Beginners and Beyond

Report w/Photos: Boxer Boogie 5K and 3K (Read 48 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At  running events that I now do for fun - I call them running events because you can't really call what I do "racing" Big grin -  ' I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 59th running event and my second 5K of the weekend of Oct 26 - 27, 2013, as I did the Trick or Treat Trot 5K on Saturday (report and photos at this link: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/71751e2804e4445591349c0516aeda07/resume#focus - )  The Boxer Boogie 5K was held on Sunday, Oct 26, 2013, and supported Boxer Rescue, that has a mission providing nourishment and a safe environment for unwanted, stray, abused, and impounded Boxers, and helps with adoption of rescued boxers. The event included a 5K with dogs, 5K without dogs and a 3K walk with or without dogs. At the event there was also a doggie costume contest before all the 5K/3K participants got started. The 5K course actually ended up being a tad long  - post race someone with a Garmin told me it was 3.3 miles - and I ended up with a time of 39:57 for the 3.3, as my legs were kinda feeling my hillier 5K on Saturday.  As thunderstorms were threatening in the area, the temp shot up from Saturday too, and it was VERY humid out there, which didn't help.  Even so, nice course around the paved trails of McAllister Park, the largest park in San Antonio, and everyone I saw along the way seemed to be doing okay.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before The Race - Participants, volunteers, doggie costumes, etc.

My old friend, this big Mastiff, from a previous doggie race

Hot dog!

The dog on the right had a little knight in armor riding him

On The Course - sorry, some of the photos are a bit blurry...I sweated a lot!

After The Race

Post race goodies included some really nicely cold water and breakfast tacos from Taco Cabana, being served out here...

And I indulged in both..

Then it was off to get some post-race photos..the folks wearing the blue cotton shirts are wearing the race shirts the participants got.  How these folks could run in cotton on a humid morning like this...they are braver than I am!

This doggie stuck his tongue out at me, lol.

Water fountains in this park are pet-friendly and have water bowls at the bottom

My mastiff friend taking a rest post-event

Up for adoption...very friendly doggie

oops, I cut Fido out...

2nd try...

Now, if they had been ahead of me on the course I'd have 'chased' faster... Wink

Race Director (right) and one of our volunteers.  Thanks for a nice event!

EPILOG

Very nice event, lots of friendly folks, nice post-race goodies, really well behaved doggies - never saw any of them going after each other - nice course in a nice park, and all for a good cause, especially if you are a pet lover.   Athlete Guild did the course set-up and race timing and, as usual, did their great job.  Definitely would recommend this one to my fellow runners. Unless you happen to be allergic to dogs, of course. Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

TakeAHike

Great pics Scotty and a nice run too.  I love all the dogs.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Sloooow.

What a fun looking race! Congrats on your 59th race of the year. I loved the picture of the dog with the little jockey on it back, haha.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I could never take my dog to one of these, but they look like so much fun.  I took my dog out for 6 miles tonight, and he's such a happy camper.  Dogs love to run.  They all look so happy.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Aha!  A red shirt today, so I've answered my question from the other RR.  You do have more than 1.

Love all the doggy pictures.  I'm a sucker for a puppy.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Before I saw the text, I browsed the pics & thought..."Wow, a San Antonio race that wasn't 100 degrees??"  Then I saw your indicator of temps & humidity....(thus the overcast skies).

Still, very cool & love all the dog pics.  Some of those costumes are hilarious!!  (Owners too)

Randy

PADRunner

Another double doggie weekend.

Dad on the run.

OMG at all the boxers!!!! I need to do this race Smile My boys would enjoy themselves so so so much!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

GinnyinPA

I love all the costumes; it looks like a really fun event.

Cool pics, Scotty.

The "hot dogs" were neat, and water fountains with built-in dog bowls?  Brilliant!

LRB

I have never seen a fountain for dogs, that is pretty cool.  I always wanted a Bull Mastiff, never got one though.  Good post Scotty!

SheCan

Costumes and dogs in costumes!  Okay, now THIS one is my favorite.  Great job in that humidy, Scotty, and awesome pictures!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

So many beautiful dogs at this event!