Beginners and Beyond

Frederick Running Festival Half Marathon - Updated with finish line pic from the local paper! (Read 110 times)

Pinktastic

Wow!!   That's a HUGE PR!!   What a Pinksational race!!   Thanks for sharing your experience so vivdly - I felt like I was there!!  Congrats!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Ball of Fury

Nice race and congrats on the huge PR!!

Not to thread jack, but GEORGE....get your ass out there and race a half marathon already!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Mostly harmless

Really nice job Scott, well paced.  You and I run about the same pace and I am always leary if I could hold 8:00 for 13.1 miles.  For that reason I have not run a HM.  Your RR gives me hope that it is possible.  Could you have run the same time had you not been using pacers?  In other words did they take the mental pressure off of you and allowed you to fight the fatigue with more vigor?

Gratz on the PR, I say 3:45 for MCM is possible.

Thanks for your kinds words!  As to your question, I had to give it some thought.

I've run a few races with pacers and a few on my own.  When i ran a marathon in March I ran with a pacer. I had run a lot of training miles at marathon pace so when the pacer went out too fast I was confident enough to let him go.  I knew what MP felt like, he was running too fast and didn't want to blow up.  However I did end up falling back in with him later in the race and based my running speed off of him a lot in the later stages of the race when I was tired and couldn't trust myself to run by feel.  I also wore a pace band and caught a mistake that he made at mile 20 that would have cost us to finish about 45 seconds late.  Like Ronald Reagan once said, "trust but verify"!

When I ran this same HM last year I started with the 2:00 pacer but struck out on my own around mile 6 because I felt like I was able to run faster that day.

For this race, I was running at a pace that I'm not used to. I had not run very many training miles at half marathon pace so I was less confident in my judgement.  Once I got a good feel for the pace (maybe by mile 5 or 6?) I probably could have run the rest of the race on my own, but maybe I would have fallen off pace without realizing it. I don't know.

Get out there and run one! What's the worst thing that could happen? So what if you blow up and have a bad day?

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Don't call me Buttercup!

Holy moly!  Congrats!!! Sounds like you had a great race!   I totally forgot about the hot air balloon when I wrote my RR, which is silly, because I took THREE pictures of it with my phone before the start! LOL

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang..you killed your old PR!   Congrats on your half!

Nice photo from the paper!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

great job, Scott!  Congrats on making the paper.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

Love the newspaper finish line photo you added!  I think it would make a great profile pic. Wink

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

B-Plus

Wow, PR in a fun run? Great race!

Mostly harmless

Love the newspaper finish line photo you added!  I think it would make a great profile pic. Wink

Great idea, thanks!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

way to go. 6 min -- WOOHOO

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sweet time man, and great RR.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Don't call me Buttercup!

I read that article today and thought "Isn't that... ?  Nah, probably not."   But there you go. =)

Don't call me Buttercup!

Oh, hey, also, did you see your finish line video?  I watched mine, it was a nice touch that they did that.

Rondog65

Outstanding speedy, what a great accomplishment!!

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

camille2

Congrats on that pr!  Great report...I could feel the race with purple shirt at the end.