Beginners and Beyond

Question - Warm up pace (Read 148 times)

Trail Monster

I'm working on base building for the winter and then using a spring marathon and 24 Hour race to get me ready for Burning River 100 mile in July. Current PR's are: 5k - 24:27, Half - 2:08Tight lippedx (TT, not race), Full - 4:33:45. I'm incorporating longer warm ups and cool downs on my speed/hill workouts to get more mileage without the intensity being injury-inducing. I have figured out pretty good ranges for my runs from recovery, easy, tempo, etc perspectives but I was just thinking today that I have no idea what warm up and cool down paces should be like. I ran today's warm up at 12 minute miles and my heart rate stayed super low, around 110 (based on my counting and not a HRM). Then I ran a 5k time trial (25 minutes flat). After that 12 minute miles felt too slow for a cool down so I did it around 10:30-10:45 minutes per mile. If I wasn't doing a speed workout I probably would have warmed up at a slightly higher pace, maybe 11 minutes per mile, but I wanted to be perfectly fresh for the TT. Thoughts or advice on pacing warm ups and cool downs?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

xor

Slow.  And build into the pace of your workout.  Or perform some drills, as appropriate.

Aside from that, don't worry about your watch and your pace for a warm up.  When you start trying to nail the pace of a warm up, you are perhaps trying too hard.

Trail Monster

Cool. I just wasn't sure if there was a range for warm ups since there is for every other part of a workout! I realized I'd never seen it discussed so thought I would ask. I just want my training to be 100% for BR!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

runfoolery

My 5k was at a 7:27 pace according to my Garmin - my warmup for it was around 12mpm. I hadn't run at all the day before, if I had I probably would have been closer to my regular easy pace of 10mpm.

I think ideally it starts off slow just to get the muscles moving, then hits your easy pace, and then you throw in a few easy strides just to remind your legs how to move fast.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I just run what feels easy.  Usually my warm up pace is around 9:00-9:15, my 5K pace is around 6:40.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Love the Half

I build on all of my runs.  My first mile is typically around 8:30 and sometimes a bit slower than that but my easy run pace will end up around 7:40 after three miles or so.  However, that's just my normal easy start to easy runs.  My warm ups for workouts and races is very different.  

For workouts, I'll start slowly, maybe 9:00 or so, and build to around a 7:30 pace over 1.5 miles.  Then, I'll slow to an extremely slow jog just enough to catch my breath and I'll do 4 strides over the next half mile.  I'll wait a couple of minutes and then start my workout.

For a 5K or 10K, I'll run a mile about a 9:00 pace.  Then, over the next mile, I"ll go up through the gears.  Easy pace followed by marathon pace followed by tempo pace followed by race pace.  Then I'll rest a couple of minutes.  Then, 2 minutes at race pace + 2 minutes jog + 2 minutes at race pace + 2 minutes jog.  Then rest a couple  of minutes.  Then, 4 strides.  If I time it right, I'll finish all of that 5-7 minutes before the gun.

For a half marathon, I'll cut out the middle mile but I'll run that first mile a tad bit harder - maybe like my normal recovery jog building to easy pace over that mile.  Then I'll do the 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 and the strided.

For a marathon, I suck.  Both of my marathons have seen me go out 30 seconds slower than race pace in the first mile so I obviously don't know what I'm doing there in terms of warm up.

Cool downs are just jogs if you want but there is no physiological need for them other than they may keep you from fainting after a very hard workout.  There is no good evidence that a cool down has any impact on injury or recovery.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Remember a warm-up is there to get you ready to run the heart of your workout. Whatever pace, strides, or drills you need to get you ready is what you do. Starting slowly and easily, then working your way up to short efforts at race or planned workout pace should prepare you for the effort without accumulating any fatigue. Typically I jog or run easy for 1.5 miles or more and include some strides or surges at faster paces.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Trail Monster

Thanks all. I figured I'd get some good input on the why's and how's of warm ups. I think easy warm up plus some strides would be good for shorter races. I usually don't feel 'good' until 3-5 miles anyway (hence why I prefer long distance). I think I'll try slowly increasing from recovery pace on tomorrow's long run and see how that feels. The cool down is more of a way for me to build some extra mileage onto hard workouts than a necessary part of it. Thanks again!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Training, I don't worry about a "warm up" per se.  I will physically get warm before going out the door if it's going to be stinking cold though.

For race warm ups, my pace is below "jog".  Deliberately, almost painfully slow.  My thinking is that for 5-8K's, why waste any energy that could be put into pouring it on early?  Just enough to stay warm and loose.  For a marathon, it's a struggle to not go out too fast anyway.