Beginners and Beyond

To push it or not to push it (this saturday's HM) (Read 79 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

And again I have no TRUE gmp set, it is my first marathon and I really won't know what I am capable of until race day. I just know I want to finish under 4:30:00, that is my modest first time marathon virgin goal...... so sue me 

But any advice would be greatly appreciated.

So you're running your long runs at MP - 30 seconds.    Your goal is either extremely modest or you're running your long runs WAY too damn fast.

Running is dumb.

onemile

So you're running your long runs at MP - 30 seconds.    Your goal is either extremely modest or you're running your long runs WAY too damn fast.

I am guessing the former. If you are doing your long runs at 9:45, your marathon goal should be closer to 4 hours or faster.  When I ran a 4:28 my long run pace was more like 10:45.

happylily

I am guessing the former. If you are doing your long runs at 9:45, your marathon goal should be closer to 4 hours or faster.  When I ran a 4:28 my long run pace was more like 10:45.

I think FS thinks she'd be arrogant if she hinted that she wants a 4:00 finish time. Why would that be arrogant?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

I think FS thinks she'd be arrogant if she hinted that she wants a 4:00 finish time. Why would that be arrogant?

Not arrogant. It's okay to be confident and believe in yourself. I think you will be a better runner for it.

happylily

Not arrogant. It's okay to be confident and believe in yourself. I think you will be a better runner for it.

+1

MothAudio

Isn't fairly common that people, especially 1st timers, to be extremely soft with their projections. It takes a fair amount of experience + guts to announce a marathon performance based on their fitness / ability. Granted it sometimes works the other direction too where some are overly optimistic but I think that's not the norm.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Fine damn it!!! When I registered for the race I put down 4:15:00 as estimated finish time and that was January 1, 2014 (duh). But when training started, I secretly have been hoping for a sub 4 hour or close to 4 hour finish, are you freaking happy now? 

My LRs average around a 10 min/mile or faster pace and they still feel easy if not over easy for me, except when the heat is killing me or my stomach is having issues.... then even a 10 min/mile pace for say 18 miles can feel like a total bitch. My steps to take to ensure no stomach issues come race day:

1. I am cutting way down on fibery foods starting a week before the race, along with meat and dairy products as they can give me issues when running. 
                2. Another issue I have is not eating enough, I have found myself to be hungrier these last couple of weeks and starving in the middle of my mid week LR so I've got to make damn sure I eat something before the race. Most likely I'll get up at 4 AM (the race starts at 8 AM) eat a Cinnamon Raisin English muffin with peanut butter, and a banana then go back to bed until 6:15 AM which I will get up to have ONE cup of coffee..... okay maybe 2, then before I leave the hotel I'll probably consume an Energy gu (but I haven't made that last decision final).

But like I said, a 9 min/mile pace isn't hard for me and it will be even easier when I am running with others but my biggest goal come race day is to not go out too fast and take it relatively easy for the first half of the race - maybe a 9:30-10:00 min/mile pace. Then when I reach the half way point I hope to start picking it up with each mile, though I am not sure when the wall or any issues of fatigue might hit me so I am not saying this last goal is a sure thing.

I'm crazy, stupid and just naive aren't I?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

I'd rather just whip it out and wing it 

You might hurt it if you whip it!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Isn't fairly common that people, especially 1st timers, to be extremely soft with their projections. It takes a fair amount of experience + guts to announce a marathon performance based on their fitness / ability. Granted it sometimes works the other direction too where some are overly optimistic but I think that's not the norm.

THANK YOU!!!

That is exactly how I feel about it lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

happylily

The thing I find hard is to announce a goal and then run my race under conditions that were out of my control (weather and sickness, mainly) and then come back here with the result and feel like I will be taken for  either a whiner, or a runner who was overly optimistic in her goals. I have come to know myself well through my training cycles and all my goals have been realistic, except one time last spring when I lied to myself. But I find it difficult sometimes to be upfront with my goals, even to my SO.

onemile

THANK YOU!!!

That is exactly how I feel about it lol.

Sure, but knowing your "secret goal" helps advise you here.  Run the half at your goal marathon pace.

MothAudio

^^ You are not alone. You're just owning it.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sure, but knowing your "secret goal" helps advise you here.  Run the half at your goal marathon pace.

Damn it..... this is true as well.

Now the question is shorts or capris..... hmmmm (not really wanting it answered ).

DH figures I will finish closer to 4:30:00 since it is my first marathon, he just doesn't want me to get my hopes up and then be disappointed with the execution and results.

PRs

MothAudio

The thing I find hard is to announce a goal and then run my race under conditions that were out of my control (weather and sickness, mainly) and then come back here with the result and feel like I will be taken for  either a whiner, or a runner who was overly optimistic in her goals. I have come to know myself well through my training cycles and all my goals have been realistic, except one time last spring when I lied to myself. But I find it difficult sometimes to be upfront with my goals, even to my SO.

Knowledgable runners understand how much conditions affect marathon performance. Generally opinions are based not on any one race report / performance but the totality of your on-line presence.

Most runners do not announce goals even when they are very confident it's in them. Bad karma to piss off the running gods. There was only one marathon I absolutely knew I'd hit my goal [if I didn't step in a hole]. I had just waited too long, put in too much work and suffered too much to feel any different. But I don't recall boosting about that publically, though I did reveal it to my mileage team at the time. I totally believe letting your performance speak for you is the best strategy [especially for the marathon where things can head south quickly].

MI_Tim

Can't you run a slow training run for free?  I don't see why people would pay money and not run hard