Beginners and Beyond

Buying New Running Shoes (Read 99 times)

Should I buy a new pair of the models I already wear at a discount online? Should I go to my LRS and be fitted for something new? I'm not sure what to do here.

Zelanie

I just did both. Smile  I went to the LRS and got introduced to a pair that I'd never have tried on otherwise.  And I'm really happy with them.  But then there was a certain pair online that I've had my eye on at a price that was too good to pass up.

I do try to buy from the LRS and to support them.  But when a deal comes along that's like $35 off, I'm going to take that.  I'm going through enough shoes that I know I'll have the chance to support them again soon enough.

Luke79

This may be an unpopular method of shoe selection with runners, but I have found that I can research online and sort of connect the dots to find the proper shoe, and buy it online sight unseen.  I did this with my last pair with much success.

Should I buy a new pair of the models I already wear at a discount online? Should I go to my LRS and be fitted for something new? I'm not sure what to do here.

If your present shoe works for you, then you could buy it online. If it's not working for you - at least under some conditions - I'd go to LRS so you can try it on.

I have a hard to fit foot, and there's very few models that work for me. My most recent pair that I fell in love with (1st pair I've really like in several years, although haven't worn it in summer yet to be sure) is one that LRS fit me with - a model I hadn't heard of but a brand I used to use before they started making their toeboxes narrow. Guess what - they have at least one model with reasonably wide toebox now. I visited the store for the first time in a few years, and they brought out 4 models from four brands for me to try. And there's no way I could have figured out which of those models worked without actually trying them. YMMV.

That said, the original pair of shoes I got from that store about 10+ yr ago were the ones that contributed to my AT/PF problems back then - too rigid for me, as my PT recognized. (ironically, that was same brand that I'm now loving again)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          Just B.S.

I am probably not the person to ask if you want to try different shoes.  But I would say if the ones you

are wearing a good fit for you then stick with them, at least for a while

I started running in 2000. For the next 4-5 years I struggled to find a pair that was the "one" for me.  In 2005

I went into our LRS and the manager, a sports physiologist and one of our top marathoners fitted me for the

Gel Cumulus.

They were perfect for me and I have never had an issue since I started wearing them. That was 25 or

26 pairs ago. I buy the older version on-line when the newer one comes out and usually get them for $65-70

as opposed to the $130 they go for retail here in Canada.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

I have a hard time finding shoes that fit. I also need a wide so a lot of times the LRS has to order them in, and sometimes the shoe still doesn't  fit right. Some shoes I have to buy online because they are the older model and the LRS can't get them anymore.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

YAYpril - B-Plus

This may be an unpopular method of shoe selection with runners, but I have found that I can research online and sort of connect the dots to find the proper shoe, and buy it online sight unseen.  I did this with my last pair with much success.

I did this with my Mizuno Wave Riders and love them.

Basya, I figure if it's not broken then there's nothing to fix. I'd just buy the same shoes if they work well for you.

Docket_Rocket

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But if you want to try something new, go to the LRS and find something different.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  But if you want to try something new, go to the LRS and find something different.

Agreed.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Love the Wave Riders.Smile

I did this with my Mizuno Wave Riders and love them.

Basya, I figure if it's not broken then there's nothing to fix. I'd just buy the same shoes if they work well for you.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

Agreed Smile.

Love the Wave Riders.Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

Sorry to threadjack, but those who love the Wave Riders...are the 15s much different from the 16s?  I have the 16, but have considered buying a pair of 15 on liquidation from running warehouse.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

bingo_jenn

Sorry to threadjack, but those who love the Wave Riders...are the 15s much different from the 16s?  I have the 16, but have considered buying a pair of 15 on liquidation from running warehouse.

The 16s are built on the exact same platform.  They really only changed the mesh in the upper.  It shaved a little bit of weight off and looks different, but it should feel the same underfoot.

bingo_jenn

Whatever you do, please don't go to the LRS and try on a bunch of shoes, tell them you are going to "think about it," then go home and buy them online.  If you use the LRS's service, buy something from them.

Docket_Rocket

The 15s are a bit heavier and more supportive (or at least they feel that way).  But they are as good as the 16s, IMO.

Damaris

Fundraising Page