Beginners and Beyond

I knew I was a runner when... (Read 591 times)

MrNamtor

My excuse is that I was starving, I had Christmas cookies in lieu of supper yesterday and the cookies just didn't do the job for me. They failed at feeding this runner. I woke up in the middle of the night dreaming about toasts with PB. Now, I'm on my second breakfast, toasts and jam. Big grin

Amazingly, that is EXACTLY what happened to me! No just kidding. I have insomnia sometimes and then I'm up till 3-4 am. Not normal for me but not completely abnormal. It works out because today I'm tired as hell so I'll be able to go to sleep early and fix the cycle.

I totally relate to getting up in the middle of the night to eat though. I think I've sleep walked to the refrigerator at times. Right now the fridge has some wilted veggies and a  bottle of salad dressing in it, so I'm safe from that.

MrNamtor

Honestly, I think tennis players are close to being the ultimate standard of physical fitness. Observe:

On the other hand:

MrNamtor

I agree that there are way other standards of fitness besides being in shape as a runner. I was just talking about the public perception.  Like if someone says "I play an hour and a half of tennis a day" or "I lift weights for an hour and a half a day" you think, oh they must be good at tennis or they must be really big or whatever. If someone says "I run 15 miles a day", most people think that you are really physically fit to be able to do that. It comes up first before "that person must be really good at running"

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Actually the general non-running public, upon hearing 15 miles per day, first probably thinks, "wow this  person is crazy!" THEN "wow they must be fit" Wink

I agree that there are way other standards of fitness besides being in shape as a runner. I was just talking about the public perception.  Like if someone says "I play an hour and a half of tennis a day" or "I lift weights for an hour and a half a day" you think, oh they must be good at tennis or they must be really big or whatever. If someone says "I run 15 miles a day", most people think that you are really physically fit to be able to do that. It comes up first before "that person must be really good at running"

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

notimeforthat

I don't think the non-running public is impressed by running. They are REALLY unimpressed when all people that run do, is talk about running. Trust me on this.

kitteh

For me it was when I passed a couple standing at a bus stop and then passed them again later as they were getting off the bus.

Hahaha, that's awesome.

I frequently RUN my errands--strap DD in the jogger, toss any mail or returns to be made or library books to be brought back in the bottom of the stroller, and we're off! I ended one of these 8 mile errand-running loops at the Santa Monica library once and a woman came up to me, very shocked that she had just seen me running over in Westwood (they're only 4 miles apart, or so.) It was funny because she just couldn't get over the surprise of seeing me at the library, I guess.

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05

MrNamtor

I don't think the non-running public is impressed by running. They are REALLY unimpressed when all people that run do, is talk about running. Trust me on this.

lol i do trust you on this.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I agree with your second sentence whole-heartedly, but not so much the first. They may not understand what a fast time is relative to others, but I think the non-running public is fairly impressed by running, especially if done with regularity and at distances of greater than a few miles. I had never before spoken to my next-door neighbor when he told me he saw me out running at 5:30am a few miles from home and thought it was awesome that I do that. That's just an example. I think it is kind of disappointing that you would suggest that runners aren't even worthy of some degree of admiration...for lack of a better term.

As for your second point, I don't even like to talk to other people I know who only want to talk about running in mixed company. Not all things lead back to running. That's why we have message boards and running clubs so we can talk running to people who like running.

MrNamtor

I agree with your second sentence whole-heartedly, but not so much the first. They may not understand what a fast time is relative to others, but I think the non-running public is fairly impressed by running, especially if done with regularity and at distances of greater than a few miles. I had never before spoken to my next-door neighbor when he told me he saw me out running at 5:30am a few miles from home and thought it was awesome that I do that. That's just an example. I think it is kind of disappointing that you would suggest that runners aren't even worthy of some degree of admiration...for lack of a better term.

As for your second point, I don't even like to talk to other people I know who only want to talk about running in mixed company. Not all things lead back to running. That's why we have message boards and running clubs so we can talk running to people who like running.

I agree with this 100%.

I don't even like to talk about running on this forum, unless a noob is asking for advice or i can get good advice from the group or the veterans. But since it's a running forum sometimes, you know, you kind of have to.

MrNamtor

/

MrNamtor

Actually the general non-running public, upon hearing 15 miles per day, first probably thinks, "wow this  person is crazy!" THEN "wow they must be fit" Wink

i used to think people who ran ultras were insane, like seriously that they had something wrong with them. When I started running in the park a little over a year ago I met a woman who told me she ran ultras and after she told me i kind of avoided her for a while.

notimeforthat

i used to think people who ran ultras were insane, like seriously that they had something wrong with them. When I started running in the park a little over a year ago I met a woman who told me she ran ultras and after she told me i kind of avoided her for a while.

My best buddy here runs ultras. She is not any more nuts than me, just likes to run a hell of a lot more than me. Smile We generally talk about our kids, food and moronic healthcare nuttiness (she is a MD).

happylily

I totally agree with this.

I NEVER talk about my running, or even running in general, with my in-laws or my friends. THEY are the ones who will often bring the subject up. Even then, I say the minimum, like when and where my next race will be. That's it. No numbers at all. I have two SILs who have been trying hard to run more than 5 consecutive minutes for the last 2 years, but they just can't (or so they think.) They cannot comprehend how I can run 5 or 6 times a week, with 60 minutes being my shortest time on my feet. I think that most non-runners view running as very difficult. Even running slowly is hard for them. OTOH, anyone can cycle slowly for a long time. And a lot of people can swim (not me, because it's FREAKIN HARD!). Even overweight people can swim (shame on me).

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

notimeforthat

That's ok, my mom called me and my friends, "bikers". I told her that I didn't own a Harley. Smile

RabbitChaser

For me, it was when I realized that going for a run was something I wanted to do, not had to do.