Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Hip Redux

Wow. I can't believe no one has posted here in over 2 months! Does that mean everyone is healthy?

I'm checking in. My running went to $%&* after my debut half on July 4th. Mojo has left the building. My weekly mileage was way too low to do that sucker without triggering my runner's knee. I knew it, but I wanted to do it anyway. My knees hate me and my motivation is dead. Have I been doing my PT exercises? Nope.

Time to step back and reevaluate what I'm looking for with this running thing. I want it to be sustainable and enjoyable and healthy and a bit challenging. But it may be that long distance "racing" isn't for me. At least right now.

I'm thinking of just accepting run/walking by feel for a bit, and doing PT. Then seeing where I am and maybe starting somewhere in C25K once again and committing to building slowly, with no races (or maybe a 5K for fun, that I can walk part of?).

It could be that long distance running just isn't your thing - totally ok!   Sorry to hear the knees are still bothering you!

Yeah, not healthy here yet but working on it. Smile

GinnyinPA

Obiebyke - no reason to race if you don't really want to. Do an easy jog or walk/jog 3 or 4 days a week and don't worry about a future result, just enjoy the movement.  Or you could try race walking, if you do want to race but feel that running is too painful.  If you just want to be fit, then try a mixture of activities.  Figure out what gives you pleasure so you want to keep doing it.

SlowNUnsteady

I had a follow-up surgery to remove the big screw holding my ankle together and just started PT last week.  I can more or less walk, but running still feels a long way off.  Probably 6-8 weeks best case.

Singer who runs a smidge

I pretty much gave up on running altogether.  I can walk without too much pain, so I'm walking.  Also a little yoga in the mix here and there.  But to be honest, my knees are a LOT less painful than they used to be -- it's nice to say I can walk without too much pain.  That wasn't the case about six months ago.  So it's all good.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

obiebyke

Whoa, Slow!

Well shoot. I ran/walked 30 minutes yesterday and my knee is a creaky mess today. WTF? I even did PT afterward and stretched and foam rolled.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Singer who runs a smidge

obie, I feel ya!  That scenario is what made me abandon running for good.  Unless in the future I try it again. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

LRB

I pretty much gave up on running altogether.  I can walk without too much pain, so I'm walking.  Also a little yoga in the mix here and there.  But to be honest, my knees are a LOT less painful than they used to be -- it's nice to say I can walk without too much pain.  That wasn't the case about six months ago.  So it's all good.

On the one hand damn, on the other good for you!

Singer who runs a smidge

I make it a point of noticing every day how much less my knees hurt than they used to.  It helps keep me optimistic when I complain that they still hurt.  Six months ago I wasn't able to walk a mile, much less do it multiple times per week.

Hip Redux

In case you injured folks want a place to complain Smile

LRB

In case you injured folks want a place to complain Smile

My foot is playing mind games with me. I want to club it with a fuckin baseball bat and give it a real reason to throb. 

Hip Redux

My foot is playing mind games with me. I want to club it with a fuckin baseball bat and give it a real reason to throb. 

What happened?

Cyberic

First time on this thread. I'm pretty sure noone wants to stay here for long.

Hip Redux

First time on this thread. I'm pretty sure noone wants to stay here for long.

At this point, I'm like the Mayor of this place. lol

LRB

I injured my hip last August and it still is not right.  I rested it for two weeks for one spell, and seven weeks for another and it still hurt when I resumed running. So I tried strengthening it over a four month period and can now kick a soccer ball right through a one inch thick plate glass window, but it still is not right.

A sports doc, a masseuse and three PT's could not figure it out.  I am now seeing a chiropractor who says my hip is so out of whack, it's a wonder I don't walk like George Jefferson.  Ironically, I was adjusted just last night but she claims it is going to be a process so we will see.

As for the pain itself, all the strengthening I did actually helped me to manage the pain, so there is value in doing that even if it does not cure your underlying problem.  As for finding that underlying problem, you just have to keep a positive outlook and hope that the next thing is the thing that cures it.  In the meantime, learn to manage it so you can at least run and enjoy it.  That is what I did.

Wow, this was my first post in this thread two years ago! I actually did get my hip figured out, although now I cannot tell you when that actually was.

Cyberic

What sucks about my injury is that I don't know I have it until I start running. My butt hurts a bit, all over, because of the squats I started doing, but that's all right, it's normal DOMS. Then, after a couple of miles, the sharp pain at the base of the butt (high hamstring tendon from what I understand). That is what stopped/slowed me from running in the first place.

But I also have multiple issues that I was running through: I've been complaining  about my groin for over a year, but I think it's the adductors (abductors? ... the ones inside). Lower back is aching some at times. Lower abdominals.  I think the sciatic has a bit of inflammation also. It seems that I have new aches because I'm NOT running.

So I started to do some squats and one legged bridges. Will those help? I also tenis balled my left butt today (for the first time ever). Will that help?