  Why do I gravitate toward expensive hobbies?!)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

happylily

When I was younger and could least afford it, I used to save all my paychecks to buy art in art galleries and at auction houses. I ate tons of Ramen noodles and Kraft macaroni because of that. I also spent a lot on antiques. My house is full of old paintings and furniture now, and all I want to do is get away from all it. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

YAYpril - B-Plus

I feel you could get some inknburn out of this.  "Well, YOU got a new laptop, sniff."

I like the way you think.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Very little.

Travel eats up a lot of discretionary spending, but its basically taking DD to the UK to visit folks for now.

I guess my biggest splurge is retirement funding...

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

The Mc

Food.  I hit a few farmers' markets and will drop coin on good, organic meat and veggies.

Trips with my kids.  Since I only see them half the time, I make an effort to do something fun with them every summer.  Still working on this summer's plans.

Papa don't take no mess.

Hip Redux

Very little.

Travel eats up a lot of discretionary spending, but its basically taking DD to the UK to visit folks for now.

I guess my biggest splurge is retirement funding...

That's so.... responsible of you!   Geesh.  :P

HobbitLegs

elevenses

We splurge on travel, food, and beer. DH is a drummer and has an enclosed garage full of music equipment, but I will say he's really good at finding stuff used or discounted. I enjoy races and DH likes 5ks, but we have only done one expensive one that required travel. We're looking at some destination races that have 5k's for DH and a half for me so we can do travel and running together.

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

Usually something of the electrical nature...  I had 4 Xbee's, 100 RGB LED's, and an Arduino in the mail last night.  FUN WEEKEND AHEAD!  Big grin

Something witty

delicate flower

Electronics, travel, and more recently, racing and bike event registrations.

<3

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Us too!   In the days before we had dogs, we did at least two trips a year.  Now it's harder to find pet sitting for our merry band of semi-dysfunctional dogs and we do less traveling... but we do have plans to travel next year (Hawaii).

We do?

OK!

(lol - we're invited, right?)

catwhoorg

Labrat

That's so.... responsible of you!   Geesh.  :P

I know, crazy isn't it.

I forgot college funding for DD as well. (she isn't even 2 yet, but it will be fully funded before she graduates HS)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Anything for my DD. I'm a pushover. At least she's only 1.

- Andrew

adkkev

travel.  I guess 11 trips to Alaska in the last 15 years would count as "splurging".  Big grin

Jess runs for bacon

Kristin, you should go to WD50. I have been dying to go but it's a gazillion dollars. One day soon though....

Philliefan33

Not many routine splurges for us.  We aren't foodies, and I'm happier with an $8 burrito meal from the local Mexican place than I would be going to a fancy-chef restaurant.  Wine?  Eh, I can take it or leave it.  Don't waste the good stuff on me.

Like catwhoorg, we always fund our retirement plans and saved for our two D's to go to college from the day they were born.  With only two semesters left to pay for, we are assured of getting them both through undergrad without loans.

Since the pressure is off regarding college educations, we splurged big-time last year by purchasing a weekend/vacation home in the mountains.  We don't rent it out -- it's all for our enjoyment.  Of course that triggers some other splurges on toys...(kayaks, bikes, trail cams).