Beginners and Beyond

Joe Giles Mile (RR) (Read 47 times)

Antipodean

Short: I won the women's one mile race, coming 2nd overall, in 6:57. But, I need to stress it was a small race (9 participants overall), but I am proud I managed to repeat last year's win. Big grin

Long:

This is my running club's annual end of cross country season race, named after a fellow who donated the money for the cup many years ago by the name of Joe Giles. He's now passed away, but his claim to fame (as far am I'm concerned) is that he lived next door to the famous Arthur Lydiard, who was also a member, well coach, in my running club. The running club has a long and illustrious history, but our heyday was in the 60s and 70s with the likes of Peter Snell. These days we are a small club coming back after a mass exodus of talent about 10 years ago, and I've only been a member for about 5 years, during the rebuilding phase.

We had a 5 mile race three weeks ago, which had a few more runners (about 25) and I came 3rd in the masters women. In today's mile race the woman who won that (2.5 minutes faster than me) was my sole competitor. She's a Japanese woman about my age and I know she's fast but is not training a lot right now. I had done a little bit of speedwork (intervals, last week) for this and my A goal was to get under 7 minutes. My B goal was under 7:30 and my C goal was to beat last year's 7:58. The course was around a flat paved bike path through the park, finishing on our track, kind of a U-shaped course, with the last long straight heading into the wind, but this turned out not to be much of a factor, phew! The lack of competitors in the mens' race was a disappointment. Last year's winner is injured, and the runner up had a family emergency to deal with. That left a bunch of older masters runners who I was confident I could beat, and my husband. One older gentleman who was running told my husband during the warm up that he had once run a 4:05 mile (and a 2:38 marathon). Our daughter who is 10 was also running.

We set off with the moderate wind behind us (last year the wind had been terrible) and immediately it's the Japanese lady (Yuko) and me in the lead. I hung back a couple of seconds behind Yuko, not really believing I could challenge her in the race. After reading the 'how to run a mile' thread just a few hours ago I knew I had to be giving it everyhting from the get-go, but I had seen Yuko in the 5 mile put on a lot of speed at the end. After about a quarter of a mile my husband overtook me and hung behind Yuko until about the half way point before overtaking her. My husband is annoying in that he hardly trains, but has enough speed to blitz me in these shorter races. I'm trying to encourage him to run more seriously and train for some longer distances.

In the second half of the race I suddenly realised I was making ground on Yuko, and eventually even my husband, Charlie. Sure enough, by the 3/4 mile mark I realised I was in with a chance of catching her, so I gave it all I had. As we got onto the track I could see she was tiring and when we got onto the straight I really gave it everything and I caught her and passed her less than 20 yards from the finish. In the end, I finished in 6:57 and I was only 3 seconds behind Charlie, and Yuko was 2 seconds behind me, so it was a closely fought race. Of course, Charlie was extrememly lucky not many men turned up, but was highly amused to take home the men's trophy, and me the women's. DD came in 5th, so the whole family did well!! We had a short prize giving and then tucked in to a pot luck meal. Some people had their families along, and we all knew each other, so it was a fun evening.

The funny thing is now I'm home and can analyse the race, most of my PRs, from 1 mile to 13.1, are pretty aligned according to McMillan's race time projector. Note my 5 mile and 10k PRs are on suspected short courses. I'm not totally sure that is a good thing, but at least I am consistent. My 5k time projects my exact 1 mile time within 2 seconds, and my half marathon time within 6 seconds. Does anyone have input on this phonomenon?

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

EbonyN

MusicofEbony

Good morning from the western hemisphere Kiwi Runner. Nice job on the your race. Sub 7 minute mile impressive! Congratulations on winning the women's race and coming in 2nd overall. Don't sell yourself short on saying it was just a small race; racing is all about who shows up. You were the fastest woman in that race, and that is all that matters.

Formally known on the Runners World forums as Malletgirl02.

Congratulations on surpassing your "A" goal and beating your competitor.  Enjoyed reading your race report.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

LRB

Don't sell yourself short on saying it was just a small race; racing is all about who shows up. You were the fastest woman in that race, and that is all that matters.

Agreed.

Kiwi, I do not use the McMillan chart I use Daniels, which is v-dot based but the idea is the same, I think.  I would be tickled pink to line up my v-dot across four or five race distances.

Based on your pre-race goal, it looks like you ran your arse off!

Zelanie

Congrats on the sub-7 mile, way to go!  That's great that you are so consistent across different distances too!

Antipodean

Thanks, Ebony! It did feel like a real race, despite the small number of participants.

Bozydeco, thanks for that. I enjoy writing RR but don't want to bore people. I always love reading others' reports anyway, and try to reply to everyone's. I seem to be running a race every weekend at the moment!

LRB, I will try googling Daniels then, to compare. I don't really get all the v-dot stuff, but will do my best to get my head around it when I have time. I just worry that consistency leads to complancency, and how do I get better now? Actually, I'm guessing I need to increase mileage and do more speedwork. Same old...!

Thanks, Zelanie! This racing business is fun!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

delicate flower

Great job, Kiwi!  Sub-7 is sub-7 no matter who shows up!  Great job!

<3

SheCan

How exciting!!!!  Psh@ the race being small, who cares?  You did fantastic with a great time!  Congratulations to you, Charlie and DD!  Its so neat that you surprised yourself by passing your biggest competitor.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Nice racing, and congrats to the rest of the family as well! How cool!

Ric-G

big congrats on the WIN! and sub 7 is just great too...nice job!

marathon pr - 3:16

RSX

Congrats!! Great night for your family.

Great job Kiwi, congrats on the win!

The McMillan calculator does seem very accurate at shorter distances.  I still think it's overly aggressive on full marathon, though.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

A sub-7 mile isn't easy for almost anyone.  That's serious business.  Congrats!

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

LRB

LRB, I will try googling Daniels then, to compare. I don't really get all the v-dot stuff, but will do my best to get my head around it when I have time. I just worry that consistency leads to complancency, and how do I get better now? Actually, I'm guessing I need to increase mileage and do more speedwork. Same old...!

It is better to keep it simple, you are doing great with what you have, no sense changing it.  And Scap is right, it's not easy for a lot of people to run that time!