Beginners and Beyond

Hello all, trying to get back into it. (Read 77 times)

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Hey all, just wanted to post that after almost a year of no running I am trying to get back into it.  I was a member of the penguins back on Runners World forums and tried to migrate here but I was already in the groove of running and didn't need the support.  But a bit about me, I ran fairly well starting July 2011 years ago with the couch to 5K program.  I progressed and ran my first half in Oct 12.  While training for the Oct 13 half, my ITB flared up on both sides.  I ran the half (well death marched the final 7 miles) and have only run twice since, both times with severe ITB pain.  Today I started with couch to 5K again and am going to try and take it slow and build that base back up.  The encouragement I received on the forums worked so well I am going to try it again so please bear with me Smile.

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.

Docket_Rocket

Welcome back!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

'Sup yo!

Work those hips.

delicate flower

Hi, Brady!

<3

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Baboon, I thought I may have seen you running in Simsbury a couple of weeks ago, down by the Weatogue Post Office Smile

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.

delicate flower

Baboon, I thought I may have seen you running in Simsbury a couple of weeks ago, down by the Weatogue Post Office Smile

Probably, seeing how I run by there all the time!     Hope I wasn't doing anything stupid.  

<3

Mmmmm...beer

Hey Brady, good to see you back!  Hope the ITB stays in check this time around.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

Hi Brady, hope you're doing well!  How is the chain mail business coming along?  And I hope you have a foam roller!  That seemed to be the key for me when I had that issue.

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Zel, The desire to chainmail has come back as well as the desire to run.  I do have a foam roller, just have to use the blasted thing (man it hurts)

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Zel, The desire to chainmail has come back as well as the desire to run.  I do have a foam roller, just have to use the blasted thing (man it hurts)

Hi Brady, just wanted to say my situation mirrors yours so much it's spooky, so I feel your pain, literally. Couch to 5K, going great for over a year until HM training this past Jan/Feb. ITBS flared up, death marched the last half of the race, etc. Limped thru the last 4 miles so badly I messed up the peroneal tendon in my left foot, which is still not right to this day :/

Like you I'm starting over with C25K, I'm in week 3. Race was in February and yesterday was the first time I've been able to run since then without feeling my IT band at all. After months of no running and trying to roll/strengthen it without much success I finally broke down and got some physical therapy on it. Combination of massage, ultrasound, laser therapy, and foam rolling multiple times per day FINALLY seem to have loosened them up. We'll see how it goes as my mileage goes back up.

My PT showed me that I wasn't foam rolling the right spots. If you're like me, when you roll your thighs you'll feel knots where things are tight. concentrate on the knots and try to get them loose. That was the key for me. Took about a week of rolling like that 2-3 times a day. Didn't seem to be helping but then one day I couldn't find the knots in my legs, and my knee didn't feel like a tight rubber band any more.

So there's hope! Let us know how it goes

hog4life

Hi ya Brady, good to see you back.

SheCan

Brady-- Ouch at the ITB pain.  Glad you're doing better and have decided to run again.  I didn't post on the penguin threat on RW, but I have over here, so it's very nice to meet you.  I do wish you the best of luck and keep coming back whether you're running or not, so you can keep yourself going.  We'll be rooting for you!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Hi ya Brady, good to see you back.

MITCH!  How are you doing?  Glad to see you are still around, health good?

Love the Half

Hi Brady and welcome back.  I have fought a hamstring problem with varying degrees of success for over 3 years.  Sometimes, there are things that simply don't get "better."  You just manage the pain and live with them.  Hope that's not the case with you but if it is, that doesn't mean you have to give up.  I ran my first sub 3:00 marathon last November and the hamstring started hurting at Mile 3 and just kept hurting for the next 23.2 miles but I was able to deal with it.  Hang in there.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Thanks LTH, I know I wont be as fast as you (dont have the time or the drive) but 2 days of no ITB pain.  Just going to take it slow.