Beginners and Beyond

Woooohooo! I'm running again (Read 105 times)

Mmmmm...beer

As for how much I should be doing, he said to start off with about half of my normal mileage.

Does he know what your normal mileage is?

Glad to hear you're back at it.  Did you decide if you're going to go for speed or distance this year?

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

music_girl117

Glad to hear the good news - hope you can get back at it with no further issues!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Love the Half

Does he know what your normal mileage is?

Glad to hear you're back at it.  Did you decide if you're going to go for speed or distance this year?

Heh.  Yeah, he knows.  In fact, he asked what a normal month looked like for me so when I got home, I took a screen shot of September and sent that to him.  I made sure he knew that September was the height of marathon training so it wasn't really "normal" but other than a bunch of marathon pace runs and really long runs, it was fairly reflective.

I still want to go back and focus on my speed.  I felt that I had made a lot of progress in that regard over the winter so I want to keep hammering at that.  It's just going to be a couple of months before I can engage in any full on training again.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Great news LTH.  Just take it easy if you can.  Six weeks is not too long and your old body probably appreciated the break. 

And there it is.......... 

Just straight out with it!!    Not even a hesitation!!

Randy

#artbydmcbride

I've never experienced this before.  Last winter I took 4 months off (zero cardio) and then ran 3 miles non-stop without any issues.  Another time before that I took almost a month off and then ran a 50 miler.  I'm not a super human, so I wonder why my experience is different.

Glad to hear you're running again!

You are barely out of your teens ....and LTH isn't....?

Runners run

LRB

Honey don't you know?  He's headed towards his teens again, only with a 1 in front of them. 

Zelanie

Glad to hear it!  I hate having to build back to just being able to go out for a "normal" run- sounds like you're doing well, though!

Little Blue

Great news, Brad.  I was wondering about you this weekend, we're planning to run Marshall again.  Don't over do it.  And ignore these whippersnappers, you can outrun most of them.

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

Very glad to hear you are back from exile. 

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

Very glad to hear you are back from exile. 

My sentiments exactly.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Didn't you hear?  I'm old now.

Running is dumb.

Love the Half

BTW, here's my rough comeback plan.

Week 1 - 30 miles.  No speed.

Week 2 - 40 miles.  Maybe some strides and maybe run a hill easy.

Week 3 - 50 miles.  Strides + light fartlek run.

Week 4 - 30 miles.  Strides + light fartlek run.

Week 5 - 50 miles with 4 x 1 mile cruise intervals (start doing doubles again)

Week 6 - 60 miles with 4 mile tempo run + hill work

Week 7 - 70 miles with 6 x 800 "I" + fartlek or hill work

Week 8 - 50 miles mostly easy

Week 9 - Start Phase II of Daniels 5K-15K plan.  (:::::::::sigh:::::::: Which is what I had just finished when I got hurt).

I ran 5 miles Sunday and 6 miles Monday and my legs were trashed.  Took today off.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Those first few days really suck...

I don't quite understand why a fatigued body can sometimes (surprisingly often) perform better than a rested (more than taper) body.

Keep at it...

Docket_Rocket

BTW, here's my rough comeback plan.

Week 1 - 30 miles.  No speed.

Week 2 - 40 miles.  Maybe some strides and maybe run a hill easy.

Week 3 - 50 miles.  Strides + light fartlek run.

Week 4 - 30 miles.  Strides + light fartlek run.

Week 5 - 50 miles with 4 x 1 mile cruise intervals (start doing doubles again)

Week 6 - 60 miles with 4 mile tempo run + hill work

Week 7 - 70 miles with 6 x 800 "I" + fartlek or hill work

Week 8 - 50 miles mostly easy

Week 9 - Start Phase II of Daniels 5K-15K plan.  (:::::::::sigh:::::::: Which is what I had just finished when I got hurt).

I ran 5 miles Sunday and 6 miles Monday and my legs were trashed.  Took today off.

I know everybody is not the same but I totally blew up my comeback miles out of the water.  Just have a plan and listen to your body.  Sometimes the body knows if you're ready for more miles than planned.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page