Beginners and Beyond

How hard do you push your injuries??? (broken femur today, full marathon tomorrow?)....... (Read 127 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I stopped a half arsed treadmill run on Monday because my knickers didn't feel right. Like GC, I won't run for trivial things like it's getting late, or nearly dinner time. But when I had shin splints, I wanted to run through it and I did. If I took weeks off every time my legs were uncomfortable from my fat body pounding down on them, I wouldn't run at all. I would probably run on a stress fracture too, because I wouldn't go to the doctor to find out I have a stress fracture.

Your knickers??  (short pants?) Wink

How did your running through shin splints go, out of curiosity???

Randy

Sloooow.

Your knickers??  (short pants?) Wink

How did your running through shin splints go, out of curiosity???

My knickers/panties/underwear, under my shorts. The hem was driving me crazy.

It didn't go too badly, actually. I initially got the shin splints from running in support shoes. I corrected the shoe issue (neutral shoe), kept running. I iced after every run and did strengthening exercises. It got 75% better with that, fully healed when I had to take a week or two off after surgery.

It depends.

I have taken rest days if something doesn't feel right, and that normally clears up minor dings.

OTOH, I have raced in pain.  At Cleveland 2012, I stumbled in on cramp-ridden legs because I wasn't about to DNF my first marathon, even with all time goals out the window. (Not an injury per se, but it sucked.)  Last fall, I was equally stubborn about not missing my Turkey Trot, even with some outer shin pain from nearly falling off a curb in training the week before.  It ended up being a decent race, but not what it might have been.

My first marathon training cycle saw some ITBS, and it was painful enough to slow me to a jog for several runs.  With daily stretching, it gradually went away.

B-Plus

When in training, I may continue to run in denial. If it hurts, I shut it down. Now that my race is over, I'm taking at least one week off or longer since I felt like I was always on the brink of injury the last 2 months or so. PF, achilles, other foot junk, PF again. Sheesh!

catwhoorg

Labrat

I did once play abut 60 mins of a rugby match with a broken wrist.

Went in for a tackle at the wrong angle, and jarred it pretty badly.

Plunged it into cold water, to numb the pain, and the weather was pretty bad the whole time so I really didn't feel to bad outside of tackling.

Two hours after the game my wrist was the size of my upper arm and it was clearly time to get it checked out better.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

SusanRachel

Depends if I know what the problem is and how it will react.  I have had chronic ITB problems, for example.  I will run through it in certain situations because I know I'm not going to cripple myself for life. When I had patellar tendinitis, I didn't run at all because that is what I needed to do to make it go away.