Beginners and Beyond

Beat the Blerch HM RR (Read 47 times)

Short Version

2:32:36

OA: 496/816

F: 307/558

AG: 93/161

Long Version

Last Sunday (9/21), I ran the Beat the Blerch HM in Carnation, WA. This was my first “destination” race and my second time on the west coast. I should preface the rest of this report by saying that I haven’t been able to run much in the past six months (since just after registering for this race) due to a bad run-in with ITBS. My goal going into this race was to just finish uninjured and to have fun. It would have also been nice to finish in under 2:45 – the time it took me to finish the Frederick Half, which destroyed my IT band.

My flight left DC around 8 on Saturday morning and, thanks to changing time zones, I arrived in Seattle around 10:30.  I spent the rest of the day sightseeing and picking up my race packet. I’ll leave out the part about how my phone (aka GPS) died and I got lost trying to navigate my way to and from packet pickup and my hotel.

Here's me on top of the Space Needle.

It was a really clear day, so I got a nice photo of Mount Rainier.

The half started at 9:30 Sunday morning. Part of me wished it had an earlier start, but it was nice to sleep in before a race. First things first, I visited the port-a-potties and waited in line for a picture with The Blerch (Matthew Inman). He had apparently requested music from the Lion King and the Little Mermaid – and some “adult” music that I didn't recognize – to be played throughout the day…on repeat. Tongue

Here's me with the Blerch!

I watched the marathoners line up and take off and then realized, just minutes from the start of the half, that I needed another trip to the port-a-potty. I made it back to the start just in time. The Blerch gave an opening speech of sorts and then we were released in waves.

I started off too fast, but I knew this would likely be the longest consecutive run for the day, so I just enjoyed it. Around the 3-mile mark, I decided to take my first walk break (5 minutes) and it just zapped all the energy out of me. My next running stretch took me 2 miles, then another 5 min walk break. From then on, my goal was to run a quarter mile, walk a quarter mile – or longer if needed. My groin muscles started hurting early on and I was afraid that I might pull them if I pushed too hard. Then my calves started locking up. This was a new one for me and I had to stop and stretch a couple of times.

Here are two pictures from along the race. I believe at miles 1 and 3.

But now for some of the more fun parts of the race. Around mile 2, a “rogue” water station was handing out beer. At each official station, “purple drink,” birthday cake, gu, water, and couches were available. And, at the turn-around, Nutella sandwiches were offered, as well. Along the course, there were blerches encouraging us to stop, take a break, and so on. It was a nice distraction. I even saw The Blerch a few times along the course - he would pass me, socialize at a stop, then pass me again. He ended up beating me by about 12 minutes (in a fat suit after having run a 1:47 half the previous day!).

Around the mile 12 mark, I decided that I would walk most of the last mile and then start running once I could see crowds, which turned out to be around the 13-mile mark. I knew this was the end, so I tried to run “fast.” My left calf then locked up, taking my foot with it. Eesh! There was a small group of us running together and, a few hundred feet from the finish, the woman to my left started sprinting. I thought to myself, “Eh, why not?” and took off, as well – passing her a couple of people in front of us. Once I crossed the line, I was done. Just done. Someone handed me my medal, I got some potato chips, and plopped down in the line to get Inman to sign my book. I was too tired to eat like a normal person, so I grazed my chips like a cow. After waiting in line for about an hour, it hadn’t moved but I had to leave. Luckily, some very nice people ahead of me agreed to get my book signed and mail it to me.

Here's me crossing the finish. I'm not sure what my arms are doing. 

About a week later and I can say that this is one of the best recoveries I’ve had from a half (#4 for me, #3 this year). I don’t feel like I’ve injured anything and and was only sore for a couple of days. I have decided to defer the Baltimore Half again. I originally signed up to run in 2013 as my first half, but I had to defer last year due to surgery and now this year due to common sense.  The silver lining, though, is that I won a free entry to the Baltimore Half and DH agreed to run it with me, so we have both deferred to next year! He also wants to run a 5k with me later this year and possibly a spring half, as well. 

Thanks for reading!

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Docket_Rocket

Love the RR.  Thanks for sharing!

I like how you complained about soreness, pain, etc. during the race...except for the ITB.  Nice!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Sounds like you had a good plan going in and stuck to it and made it out no worse for the wear.  It sucks you couldn't race it but with running that's how it goes sometimes.

You were in a foot cast for a spell right?  Did that injury behave itself at least?

Hopefully you get your book!  Big grin

Docket - Thanks! I hadn't realized that pretty much everything but my ITB was in pain at some point during the race. Tongue

LRB - Thanks! I had surgery at the end of August of last year and was in a cast/boot until mid-October and "running" by November. That injury has been behaving itself, but the muscle atrophy in my right leg from it being immobile for so long has led to some muscle imbalance issues - most notably the ITBS this past spring/summer. And I got the signed book the following Wednesday! Big grinBig grin

Upcoming Races:

LRB

That's a plausible reason for the the IT band which luckily can be overcome.  Great news on the book too!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on your first Destination race.  This seems like a good one.  We just might have to add it to our list of future destination races.  Thanks for the report.

GinnyinPA

That sounds like a good race to just relax and have fun.  I'm sorry about the leg cramps, but at least your ITB behaved and you have no after effects.  Good race report.

Zelanie

So cool!  What a great race to get back to the HM distance!  I hope you enjoyed the trip and seeing Seattle a bit. Smile  We were probably in the same line to see the Oatmeal before the HM, that's when I got my photo taken with him too.

It sounds so encouraging that you ran that much faster than the HM that  took our your IT band, and have recovered well, that's great news!  I wonder if shorter walk breaks (and more often, if needed) might stop the energy drain feeling?  At least, I noticed from running this summer that if I stopped too long for water or whatever, I got all stiff and creaky.

Your race photos came out so nice!  You look relaxed and focused!  I didn't see the "extra" aid station in my race- maybe they closed up shop before the 10Kers went by?

Glad you got your book already!  I guess I'm glad we didn't wait too much in the line since it wasn't moving, although I did hear he is going on a book signing tour, so we might still have a chance. Smile

Good luck to you and DH in your 5K and in Baltimore next year!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I'm glad you made it through unscathed. That is a long layoff and it sounds like you did fine. Destination races are fun! By the way, my BIL and psycho wife and three brat kids live near the university. If you heard some ear piercing screaming and tantrums it was likely them.

Jerry - Thanks! And it's a great race. It sold out in less than 30 minutes this year, but I believe they are holding more races next year. If I remember correctly, the tentative locations are Seattle (Fall, 2015), Philadelphia (Spring, 2015), San Diego (?), Chicago (?), Denver (TBD). Hopefully more people will be able to participate that way.

Ginny - Thanks! It was a nice race to not stress over. And I'm super happy about my "race recovery" so far. If I remember correctly, I've gotten injured during or shortly after my previous halves. The first time wasn't really my fault. The next two times really were. Tongue

Zelanie - Thanks! I managed to be one of the people who started the picture line. It was a "right place at the right time" sort of thing. I do think that I took too long of a walking break initially because the shorter breaks later on didn't drain me as much - although I didn't have much left to drain at that point. Big grin This was my first race where I planned ahead of time to do some walking.

The person who got my book signed for me also ran the 10k and said she didn't come across the beer station. They didn't seem to have a lot of beer on them, so maybe they ran out? Good luck with your upcoming races, as well.

Jack - Thanks! It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed exploring the city. LOL about the screaming children. 

Upcoming Races:

Sounds like fun, Nova.

So, was the "rogue" beer station handing out Rogue ale?  That and cake would definitely be one of the best HMs ever.

Jay - I'm not sure what beer they were handing out since I didn't partake. I heard someone name the brand - I forget what it is now, but sadly I don't think it was Rogue. It was "quite refreshing," though. Smile

Upcoming Races:

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Chicago would be convenient !!!

B-Plus

Great stuff! Looks and sounds like it was a fun race. I'll have to keep that on my radar for next year.

Cyberic

Did everyone but me race the Blerch? I liked you RR. Thanks for sharing.