Beginners and Beyond

Raining Sunday Penguins.. (Read 40 times)

hog4life

Zelanie, IMO, it sounds like the shoes. I would not do speed work, and would scale things back until you get new ones. The stretching and rolling will help too. Sorry I can't offer more advice.

Zelanie, IMO, it sounds like the shoes. I would not do speed work, and would scale things back until you get new ones. The stretching and rolling will help too. Sorry I can't offer more advice.

I agree with the shoes. Hopefully that's all that it is and hope you find a good deal.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

DW and I did a 4 mile recovery run this morning, nice and easy. I did 40 miles this week and I am feeling good!  Ah, yes.... now I am off to do my errands and then I have a date with my couch for the rest of the day; football, newspaper, naps, repeat...

Bin: Great 13 miler!

Awood: It's "up to 19?" Man, I wouldn't want to be there when it's cold!

Scotty: Great RR, as usual.

Docket_Rocket

I change my shoes at 350.  It's not the miles but rather how much time you spent on the shoes.  The slower the runner, the lower the miles before the shoe starts breaking down, IMO.  So, find new shoes, Z.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Happy Sunday everyone!

Awood - I'm jealous!  Only 15 F here; after wind chill 1 F. No thanks... not interested in running in this.

I feel **great** today.  I dealt with lingering nausea after my run yesterday and after chatting with a couple fellow runners (THANKS Damaris)  I suspect I just didn't hydrate right and get enough electrolyte replacement.  As part of the learning process it is an important lesson.  Other than that all systems are a go.  No significant stiffness nor soreness.

Ok... off to make a cup of HOT tea and stare outside at the snow and be thankful I ran yesterday in shorts!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hah...I did my 5 miles on the dreadmill.  I won't always get away with that, and will have to do some very cold running this week.  Is it weird that my stomach is what usually feels frostbit at the end?

Zel - If running isn't making it worse, and you continue to improve that's a good thing.  I'd just keep a good check on it.  Be honest with yourself, and take a rest day as needed.  If it starts to flare up during a run, don't be afraid to ease up or cut it short.

As for speedwork, I wouldn't do intervals or anything like that.  If you want to ease into some faster paces throughout the run like a tempo or a fartlek, I'd accelerate slowly and focus on how the hammie is responding.

Finally, when it comes to new shoes....you know you want some new shoes anyway.  Now that you know that they MAY be part of the problem, you can justify your purchase.  Go get you some new shoes.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jen2011

Good afternoon everyone!  Had to work late Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday since I had extra meetings, so I missed two of my short runs.  I'm back at it though today, with 10 miles this morning.

I have a date with DH later this afternoon - dinner and a movie!

Have a great day!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

hog4life

6.56 miles done, started slow, ended slower, I tried to run my hill route, but I just couldn't do it without walking some. I'm not totally sure, but I think there might be a little scar tissue on my lung that prevented me from breathing deep without some minor pain and/or discomfort. Ya know, I'm getting smarter in my old age(52 next week), if something starts aching, I will walk or cut things short. No need in trying to be a hero!

Mitch

Zelanie

Thanks for all the feedback!  I should factor in the time on my feet plus since they're the only ones they don't get as many days off to recover.

I went in intending to buy the Brooks Ghosts but instead really liked the feel of the Saucony Triuimph 10s.  They are pretty much the exact opposite of the Mizunos, but I think it will be good to have variety.  For my next pair I will rotate in another Wave Rider I think.  I was thinking of hitting a trail tomorrow since I have off and will be able to run in daylight.  But I'm not sure I want my new shoes to get all icky so soon.  Then again the route I am considering is really more "gravel road" than it is "trail".

Mitch- I bet it is just a little spot healing up.  Hope you are feeling back to 100% soon!

Jen- Nice run!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

52...Old?  Cry

6.56 miles done, started slow, ended slower, I tried to run my hill route, but I just couldn't do it without walking some. I'm not totally sure, but I think there might be a little scar tissue on my lung that prevented me from breathing deep without some minor pain and/or discomfort. Ya know, I'm getting smarter in my old age(52 next week), if something starts aching, I will walk or cut things short. No need in trying to be a hero!

Mitch

hog4life

52...Old?  Cry

Haha, yea Jerry, I suppose saying old is all relative. Maybe I should have said older.

Just back from 8.1 miles. Life is good. I have been finding my sister info for her 50 miler this summer. She is supposed to be the smart one. I don't know when she went crazy Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

tracilynn

I did 5 today. Shin was aching and then I iced and it feels good again. I stopped and stretched it at every mile too.

Mitch, you'll be 100% in a few days I bet.

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

I did 5 today. Shin was aching and then I iced and it feels good again. I stopped and stretched it at every mile too.

Mitch, you'll be 100% in a few days I bet.

I hope you're right! Did you see that there are only like 100 slots left for Oak Barrel? You should let your friend know before it closes.

tracilynn

They already signed up

~~~~~~~

Traci