Beginners and Beyond

Dismal Swamp Stomp Half Marathon RR, 3rd place AG (Read 117 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Traci!  Yeah, I see quite a few herons around here, beautiful birds.  Love my Fastwitchs, altho they have a lil more support than I like, I'm actually thinking about swapping them for some Type A5s.  Or I might just keep them and also get the Type A5s, but I already have 8 pairs of running shoes in the closet!  Gonna have more shoes than my wife pretty soon! LOL

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

SheCan

My gosh you are fast!  Congratulations to you and your son!   Racing blood in your whole family I guess.   Awesome time (sooooo do not be disappointed with that, Please!)  and woooohooo@ 3rd AG.  That swag is wonderful.  Gotta love the jacket, and your trophy is absolutely beautiful-- a lovely work of art.  I wish I'd win something like that!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Cherie! Smile  I'm not disappointed, just think I could have done better with a proper taper.  But for the condition that I entered the race in, I think I ran the best race I could, or close to it (might have been able to do a little better if I had paced more conservatively at the beginning, but I wanted to try to push it).  Overall I am extremely happy, I just like to analyze my performance and see where I can improve next time, trying to make sure I learn something every time I race.  Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Rondog65

Once again I am amazed at the talent of the runners on this forum.  2 sub 1:30 half in a month is outstanding.  Keep up the good work and thank you for the RR we got to keep running one mile at a time, one race at a time, we will never give up.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Ron!  I agree, gotta keep running and stay strong.

-Dave

My running blog

happylily

Awesome speed and finish time! Congratulations on both and also on the AG award and super ranking! And thank you for sharing your pics. They are great!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Trail Monster

Congrats! Nice bling!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Great job, D^2, congrats on the AG 3rd.  Nice kick!

That trophy is sweet.

B-Plus

Way to turn that around and have a fun time with that. I hope I can hold 6:35 pace for my upcoming half.

That's a unique looking trophy there.

Nice job and great work on the back to back sub 1:30's!

LRB

From tailwind to headwind is no flippin' joke!  The funny thing though, is you do not really feel the aid of the tailwind, but you sure as hell feel the wrath of the headwind!

Not sure a taper would have mattered much in that instance but yes, it would be nice to eliminate the lack of a taper as the culprit.

Nice job all the same.  You are fast!

Dad on the run.

Awesome job Dave! What kind of speed work do you do? Just since I have started running you have become significantly faster!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Glad to know I'm not the only guy here with a running shoe fetish. I have 7 pair of running shoes in my closet, only 1 pair has enough miles to be considered "retired"

Thanks Traci!  Yeah, I see quite a few herons around here, beautiful birds.  Love my Fastwitchs, altho they have a lil more support than I like, I'm actually thinking about swapping them for some Type A5s.  Or I might just keep them and also get the Type A5s, but I already have 8 pairs of running shoes in the closet!  Gonna have more shoes than my wife pretty soon! LOL

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks lily! I still can't believe I placed at a half, really didn't think that was going to happen.

Thanks Banshee! I'm loving the bling. Smile

Thanks Shirfan! I smile every time I walk through the living room and see it.

Thanks B-Plus! I figured I might as well enjoy myself, since I knew I wasn't going to PR, being able to still crack sub-1:30 and then placing were awesome. Good luck at your half!

Thanks Fuzzy!

Thanks LRB! Yeah, it was weird to not feel the tailwind, but definitely felt the headwind. I can't help but think that difficult 16 miler had something to do with it, especially since I don't normally run hills. We'll see what happens come Sept, hopefully it's not too hot.

Thanks Jimmy!  I still haven't started doing any speed work. I've been saying for months now that I'm going to start doing tempo runs at least, and still haven't. Some of my runs are faster, but that's just when I'm feeling "on" that day, but they're still not what I should be running for tempo pace (given my race times). So I guess this is just still my newb gains from lots of easy miles. I really am (for real lol) going to start tho, because I want to make sure I'm comfortable with tempo runs before I roll into a Pfitz plan in November to train for my first marathon next spring. Oh, I went ahead and ordered the Type A5s, they'll be here Monday. I'll do a couple of runs in them next week to make sure there's no issues with them for my 5k next Sat. Smile

-Dave

My running blog