Beginners and Beyond

I Awoke for This, SUNDAILIES? (Read 41 times)

Hip Redux

Oski, WTH is with the dissing?!?

Well, now that thread is a total mess, so errrrr..... I thought it was a fairly basic question but I guess I hit some "nerves".     Solid day of working out for you, Basya, nice work.

Shirfan - I hope you got all your thinking done with your 26!  Nice sunday marathon (I rounded up).  Smile

April - ok, I'll pass on the chickpea cupcakes lol

Jess runs for bacon

Didn't get to run today, we went for a long walk and geocached instead. I had a good time though. Just finished my ITB rehab and some core work.

B-Plus

April, I feel your OCD pain. My March total is 158.3, which is 0.2 miles short of PB. Did not realize it till just now, since I was planning a shorter run today I wasn't even thinking about it. Should I just go run to the end of the block & back? 

Well, I had no idea where I was at for rounding either on the weekly or the monthly, and as it so happens, after my 7.9 miles @ 8:05, I've ended the week at 70 miles on the button. What a great trail run that was. I just jumped into the trails without any set route in mind and put one foot in front of the other and turned whenever I felt like it. It was nice to get that change of scenery.

Shirfan - Nice 26. I hope you thought through everything you wanted to.

Docket_Rocket

Today was supposed to be an SRD but since I didn't run what I wanted yesterday, I did 9 miles with 4 @ MP.  Yesterday, I could barely eek out a 12mm and today I was doing MP miles like it was nobody's business.  Dave, I felt just like you yesterday.  Good thing our lungs were working today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I think it was a good question (I've been wondering the same thing).  Don't let those that are too emotional get you down.

Well, now that thread is a total mess, so errrrr..... I thought it was a fairly basic question but I guess I hit some "nerves".     Solid day of working out for you, Basya, nice work.

Shirfan - I hope you got all your thinking done with your 26!  Nice sunday marathon (I rounded up).  Smile

April - ok, I'll pass on the chickpea cupcakes lol

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

I think it was a good question (I've been wondering the same thing).  Don't let those that are too emotional get you down.

Eh, it's fine.  I got some good advice and things to think about.  I just didn't need to hear about how lame my PRs are in addition Smile

Docket_Rocket

I don't understand why people keep equating speed with how well we train or the knowledge we have.  It is simply not true in every case.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Eh, it's fine.  I got some good advice and things to think about.  I just didn't need to hear about how lame my PRs are in addition Smile

Apparently you didn't tell them about your last 5K......

Hip Redux

I don't understand why people keep equating speed with how well we train or the knowledge we have.  It is simply not true in every case.

Right, you can't compare times across people and understand where they are in terms of training, athletic ability, etc.   I know I'm not fast compared to others, but I am OK with it.   I'm not trying to win anything, I am just trying to do well for myself.    So when my 5K goes from 34 minutes to ~27, I am happy.    To someone else, maybe a 26:55 is a shitty time, but for me, it's good.   Please don't rain on my parade lol

As I've said before, it's about the dedication, not the distance or the speed.   We're all runners, doing what we can do better ourselves.

Hip Redux

Apparently you didn't tell them about your last 5K......

LOL

You mean my spectacular 22:43 that was really only 2.4 miles?

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

So, what would y'all think if I told you that my Easter dinner was fresh Kielbasa (imported from Parma, Ohio), Potato & Chees Pieogis pan fried in sautéed Onions, garlic, & pepper, and a big honkin' salad with lots of stuff in it.  This after a ham and cheese omelet that I had for brunch.

It was all good - very good. I'm now a fat-laden, garlic-infested, overfed runner. Tomorrow's going to be a long, slow running day!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Right, you can't compare times across people and understand where they are in terms of training, athletic ability, etc.   I know I'm not fast compared to others, but I am OK with it.   I'm not trying to win anything, I am just trying to do well for myself.    So when my 5K goes from 34 minutes to ~27, I am happy.    To someone else, maybe a 26:55 is a shitty time, but for me, it's good.   Please don't rain on my parade lol

As I've said before, it's about the dedication, not the distance or the speed.   We're all runners, doing what we can do better ourselves.

Oski,  I read that thread, and what amazes me is that you can even walk much less run with all those herniated discs.

I have had my share of back problems; rendered pretty much immobile a number of times, that is an awful feeling. You realize of all the body parts you can injure, that is the one you pretty much can't do anything without. (OK that sentence made no sense, but I think you get the idea.) My problems are supposedly due to degenerated discs, rather than herniations (although I'm not convinced they can really diagnose these things properly). I was told never to run due to the impact. Which sounded like it made sense, and I obeyed that for a long time; however no problems since I started running a few years ago. And in fact for the last ~7 years that I have been doing yoga 2-3x/week, I have not had any major back flare-ups at all. Can't prove that connection, but I am sticking to it. Which is one reason I don't run more than 4-5x/week, don't want to squeeze out the yoga. I'm not sure whether core strengthening & flexibility type workouts would help your situation, I am guessing you have already looked into this.

Also FWIW, I would think you can do a lot on your volume. I ran a marathon on running 3 days/week, ~25 mpw base. It didn't end pretty, and of course generally not recommended, which is why I have been increasing the frequency & mpw over the last few months, hoping to do it better next time. But I'm sure in the end one of the experts on the forum will give you some advice to make the best of what you can do, I would imagine the occasional HM is not out of the question. Looking back at the other thread I see that you and Nobby are now the best of friends.Smile

Dave

Hip Redux

Dave - yeah, Nobby and I are now on the same page.  It's all good.  Big grin

I have had back problems for about ~15 years now.  I have had some pretty bad periods and some really good periods.    I think anyone in my position would do something similar - you just have to find something that makes you happy and healthy and do it as best you can and be smart about it.   I'm still learning the "smart" part, but getting there.

Disc degeneration and herniations end up pretty much having the same symptoms but with different causes. In the end, your nerves are getting irritated and that's never a good thing.  I had a pretty bad flare up in January, and it's left me with diminished feeling in my right foot.   My strength is good so my therapist thinks it's just a matter of time until things heal and get back to normal.   

I would love to be able to do another half this year!  But I am resisting the urge and have told myself to work on base and short distances for this year and revisit how I feel about next year.   It's hard though. Big grin

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

LOL

You mean my spectacular 22:43 that was really only 2.4 miles?

Hey Athinks says it was a 5k so it must have been.