Beginners and Beyond

Tell it to the Tuesdailies (Read 40 times)

Zelanie

B-Plus, congratulations! 

Zelanie, you had quite the hectic day! I laughed at all your adventures.  I hope that you did not feel stressed or anxious at any point, though. This type of misadventure reminds me of many incidents in Mexico. At first, I would get frustrated, because I felt I had no control and everything was different from home. But after a while, misadventures became the norm and I fell in love with the Latin attitude and suddenly, it was my home that felt strange upon my return. I think it's admirable that you are determined to continue your training there. I'm not sure I would have the drive for it. You are awesome. 

Lily- Thanks!  I am here for the adventure and really it's not stressful in the sense that I know where to find my house and as long as I go out with cab fare, I'm pretty sure that I will make it back home as long as I don't walk in front of a bus or something.  And I do need to be careful about that, but so far so good.  I know the feeling of no control.  Right now, I feel like I have the self-sufficiency of maybe a 12 year old.  But yesterday I was like a 10 year old very proud that I made it to the local market and back!

Maybe by the end of the week I will be more of an adult again.  I need to be able to travel around the country to be successful here, but I think I am getting close.

happylily

Lily- Thanks!  I am here for the adventure and really it's not stressful in the sense that I know where to find my house and as long as I go out with cab fare, I'm pretty sure that I will make it back home as long as I don't walk in front of a bus or something.  And I do need to be careful about that, but so far so good.  I know the feeling of no control.  Right now, I feel like I have the self-sufficiency of maybe a 12 year old.  But yesterday I was like a 10 year old very proud that I made it to the local market and back!

Maybe by the end of the week I will be more of an adult again.  I need to be able to travel around the country to be successful here, but I think I am getting close.

12 year olds can be very resourceful. You're doing great.  Is your daughter with you and the same host family? How is your Spanish coming along? Do people practice a bit of English with you?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Marjorie, have a safe trip. Thank you for starting today's thread.

SUSchnauzer, have a fantastic five-miler.

Phil, nice three this morning. Enjoy running with MBC tonight.

Cyberic99, have fun doing speedwork.

Lily, enjoy doubling.

Lauren710, fantastic 5.05.

Shari, excellent eight with core as strength work.

B-Plus, congratulations!

meaghansketch, wonderful start to 10K training.

Dave, enjoy the eight to ten and the yardwork.

scottydawg, bravo getting your run on this morning. I like your local weatherman.

Jack K., awesome seven with intervals.

Andrew, yum. And sweet 6.5 this morning.

Damaris, yay! I hope that your run leaves you feeling even better.

Slymoon Runs, you did it. You are tougher than I.

Zelanie, reading about your adventures made me smile. I hope that you enjoy Costa Rica.

I did 6.20 miles on the TM in 1:01:36. 9:57 pace. Yes. The TM. I ran while watching proper football. My kind of multitaskingSmile

Zelanie

My daughter is with a different host family, maybe 40 minutes away?  Haven't heard much from her actually, but that is a good sign I think.

My Spanish is improving from being here.  I need to drop all the Mexican terms that I use without even thinking about it, because that's what I use with my students at home.  But it doesn't serve me well here, where Mexico is like the big sister who gets too much attention.  So far, I have just stayed in Spanish, except for when I'm talking to the students, because I feel like they need a contact that they can communicate more easily with.

Docket_Rocket

B+, congrats on the milestone!  Every time I tried posting here to say that, I would get (1) a call, (2) court, (3) a call from court, (4) a puppy, etc.

My car is back home.  Very happy.

8 miles.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I am finally home! 

I have been doing some freelance work in another city this summer and it has really taken a bite out of my ass the last week or so!

No different than before, there is no way I can catch up with eveything from today but everyone here knows where you stand with me, or you should know by now...

Anyway, it's time to get my drank on!

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Marjorie, have a safe trip. Thank you for starting today's thread.

SUSchnauzer, have a fantastic five-miler.

Phil, nice three this morning. Enjoy running with MBC tonight.

Cyberic99, have fun doing speedwork.

Lily, enjoy doubling.

Lauren710, fantastic 5.05.

Shari, excellent eight with core as strength work.

B-Plus, congratulations!

meaghansketch, wonderful start to 10K training.

Dave, enjoy the eight to ten and the yardwork.

scottydawg, bravo getting your run on this morning. I like your local weatherman.

Jack K., awesome seven with intervals.

Andrew, yum. And sweet 6.5 this morning.

Damaris, yay! I hope that your run leaves you feeling even better.

Slymoon Runs, you did it. You are tougher than I.

Zelanie, reading about your adventures made me smile. I hope that you enjoy Costa Rica.

I did 6.20 miles on the TM in 1:01:36. 9:57 pace. Yes. The TM. I ran while watching proper football. My kind of multitaskingSmile

I don't know about that!  The most I think I have done on the TM is 5 and I thought my brain was going to run out my nose from the boredom!  Great job -  hope the game was a good one!

Mmmmm...beer

Only got 4, got home late and had to get dinner on the grill. Smile  No yard work today, maybe tomorrow if the rain holds off.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

StepbyStep-SH

Zelanie - I love your adventures and your attitude! I am such a timid person when it comes to new situations (almost worse after being married for 13 years and relying on DH for a lot) that I'm not sure I would have the courage to try a mission trip or travel like that.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

B-Plus

Thanks everyone for the congrats, especially Damaris who tried so many times.

6 x 800m @ 2:55, 2:57, 2:56, 2:56, 2:55, 2:58

10,003.6 miles total. Damn, I gotta wake up at 4 if I wanna run tomorrow.