Beginners and Beyond

RR - Minnesota Monster Dash 10-Mile (Read 47 times)

On Saturday, October 26th I ran the Minnesota Monster Dash 10-mile race.

Short version:
    Goals: Finish on my feet. Beat 1:55:00.
    Results: Finish time of 1:40:47 (10:05 pace)
    OA: 1309/2955
    AG: 162/427

LONG version:

In July, my aunt asked me if I would be interested in the 10-miler or the half marathon. I knew I would not be able to adequately prepare for a half by then, but I could feasibly train to complete a 10-miler. So I agreed to do it and started training. I went with a slightly modified version of Hal Higdon's 15k Novice plan. Training went ok, but as my long runs got longer and my short runs did not, I started seeing how poorly prepared I was to race 10 miles. And then my aunt got tied up in work and let me know she would not be able to run with me. If I had not invested the money for the race, I would not have continued training at that point. But I did. I'm stubborn.

After a poor night of sleep, I woke up Saturday morning seriously considering a DNS. But my parents and my husband and kids had planned to cheer me on, and I didn't want to let them down. I decided would lace up and make the best of it, and even if I had to walk the last bit, I would at least go out there and try. I donned my Batgirl costume and tried to be brave. Traffic was a mess. My tummy was in knots. I wondered if my cape would slow me down in the Autumn wind.

Batgirl

My husband accompanied me to the starting line while my parents hung out with my kids. DH and I found the costume judging area and I made it through just before the cutoff. Then I had time for a quick stop at the portapotties before lining up with the 10:00 crowd. I never heard the start, we just started moving at some point. I started my Garmin early. I told my husband I love him, and off I went. I walked for 5 minutes or so before I had space to run, and it was a little further yet before we crossed the starting line, where I forgot to hit the lap button. Oops!

I have no idea what my pace was the first mile but it felt easy. The second mile still felt easy, and I was surprised to see I was running faster than 9:30 pace. I was feeling good so I decided to keep it up. The course was mostly a gentle downhill slope, which definitely helped.

2.5 miles in I had to take off my mask because sweat was dripping into my eyes, but  it was easy enough to carry. By the end of the race I was carrying my mask, headband, gloves and GU, but I hardly noticed.

The very best part of the entire race was about 4.5 miles in, coming downhill and around the corner to live music and some great crowd support. The run still felt easy at this point.

Somewhere in the early miles I saw signs that read: "Run quietly, we're hungry!" and "You're knees hurt because your kicking ASS ... Kicking ASSphalt!"

Giving kids high fives as I ran past was also super fun!

I started looking for my family around mile 7, since that was the plan, but I was running faster than anticipated so they missed me. I was still feeling ok at this point, but I was slowing down a bit.

At mile 8 I was ready to be done, but knew I still had 2 miles left. Up to this point I had only walked at water stations while I was drinking. Here I fought with myself to keep running.  I passed a water station in here somewhere and got a GU. It was awful, and it did not agree with me. I only had a taste and ended up carrying it to the finish line because there were no trash cans by the time I opened it. YUCK.

Somewhere after the 9 mile mark I started walking. My hip was hurting, my knee was screaming, I was done. I was limping and trying to hold back tears. I walked for about a quarter mile, but when I realized I was hurting more after I started walking, I decided I should run the rest of the way. At the very least it would get me to the finish line faster! I started running again and was passed by Batman and Robin. I don't know if Batman was talking to me or to Robin, but he was giving some encouraging words that I totally needed to hear. I took them to heart and pressed on. (Thank you, anonymous Batman!) Also around this point I saw a sign that read something like, "Pain is temporary. Internet results are forever!" Smile

The half marathoners split off at this point and the 10-milers were in the final stretch. I could see the end! And then I saw my family! I blew them kisses and kept moving through the finish.

Final stretch - keep moving!

And then it was done. Got my medal and my banana and my bag of treats (that I quickly lost?) and found my family again.

It was a really fun race that pushed me to the edge of my (current) ability. The trees were gorgeous fall colors, the weather was beautiful - sunny and high 30s, and my cape did not seem to slow me down. Endomondo tells me that according to my Garmin, I ran a personal best 10k in 58:52. Darn, that sub-60 10k was my next goal. Oh well. Big grin

Bling

Thanks for reading. Smile

obiebyke

Hooray, that's awesome! That race is my goal for next year unless I get into the TC 10 mile. Glad to hear it was fun. Congrats!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great run, Mickey! Man, you killed your goal of 1:55! That part at mile 4.5 sounds cool. Smile  Way to go and get it

tracilynn

Great job and super job destroying the goal!  Live your outfit. Cool

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Great costume.  Great race.  Great bling.  WOW!!!  How do you beat that?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Totally awesome. Congrats on exceeding your goals. I'm glad your family was there to cheer you in, that's always a plus.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

That sounds like a great race!  Great RR, too!!

Hope the hip & knee are doing better!!!   Hip & knee pain in the house!!!  Joking

Big grin

P.S.  This may sound weird now, but you'll probably PR your next 10K, despite going sub 60 here because (as McMillan's running calculator proves) you can simply & mathematically run faster for a shorter distance. Wink

Randy

GinnyinPA

Congratulations!  Aren't you glad you decided to run anyway?  Good job!

PADRunner

Congrats! Way to hang in there.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Glad you had fun in spite of the last couple of hurting miles. Even hurting, you are still faster than me, lol.  Nice that your family was there for you too.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

As a favorite group member of mine would say, "Bless your heart" for carrying that GU packet.  And I am Batman so you automatically win the costume contest!

How is your knee and hip feeling today?  That is pretty scary but I am glad you were able to pull through.  What's next for the caped crusader?

Hip Redux

I love your costume!!

I hope your hip/knee are feeling better, too.