Beginners and Beyond

It's Wednesday, Morning Penguins! (Read 20 times)

hog4life

Ginny, yes I will do a RR, I have too many good pictures not to share. The main trail we hiked was Chimney Tops, but also done the Laurel Falls and Clingmans Dome.

Singer who runs a smidge

HsM - It's part of the task - two odors or mixtures of odors are presented through a nose poke hole. In a given session, the mouse will smell each of those two odors an equal number of times but the order in which they smell them is randomized. One odor is paired with a water reward so if they smell that one, they lick at a port and get their reward. If they smell the odor that's not paired with a reward, they're just supposed to pull their nose out of the hole without licking at the port. They typically start off trying to get a reward for every trial and gradually learn which odor is which over the course of the session (200 trials).

It seems to be working again! I have a mouse doing a task right now to test it out.

This sounds like more fun than weighing proteins.  What's the goal of your research?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Scotty, sounds like a great run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Gym after work.  No running RD, DW still wants to run when I get back home.   I'll need a nap for sure.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

PAD: What is BC (from yesterday).  Let me know when you come out and maybe we can meet up for an easy run and/or lunch.

Scotty: Remember the other day we posted about shirtless runs? Well, now that DD is driving, she drove herself home from her meet last night. She saw me running and beeped at me. When I got home about thirty minutes later she said, "Dad, that reflective vest you were wearing is really bright and I saw you from a mile away. " Me: "I wasn't wearing a reflective vest, I was running shirtless."  DD: "Exactly."

It's back up to 97 today but it should be cooler the rest of the week. As usual, I will go out after dark to run my four or five miles at an easy pace.

See ya.

From the Internet.

This sounds like more fun than weighing proteins.  What's the goal of your research?

It is fun when it's not frustrating, haha Smile Without going into too much detail (unpublished data and all that) I'm comparing the performance of mice who lack a protein that's enriched in the olfactory bulb (among other areas) to that of wild-type littermates. This protein allows the projection neurons of the olfactory system to sync up their signals before sending them off to other parts of the brain, so I'm examining what happens when they can't talk to each other.

Singer who runs a smidge

Awesome!  I know about frustrating -- my major advisor said when I joined his group, "I have a project in mind for you, and when you get it to work you can graduate."  Naively, I thought that sounded great!  Six years later ...

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Only had time for 2 miles after the gym, since our neighbors suddenly invited us to an early dinner.

First run on new NB 870's.  Seem okay, but I was a little sluggish from the leg machines at the health club.

Sounds like you are having a better day than yesterday, Lauren.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Hi Pens.

PAD: What is BC (from yesterday).  Let me know when you come out and maybe we can meet up for an easy run and/or lunch.

Scotty: Remember the other day we posted about shirtless runs? Well, now that DD is driving, she drove herself home from her meet last night. She saw me running and beeped at me. When I got home about thirty minutes later she said, "Dad, that reflective vest you were wearing is really bright and I saw you from a mile away. " Me: "I wasn't wearing a reflective vest, I was running shirtless."  DD: "Exactly."

It's back up to 97 today but it should be cooler the rest of the week. As usual, I will go out after dark to run my four or five miles at an easy pace.

See ya.

I honestly LOL'ed at this!

Rest day for me.

Running for TJ because he can't.

PADRunner

Hi Pens.

Breeders Cup.

I fly into Ontario 10/27 around 2. and Leave on11/2. Monday or Tuesday evening would be best probably, before it gets too busy. Probably staying at the Double Tree on Huntington again.

GinnyinPA

Ended up doing two loops around the county park while Jim and Ben did one.  No rain, fortunately.

Jack - love the story about your daughter's comments.  Embarrassing the kids is such fun.