Beginners and Beyond

Runner Helps Another Runner (Read 110 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Great story and great sportsmanship. Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LTH, that is not as hard-assed as it might seem.

First instinct is of course to help, but at what point might be aid be construed as grounds to DQ the fainting guy?  Based on some responses here about the RnR series and how they don't even care about DQing people for riding a bus, probably OK in this situation.

What if it had been a BQ time?  I know I would not be able to submit it if I had been helped across the line.

happylily

LTH, that is not as hard-assed as it might seem.

First instinct is of course to help, but at what point might be aid be construed as grounds to DQ the fainting guy?  Based on some responses here about the RnR series and how they don't even care about DQing people for riding a bus, probably OK in this situation.

What if it had been a BQ time?  I know I would not be able to submit it if I had been helped across the line.

I don't think this is true. For some (myself and maybe LTH...), first instinct is to continue running, someone else will take care of him. For others, first instinct will be to stop and help in whatever capacity they can. That's the difference between ordinary people and heroes.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Yeah that is pretty hard-ass. Wink I am guessing these were not elite runners and were not competing for any podium. This is just pure sportsmanship from recreational athletes.

Yeah, I don't think anyone will put up a stink about the guy who finished 1,648th.

<3