Beginners and Beyond

Plantar Fasciitis (Read 79 times)

Anyone have/had it?  I've been wearing my arch supports all the time and it's helping.  I haven't been officially diagnosed but I fit all the symptoms, except my pain is at the start of the arch, right under the base of the big toe and not necessarily the heel.  However, my feet hurt all the time, even the tops of them when I walk.  When I'm wearing my support shoes, they don't hurt at all.  Ugh, really?  Something else?  I'm starting to worry that my distance days are over Sad

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

It could just be a sore abductor hallucis muscle.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

How does it fit all the symptoms?  Foot pain doesn't mean PF (Just like numbness in the hand isn't necessarily carpal tunnel)

Pain at base of big toe isn't PF nor is top of foot pain or feet hurting all the time.  Does it hurt when you first step on it after sitting long time or sleeping by the heal and get better if just sitting?  Maybe you have several different things going on (you could have PF along with other things) and really need someone to look at your foot to properly diagnose. You may need a different orthotic; some muscles could be strained or inflamed; you could have imbalances elsewhere that is putting strain on your foot etc.

Marjorie

hog4life

Misty, I currently have PF and been dealing with it since May. Mine started in the arch about mid way, then quickly moved to the heel as Marjorie stated. The first steps out of bed in the mornings were terribly painful. I have been stretching, rolling frozen water bottle and golf ball. I recently ordered one of them night splints and have been sleeping in it for a week. From all the reading an research that I've done, I have accepted that this will take time to heal. I took 2 weeks completely off, then reduced my running from 5/6 days, to 2/3 days per week. Mileage went from 35 ish , to 10 or less per week.

happylily

Urgh. I'd rather not talk about it, damn PF... Undecided

I ignored the pain I had in my right foot all of May. I thought I was made of steel and the idea that it could be an injury didn't even cross my mind. I preferred calling it "foot fatigue" and my answer to it at the time was to run more, with more hills, to show my foot who's the boss. Turned out I'm no boss at all and on May 30th, my heel became so incredibly painful that I had to stop running (and almost stop walking as well) for close to two months. The doctor said he had never seen so much inflammation before, after I went into nuclear medicine. Now the sharp heel pain is gone, but a sort of permanent discomfort has settled in my whole foot. I do all that Mitch does; wear the Strassburg sock at night, stretch like a mad woman and roll a frozen bottle under my foot. I'm running and training again, but I live in fear that the mean heel pain will be back.

My advice to you: catch it before you are forced to stop running. Stretch your calves like crazy, ice, etc... It's still not too late for you!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hog4life

Misty, oh hey, I almost forgot. On a whim, I tried a heating pad, and it really seems to help too. From another B&B'r, the heat helps to stimulate blood flow which aides in the healing. Tendons and fascia have reduced flow, who would've thought? I sure didn't!

Ms Chenandler Bong

I dealt with this b!itch twice, both towards the end of marathon training cycles.  First time I used K-Tape to limp through the marathon.  Second time, I called my sports dr the first day of pain (I was 3 weeks away from running the Goofy challenge at Disney and was NOT going to do it in pain if I could help it).  He gave me oral steroids and sent me to the PT.  PT scraped my foot and calf and put me in a boot for a week.  I could run short amounts, less the 6 miles, at a time, 3 times a week.  It really helped that I was tapering so I just did exactly what the PT said.  I saw him 3 times a week until the race. The Dr gave me another round of steroids before the race.

I was able to run 43 miles that weekend pain free.  But the next week, I was in pain again for a short 3 mile run.  Kept seeing the PT for another few weeks until I was released.  Pain free since but took most of the rest of the winter/spring to build up my miles.

Anyways - what I'm trying to say is PT and a dr can fix your problem.  My PT was so impressed by how quickly I came in and how fast I got results that he used me as an example in a seminar.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

RSX

I have had PF 3 times but mostly 10+ years ago. If you don't have the classic first step in the morning worst pain of the day, you may have somethig else. I had bursitis once, and it was cured within a week with prednazone.