Beginners and Beyond

Is it Spring Yet, ThursDAILIES? (Read 53 times)

Hip Redux

I had a fox jump out at me on one of my runs - he was in an old cemetary (like, right, I needed more to spook me) and he ran out onto the road with a squirrel or something in his mouth a few feet ahead of me.  I think he was more scared of me though because once he realized I was there, he bolted!  I'm sure he didn't want to share his tasty squirrel catch.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I had a fox jump out at me on one of my runs - he was in an old cemetary (like, right, I needed more to spook me) and he ran out onto the road with a squirrel or something in his mouth a few feet ahead of me.  I think he was more scared of me though because once he realized I was there, he bolted!  I'm sure he didn't want to share his tasty squirrel catch.

That made me laugh. Smile

Glad I'm not the only one. It was just ridiculously unexpected.

LRB: Big grin

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Im still alive, spending spring break at the inlaws (no Internet!), love running in the country/mountains, but I'm having Internet withdrawals. lol

Today is my one year runniversary!  Hard to believe it's been a year already.  I tried making a separate thread, but my iPad is being stupid, so I'll have to wait until I get back to a real computer.

Hope everyone is doing well and having great runs!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Quote from AprilRunner on 4/4/2013 at 1:18 PM:

When he got off the path, he sat on a rock and just WATCHED me. It was very creepy.

I ended up doing a progression run. 10:19, 10:07, 9:56, 8:52.

By LRB:  Got his workout in and took in some sights afterwards...sounds like a smart dude!

LOL, LRB and +1.   I think we should do that if we ever FE with April.  Run with her a while, and then sit on a rock and enjoy the sights for a while...hopefully, not in a foxy, creepy way.   Joking

April:  When I was in Norway I went running on some trails a few miles out from the Norwegian air base I was temporarily assigned to. When I was about halfway done, this huge dog started running parallel to me, a good ways off to my right,  for about a mile.  I got back to the base and told one of the Norwegian guys that was the biggest damn dog I'd ever seen in my life. He started laughing and told me it was a WOLF!  Shocked  Well, what do I know about wildlife, I'm a city-boy, lol.    

When I first started working in 1996 for the university in Texas that I still work for, there was a lot of open ground and brush, etc., around the university back then.  I used to run on the trails in there after work.  One time a flippin' coyote started keeping me company.  Didn't come near me, just kinda did like the wolf did and ran parallel to me nearby.   I would stop...it would stop.  I threw it a couple of dog biscuits which it gobbled down.  As I headed back onto one of the roads of the campus, it stopped, sat down still in the off-road area and watched me go.  As I got a ways down the road, I turned around to look back and it was still there watching me, like...'what, no more biscuits for me?"   I told a runner friend of mine about it when I got back to the gym and he said oh, yeah, several runners had encountered coyotes in that area around the university.  Luckily, they never bothered anyone.  There used to be a few coyotes out in that area way back when, but now-a-days,  16 years later from that incident, we  university runners don't see the coyotes anymore, all the university buildup has chased them up into the higher hills around us.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

StepbyStep-SH

April - Nothing like a good scare to bump the pace a bit, eh? I have seen foxes about 3 times on runs - love seeing them, they are beautiful animals.

D2 - Congrats on the runnerversary - you've come a long way in a year!

My run ended up being really good. Only a couple of murmurs from my ankle while I was running - 10 miles in 1:31 for a 9:10 overall pace. I included 12x1:00 fartleks at about 10k pace, with 2:00 recoveries. And not only did I get to run in shorts, I had my first run in the rain for 2013. It was just warm enough to be pleasant as long as I was moving, and only rained for about the last 25 minutes of the run.

Now I have a question for some of you. I am planning to take tomorrow off to let my ankle have another rest day, and I have a 5-mile race on Sunday, though my primary goal right now is training for a May 18 marathon. My plan was to get in a 13-mile run Saturday. I do want to get that total mileage, especially since I skipped a bunch of miles last week (including the first 20-miler of my training plan), but I also don't want to totally wear myself out for Sunday's (non-goal) race. I'm torn between doing the 13 miles at once or splitting it into a couple of runs, maybe an 8 in the morning and a 5 in the afternoon. Sunday's race isn't until 1 p.m.

What say you, Dailies?

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Scotty, I was born in Norway in 1982! When were you there? I lived there until we moved to Colorado in 1986.

I love your stories so much. You have lived the most interesting life, I swear. LOL.

Dave, happy runniversary Smile

Shari, great 10-miler. I can't help you on your conundrum, but I'm interested to see what others have to recommend.

Hip Redux

Now I have a question for some of you. I am planning to take tomorrow off to let my ankle have another rest day, and I have a 5-mile race on Sunday, though my primary goal right now is training for a May 18 marathon. My plan was to get in a 13-mile run Saturday. I do want to get that total mileage, especially since I skipped a bunch of miles last week (including the first 20-miler of my training plan), but I also don't want to totally wear myself out for Sunday's (non-goal) race. I'm torn between doing the 13 miles at once or splitting it into a couple of runs, maybe an 8 in the morning and a 5 in the afternoon. Sunday's race isn't until 1 p.m.

What say you, Dailies?

I am no where near qualified to answer this BUT - I guess it comes down to how well you recover from 13 miles in its various forms.

For me, I couldn't do a substance run later the night before and then a race the next day - though 1pm is later than norm, I guess I would want to get it over with earlier in the day before.

Hey everyone!

Im still alive, spending spring break at the inlaws (no Internet!), love running in the country/mountains, but I'm having Internet withdrawals. lol

Today is my one year runniversary!  Hard to believe it's been a year already.  I tried making a separate thread, but my iPad is being stupid, so I'll have to wait until I get back to a real computer.

Way to go Dave.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty, I was born in Norway in 1982! When were you there? I lived there until we moved to Colorado in 1986.

I love your stories so much. You have lived the most interesting life, I swear. LOL.

Dave, happy runniversary Smile

Shari, great 10-miler. I can't help you on your conundrum, but I'm interested to see what others have to recommend.

I was in Arkansas until the end of 1982.  Then I went to Turkey, Dec 1982- Dec 1983.   Then Hawaii, 1984-1988.  Then to England, 1988-1992.  While I was in England I went temporary duty in 1990 for about 3 months to Gardemoen, Norway.  Thankfully,  NOT in the winter.  After England, in 1992, I went to Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton Ohio. In 1993 went to Kenya (got chased by a rhino there!) and Somalia for some months (was there during the "Blackhawk Down" battle).  Came back to Wright-Pat, and then went in 1994 to Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, where I retired out of the Air Force in 1996.    From 1973 to Spring 1979, I lived in the Philippines for 6 and 1/2 years and got to travel all over Asia.  Nice.  Out of the 24 years of my Air Force career, 16 of them were spent in overseas locations.  I got to see a lot of the world!   It was very nice - other than the times I was getting shot at, of course.  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

But who in this day and age has no internet?  Congrats on the runniversary.

Hey everyone!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Luke79

1 mile warmup @ 10:13

4 miles @ 8:48 avg.

It's going to warm back up tomorrow, and I'm off for a few days, so it's time to play on the mtb again Smile  and run!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Checking in quick....been so busy today.

Didn't run this morning but will go to the gym tonight after work for some elliptical/treadmill/strengthening. My new shoes came in....was hoping to race in them this weekend but in the spirit of "not trying anything new on race day" and the way my ITB has been acting up this week, sadly, not going to be debuting them.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

What say you, Dailies?

I was recently faced with a similar situation due to ankle soreness and cancelled speed work, cut a long run in half, and took an extra day off.

You can always move forward from missed mileage, not so much from a nagging injury that becomes worse.  I would say just make it an 8 mile run and be done, but I am the cautious type.  ; )

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

New kicks. Mizuno Wave Elixir 8. The pink didn't come out as bright in the pic but they are BRIGHT PINK!!! Arrived yesterday. I am in LOVE. Now just hoping they work well for me. They are less supportive than my Wave Inspires, so they are for racing mostly.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

Beautiful kicks. Kristin!

On the sixth day, Oski ran.

And, it sucked.  5 days off, finally feeling back to normal and 1.5 miles in and the back was so unhappy.  Dammit.  I tried a walk/run but it didn't matter, as soon as I ran again, it hurt.

The good news is I don't seem any worse after.