Beginners and Beyond

Labor Day Weekend Penguins...Who Ya Gonna Call? (Read 26 times)

PADRunner

Morning. 8.5 this morning in a humid 77 on its way to 98. Yesterdays 76 was the low of the day it hit 100.

tracilynn

I ran 4 this morning. Icing my right shin which feels tender   Usually it's the left side that bothers me the most but The left shin feels fine. Gonna keep my mileage the same next week and see what happens.

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

Hi Pengs, I got me a 9.4 Mike LR this morning which is my longest in a while. Everything feels pretty good too. This run gave me a needed boost of confidence that I can cover the distance on my Sept 20 half. I'll just make this a fun run since it will be our anniversary weekend.

Traci, boo on the shins, my fingers are crossed for you.

Zelanie

Hey guys!  I broke a tooth last night (always on a holiday weekend, right?), but my dentist can get me in this morning to at least get a temporary fix of some kind.  What a guy!  Plus he is a runner who enjoys geeky runner talk about marathon plans and stuff, so that's an added bonus!

Afterwards I have my 16-mile LR scheduled.  It's not too hot today, so going out afterwards shouldn't be an issue.  Then maybe school shopping with DD, depending on the time.

Ginny- I'm glad that your DH is starting to feel better.  Hope you enjoy the hike!

Jerry- Hope the games turned out in your favor.  The home game here meant that I had no luck at all driving around looking for gluten free pizza crust to make pizza for the neighbors.

Jack- Apple store before Costco is one way to make it seem cheap!

Baconista- I'm glad your training plan is going well!

LRB- Thanks for stopping by!

Robert- Nice run in the heat!

Lauren- Congrats again on the mileage!

Traci- Ugh, sorry about the shin!  Hopefully it's just muscle soreness?  Are your shoes still fairly new?

Mitch- That is great news about the LR! Smile

GinnyinPA

We had a nice hike yesterday, mostly on old grassy roads through the woods. We're starting to see signs of autumn already. Today I'm planning a few miles on the TM.  It's really humid out there (DP of 70+) and I melted just giving Ben his morning walk.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Saturday morning: car was in the shop for routine maintenance, so did a run/walk in the area around my house.  Out my front door. up a street in my neighborhood, then diverted off the road and onto the trails of the park that backs up to my subdivision.  Worked my way through the park, came out of the far side of my neighborhood and threw in 5 hills on the way back to my house.  Ended up with 4.5 miles in a very sedate and pleasant 53 minutes and something.

After that I was pretty much lazy, lazy, lazy for the rest of Saturday - very enjoyable too! - and watched college football most of the day and night.  Most of the teams I wanted to win did win.  However, I don't get the NCAA schedule sometimes, how they match up some of these teams... for pete's sake...Notre Dame playing Rice....Texas playing North Texas....etc., etc.....never understand why these 'schedulers' do that....."Hey, let's put this really big, powerful team against this little team and then we can gleefully watch as the score gets really run up."   Sheesh.  Of course, sometimes that doesn't always work out.  My university  team - as one of the announcers described them on Friday night on ESPN " tiny little UTSA (University of Texas at San Antonio, team name RoadRunners) ...shocked the hell out of University of Houston by beating them 27-7.   And Hawaii last night came SO close to almost beating the Washington Huskies (final score 17 - 16).  And last year, Michigan State with Appalachia....but Michigan sure whomped up on them yesterday in some 'payback"  (which is too bad, since I can't stand either the damn Spartans of the damn Wolverines).     Even so, some of these team match-ups scheduled each year just seem asinine to me.

Sunday morning:  Drove over to another favorite local park and did 5K distance in 34 minutes on shaded off-road and paved trails. Weather was actually pleasant for a change, only 73 degrees at 8 a.m., dew-point in the 60s, lots of cloud cover and a nice breeze.  Rain has been 'threatening' the last 2 days around here but so far Mother Nature is being really nasty about it and not letting it drop in my area, although lots of area around us got some pretty nice downpours.

Sorry about the canceled game for you little one, Traci, and the DNS.   Happy holiday weekend, other than that!  Hope the shins feel better.

Yeah, PAD, we better enjoy this cooler weather while we can cuz you just never know in Texas when the hot hot hot will come back.

Jack, hope the 2 weeks help and sorry about the injuries.   My 'theory' about your aches-and-pains is....you run too damn fast!   Now, if you would just slow down and run MY pace - which would probably feel like walking to you, lol - then you'd never get injured. 

Hope you had a happy hike, Ginny.

I'll pass on the onion, LRB, but give me the steak!  Yummy!

Yay for your 30 miles for the week, Lauren!

A nap actually sounds good right about now, Baconista; since, like a dummy, I stayed up until nearly 2 a.m. my time watching the whole Hawaii-U. of Washington game, since the game was played in Hawaii.  Then I got up this morning at 6:30 a.m. and went for my run/walk.  I foresee a nap in my future on this Sunday, lol.

Glad you are feeling better, Mitch!

Sorry about the broken tooth, Zelanie!  Don't 'bite down" or grit your teeth on your long run today.  Hope it went well.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Spent entire day trying buying and setting up an emergency water pump in case our overworked sump pump fails.  I am not a DIYer And I don't' think it will work.  Already about 5 grand down the sewer and lots more work to do.  Fingers and toes crossed that we don't lose power next few days or we will have an indoor pool in our basement.  Storms predicted for tomorrow.  Think I need that long run.

tracilynn

OMG jerry. Drink heavily.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Yikes, Jerry!  Hope you get it working!

GinnyinPA

Jerry - We had that happen to us when we lived in Maryland. Several years ago, the remnants of a hurricane passed through the mid-Atlantic.  Heavy heavy rain. We lost power, and neither of our sump pumps had battery backup.  We spent two hours bailing until the power came back.  My husband went out the next day and bought battery backups and a better way to bail than running back and forth to the sink. We made sure when we moved north to buy a house without sump pumps. 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Wow. Taking a break from running is letting me do things about the house. Today we put a new dimmer switch in the dining room, installed a new ceiling fan in DD2's room, and changed the water line on the fridge. Now we are enjoying the Sierra Nevada we got from Costco. Nice.

PADRunner

Morning penguins. Weekend day 3. 17 miles on the bike. Gym closed today so that's it.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I actually quit procrastinating on my weight training and got up this morning and went to the Y at 7 a.m. and did my weight training circuit.  It's been about a month and OMG, my muscles were really yelling at me by the time I was done.  I really have to be more disciplined about doing this regularly, like my running.   After my circuit, I then got on the Stair-Master for 10 minutes....cuz 10 minutes is all I could last!  Have not been on that thing in forever and forgot how it kicks my butt!  Like my weight training, going to have to build back up again.  Definitely a good workout though, overall.     And in looking at our local weather.....YAY.  All our temps for the week are predicted to be below 100 for the week - high of only 97 tomorrow - so I can go back to being an after-work runner.  At least for this week, anyway.  Down here, as fickle as Mother Nature it, it could be 55 for a high one day and then 101 the next day.  Sheesh.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

2.5 miles with a rain delay.  We will have to do a make up run.  Looks like we are going to miss the worst weather today.  Our basement remains dry and hopefully we won't need the new pump, but its reassuring that its there and we can sleep again.

107 miles for August.

Jack, Sierra Nevada is a great choice, (even though its not from Oregon).   Almost finished our Stone Pale Ale.

Brilliant

Jack, I had to really think about what a Sierra Nevada could possibly be, until I saw Jerry's comment about the Pale Ale. Smile   The prices are great at Costco, but have you ever shopped at Total Wine?  It's like a freakin' candy store for grownups.  I go in for a 12 pack for a specific purpose, and come out with a total of 3 cases of impulse buys of seasonal craft beers from San Diego or Oregon.