Beginners and Beyond

Howl at the Moon 10k RR (Read 57 times)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

I could already tell that my garmin wasn't on track with their calculations, by the time we hit the 5k finish, my garmin said 2.8 rather than 3.1 but I tried not to fuss about it - their chronotrack said I crossed the 5k split at 26:47.

Free, I have seen you fret over this in the past, and many others herein.  Dont worry about the Garmin distance, you well know its inaccuracies.

You ran well concerned with pace and placement.  You know its 6.2 miles so stay focused on the pace you are capable of, and if you are racing for place, then your competition.  Pay no attention to distance as you are just expending needless mental energy.  Of course not knowing the distance to finish can be daunting, but heck, racing hurts.  I also realize its a trail race so pacing is harder, but I suggest you stay focused on that rather than the competition and it will all sort out in the end.  Good job.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Lesson learned. When approaching a known bottleneck on the course, get in front of other runners and put the onus on them to pass if they can. I always assume if I'm coming up on a runner after the first couple miles, they're going to be slowing down, not picking up the pace.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your race and glad you didn't do any face-plants or fall off the levee!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks you guys. Smile I am going to remember that new lesson.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)