Beginners and Beyond

Just another Reminder to try and Hit the Trails (Read 82 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Plenty of golf courses!

PAD, I don't know about other places, but you may want to avoid running on golf courses if/when you visit San Antonio.  The golfers here are QUITE possessive about their 'territory'.  And some of them have pretty good aim too.  Those little white balls hitting you in the head when you run along a golf course here can really hurt!   Not that I'd know that from personal experience...  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I love those treadmill fail videos lol.

Heck, a high school student in Henderson yesterday was hit by a car while on his  way to school, but apparently he was crossing the street heading to school so I am not real sure who is at fault here. He is still in critical condition.

They think they found the suspect and the car that hit the man in Warrick County, but no other details yet.

Not for me it isn't, lol.  I tend to go flying off the darn TM when I try and use it.  It really does throw out of whack the other runners on the nearby treadmills when they get whacked by a flying Scottydog. Tends to upset them too..and the gym staff as well! 

I better just stick to roads and trails.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

RSX

So some guy gets hit by a drunk drive at 2:00 a.m. and that implies that it is dangerous to run along the roads at any time.  People get raped and murdered on trails.  They get hit by cars on the road.  Life is full of risks.

They don't get raped and murdered on roads?

My trails involve our Charles River, (my very first running area) concrete, some dirt, cool wooden bridges, and intersections. I would run it more often if it had hills. My town has more traditional trails but I prefer my river run more.

Docket_Rocket

Plenty of golf courses!

Private golf courses, yes.  I have one in my complex.  We are not allowed to run in it.  We still do it but it's always full of golfers, the nerve, from 6am to 7pm.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

They don't get raped and murdered on roads?

My trails involve our Charles River, (my very first running area) concrete, some dirt, cool wooden bridges, and intersections. I would run it more often if it had hills. My town has more traditional trails but I prefer my river run more.

I run in rush hour traffic.  That would be hard to pull off.  Having said that, hubby had a client who was raped while running at 6am.  It was not in my area, but I still remember that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

A tourist was hit by a Sea-Doo while swimming at the beach in Negril, where I vacationed last December.

Sorry. I'm delirious.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Not last year, but maybe 2012 a woman on the riverfront Greenway was assaulted... I don't think she was raped but the man did attack her. I think this was around 6 AM or something like that too, can't remember it though. Normally the Evansville Greenway is relatively busy even at 5 AM with runner, cyclists and other people. I've ran on there in the evenings and I've seen a few questionable people (even women), I try to change up my routes as my times I can run normally don't vary except for situations out of my control. I can't change up my routes too much on the trails though, and there are only two parking lots but luckily I have a dog with exceptional hearing and I try to pay attention to what he is paying attention to. I also carry a knife and pepper spray because Rocky's abilities go only as far as hearing and being aware of our surroundings.......... he is not an aggressive dog sadly - even if I were in danger. I would much rather try to fight off an attacker that weighs less than a car than a car on the road going 35+ mph.

But like NevrGvUp says, when it's your time - it's your time.

You can do your best to avoid dangerous situations as much as you can, or you can be a complete moron and put yourself in dangerous situations like severe weather, right in front of an oncoming vehicle, or a known dangerous area.

I run in rush hour traffic.  That would be hard to pull off.  Having said that, hubby had a client who was raped while running at 6am.  It was not in my area, but I still remember that.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Docket_Rocket

I run after 5pm where there are hundreds more cars than morning.  In Miami, 5-6am is the time all the drunk drivers get out of South Beach so I am very careful when I run in the mornings, even on the sidewalks.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The more I hear about you area, the less I want to ever visit it.

It's actually worse here in the mornings when people are headed to work, most people seem happier when heading home from work in the afternoon.

I run after 5pm where there are hundreds more cars than morning.  In Miami, 5-6am is the time all the drunk drivers get out of South Beach so I am very careful when I run in the mornings, even on the sidewalks.

PRs

RSX

The more I hear about you area, the less I want to ever visit it.

It's actually worse here in the mornings when people are headed to work, most people seem happier when heading home from work in the afternoon.

I always look at %s so feel safe most times anywhere.  1 thing I didn't like about Miami was the unstaffed monorail. I'm sure there were cameras etc. but that aspect could have been better.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Also, just plain luck or fate.... and some people are great at staying out of bad situations while some people just fall right into them.

I always look at %s so feel safe most times anywhere.  1 thing I didn't like about Miami was the unstaffed monorail. I'm sure there were cameras etc. but that aspect could have been better.

PRs