Beginners and Beyond

Race Report w/Photos: Too Hot To Handle 5K and 15K (Read 35 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO:  I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 42nd event of 2013, held July 14 - Bastille Day, but no participants lost their heads, thank goodness Wink -  and my 2nd event of this weekend after doing an 8K on the morning of July 13.  This event was put on by iRun Texas -http://www.iruntexas.net/  - , a very good running specialty store in the San Antonio area, owned by Mitch, whom I got to meet in person today, and one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to know.  This was the 3rd annual Too Hot To Handle 5K and 15K and, as usual, lived up to its name...it was warm out there!  The event was held at Boerne City Lake Park, a pretty park with, of course, a lake.  Big grin 193 participants for the 5K,  and 212 doing the 15K - brave souls, those 15K folks (or should I say "soles" Wink) with our Texas summer weather!  I ended up with 35:16 chip time.  I probably could have finished 34-something, but on the way back to the finish line I stopped to give a dog biscuit to a very nice doggie who was at the front gate entrance of the park.  We all have our priorities, right?  Obviously, finish time is not one of mine. Joking

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Apologies for the 'blotchy" spots on some of the photos, especially post-race, as I kept sweating all over my lens, no matter how much I wiped it clean after each photo taken..as said, it was warm...and I'm a fat guy...so I sweat a LOT..otherwise...I'd explode.  Big grin  Even so, you can make out who everyone is, so if I took your photo, you should be able to recognize yourself, hopefully.  If you can't recognize yourself then answer these questions.....how many fingers am I holding up?  What day of the month is it?   Who is the President of the US?  Wink   And apologies if I took your photo and it is not here.  A couple of them did not come out..after I got home, I saw that I had a portion of my big fat thumb over the lens, so had to delete those. Good thing I don't get paid for doing this!

Apologies to the viewers of this report as it is long, because I did not realize until I got home that I took NINETY-TWO photos at this event! No wonder my camera battery finally died while I was out there!  The folks wearing the red "Too Hot To Handle"  tech-tee tank tops are wearing the race shirt participants got in the goodie bags.  Some wore the white tanks that those who did last year's event got for that race.

BEFORE THE RACE

We did a little x-country walk from the parking area to the start/finish area

Me in front of the lake, and some views of the lake.

Participants, supporters, volunteers

Getting ready to start...5K and 15K folks all started together

ON THE COURSE

Out-and-back for for the 5K and 15K.  Started on a park road, out the front gate, turn left, and away we went on rural roads

Some of our scenery along the way....yep, we're in the 'country' all right.  Big grin

5K turn-around point and our volunteers there.  15K folks kept going on

Looking down the kinda steep hill we had to climb to get to the turn-around point.  I should not whine about the hill - but I will Joking - cuz we 5K folks actually had it pretty easy.  One of the 15K folks post-race told me the 15K course had a lot of hills, including one that was about TWICE as long up as the 5K turn-around hill was, zowie!

Looking back where I'd just been

More folks coming toward and going from the 5K turn-around point

One more freakin' hill to climb before we get to the finish.  That RD is a sadist! Wink   We passed the 15K mile 8 marker here and I jokingly told a friend near me, also doing the 5K, 'Mile 8..I think we went too far. "

AFTER THE RACE

Right after the finish line we were handed ice cold bottle of water and an ice-watered down towel, both of which I much appreciated!  Thank you, iRun for having those there for us right as we finished!

Lots of post-race goodies to be had!  No beer though, darn the luck. Probably some ordinance about beer in a city park.  But there was plenty of other stuff.

Breakfast tacos..bacon/egg, potato/egg, and other types

Our breakfast taco volunteer

Bagels, fruit, oatmeal raisin cookie chunks

3 types of smoothies, courtesy of the Jamba Juice ladies

Pavilion where the food, etc., was.  Nice to have shade and a place to sit post-race

Post-race massages...there were 4 tables available, courtesy of Hill Country Spine and Sport Massage.

Race Director and owner of iRun, and all-around nice guy, Mitch.

"Happy Finishers" (cuz more people seem to be smiling post-race than before or during Wink), supporters, volunteers, etc.

This lady ran the whole way with her foot wrapped like that..and still beat me!  Wink

My 'running crush" Bernadette

This is the guy who won the 5K....in 18:10!

Our DJs

Fellow cancer survivor.  His was much worse than mine, he had lymphoma, and was told he probably would not survive. That was 11 years ago and here he is after finishing the 15K!

EPILOG

A very nice event, well-organized by Mitch, his  iRun staff, and all his volunteers, kudos to all of them for putting this quality event together each year.  Mucho thanks also to all the sponsors and vendors who were out there for us on a hot Texas morning.    Lots of friendly participants and volunteers.  Challenging course, but everyone I was around seemed to keep their sense of humor about it all, and lots of encouragement back-and-forth between participants.   Lots of good post-race goodies (but get beer too, Mitch! Wink ) and there were also raffle gifts, none of which I won, darn the luck.  Oh, and the race goodie bag....sweeeet!  The goodie bag was actually a small insulated lunch-type bag that can store cold stuff, and was packed with various coupons, tech-tank top, tech-gear cap, a small towel, and more. Very nice!  All-in-all, a very nice experience, and a race I would definitely recommend to my fellow runners.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

All of these races, and you still can't get your bib on straight Scottie!  Just kidding.  That's a hell of a lot of pictures.  Congrats on another race.  15K next year?  We'll get you extended life batteries, and I fully expect 300 pictures.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Great report, Scotty. A friend of mine did the 15K, I will link this to him just in case he saw you!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Only 42 events so far? You better step it up if you want to make it to 100 Wink

Everyone looks like they had a great time, despite being so gross and sweaty. Congrats Scotty!

Just B.S.

Scotty you are nothing short of amazing!

Love the photos as always! Nice way to mix it up with that 15k race!

B-Plus

Scotty you are nothing short of amazing!

Love the photos as always! Nice way to mix it up with that 15k race!

If he did the 15, then I'm pretty sure he totally killed the world record Joking

Just B.S.

If he did the 15, then I'm pretty sure he totally killed the world record Joking

Oops, didn't see his finish time. My brain is fried from running, swimming and cycling in

90+ temps for the last 3 days and living with no air conditioning.

Going to be 106 tomorrow and I am so happy to be able to go to work!!

B-Plus

Oops, didn't see his finish time. My brain is fried from running, swimming and cycling in

90+ temps for the last 3 days and living with no air conditioning.

Going to be 106 tomorrow and I am so happy to be able to go to work!!

That would probably make me delirious. Here I am sitting in my underwear in our scorching 22C weather.

GinnyinPA

Looks like a fun event, despite the hills.  Nice RR.

SheCan

Congrats on 42 of 2013!  Looks like a race with some really nice scenery too.  I hope to sign up for a race that gives out such nice goodies as this one.  Very few races around here give out tank tops-- why????  I dunno -- that insulated lunch bag sounds great!   Thanks for the RR and awesome pictures.  You're the best Scotty dawg!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

happylily

Excellent pictures, Scotty! Congratulations on your 42nd race!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Always love your RR's and pics, Scotty. There are some good looking runners in your area! Big grin

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I think you missed somebody, Scotty !!!

btw, Where's the beer?