Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Wurst 5-Mile WurstFest Run (Read 26 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 61st running event of 2013, and my 2nd race of the week after doing the Hocus Pocus 5K on Halloween night (report and photos for that one here: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/f571fcbdfac44836aae9cfbbdc200e8b .)  The Wurst 5-Miler was held in New Braunfels, Texas, and is part of the WurstFest festival, the Oktoberfest celebration each year of the city.  Goodie bags included a nice long-sleeved t-shirt and a ticket for entrance into the WurstFest.  817 participants for this one, and a nice morning too, about 51 degrees when I first got up, and around 57 - 59 degrees at the 8 a.m. start time. For once for a 5-miler, I managed to finish under an hour - even with all my photo stops  - with a chip time of 55:02.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Before The Start

The event started and finished at Landa Park, a very pretty park with a man-made lake and a gol course alongside of it.  It was still a little dark when I got there and I got a photo of the lake just before the sun came up...very peaceful and serene...

The next thing I did was get photos of all the post-race goodies that would be waiting for us because I knew by the time my slow self finished, the goodies would have already started being gone through like crazy.

Our Grillmaster cooking up all the sausages to be ready for us after we finished

The taco wraps for the sausages being heated up to be nice and soft for us

Then it was off to get some photos of volunteers, supporters and participants pre-start

Our MC, David (with hat), and one of the folks in the "Oompah" music combo that was there

Yours Truly, with new-made friends

These two ladies are wearing the long-sleeved race shirt we all got in our goodie bags.  Whomever did the shirts also put on the front of it a symbol that the race was "Not Furloughed" , lol.

A running friend of mine, Bill, who recently did the San Francisco to Alcatraz swim..or was it the other way around?  Either way...zowie.

Bill and his fiancee Chris (on his left) and friend

My pal, Luke (far right) and his son and grandson with him

Something for all the Chicago Bear fans reading this report... Joking

During the run, I ended up being in the proximity of the two costumed ladies for most of the way

Getting ready to go.  There were nearly 900 participants, and I was way in the back of most of them.  A tuba player played the National Anthem and then we were off.

On The Course

Nice downhill on the way out, but this became a short-and-steep uphill on the way back, and after the 4 mile mark too, and right before we headed to the finish.

The guy in the gray jacket ran the whole way with a 'chicken hat".

I'm not even to Mile 2 yet and the front of the pack runners are already heading back to the finish.  The guy who won finished in 25:40.  The first lady finished in 30:16.

Our only other hill on the course, a downhill and then a short uphill.

I ran some with this lady in the pink calf sleeves.  She told me just last week she had done an Ironman.  Dang, I'd still be in bed if I'd done an Ironman only a week ago, lol.

Heading back to the finish, this is just before Mile 4

After that last photo, I ran nonstop for the last 1.3 miles.  For the race I averaged 11-something minute miles, but Mile 4 to Mile 5 was my fastest mile, I completed that in 10:42.  I didn't think my old legs had a sub-11 in them, lol.

After The Finish

My speedy friend, Rich, who met me at the finish line after I was done. Given the pace that he does and the pace that I do, he probably waited a while for me to get there, lol.

Besides the goodies I showed at the beginning of the report,  New Braunfels Brewery, a local microbrewery, was also there with their brewed light and dark draft beers.  I chose the light and that stuff was gooood!  Yeah, beer!

Our 'beer pourers', very important volunteers!

Lots of kiolbassa sausage wraps being handed out by these two lovely volunteers.

Post-race massage and stretching available

My friend, Sherry, and this guy were two of the Age Group winners.   The "medals" for this race are hand-crafted mugs. The cup design for the race  is different each year.

More "Happy Finishers" et al...

"The Unknown Beer Drinker" and friend

A better photo of David, than the one I took when it was dark.  David, our MC, also played the drums in the combo.

I put a 'halo' on this guy cuz I could tell he is an Angel.  Ok, actually my big fat gloved finger got in the way.  "Sorry about that, Chief!"  And if you remember what TV show that expression was on, you're an old person like me! Joking

Scott Wood, 2nd from the right, owner of AthleteGuild, which did its usual great job of course set-up, timing, results, etc.  Here with my pal Luke and his family.

As we left the park to make our way home, we were greeted by some of the park deer.   They are quite friendly and if you have treats for them will come up to greet you.

EPILOG

The Wurst 5-miler is always a fun event, nice crowd of participants, nice course, nice post-race goodies, great beer and sausages.  I have done this one several times in the past and it will continue to be on my race schedule in the future.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Great job, Scotty!  Looks like some fantastic after race snacks--- MmmmmmMMmm, kiolbassa sausage wraps!  Congratulations to your friends who won those cool handmade mugs!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Gotta love the beer and Oompah music. "Alles ist gut!"

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I have to admit, that finish time caught me off guard.  You've been holding back on us.  Throw some beer and sausage down at the finish line, and Scotty Dawg becomes a greyhound....lol  Nice one!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Scotty - is that a 5 mile PR time? Those donuts look yummy!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Packer fans in a Red state ????

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Fun!!!! I love all things Oktoberfest so this race is right up my alley! Love the custom beer mugs, some of the outfits (I like the group in the green Lederhosen shirts and Beer socks, and the ladies in drindls) and that you got draft beer and sausages after.....yum!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Just B.S.

Congrats Scotty!! That looks like a heck of a lot of fun!

As always Scotty runs the most races and has the most fun of anyone on the B&B!!