Beginners and Beyond

10K training Plan suggestions (Read 40 times)

My next running goal is to improve my 10K performance.  Specifically, I'm targeting the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta on July 4th.

History - my first 10k race was this race in July 2011 - time 1:15:42.  In July 2012 - time 1:04:59.  This past fall I ran the Cartersville 10K which in my limited racing opinion was a fast course, no killer hills - time 55:28.

For those familiar with Peachtee RR, the last 3 miles definitely has some hills.  So my goal is to go sub 55:00 and even faster (dream time close to 50:00 as possible).  And it would be cool to say, each year I've improved by 10 minutes or more running the Peachtree.

Thanks to Daylight Savings Time this Sunday, I will have one more hour in the evening to run more consistently after work and I will have access to a high school track after their practices in sun light.

Suggestions are welcome.

Also for reference for recent short distance races, I ran the Heart and Soles 5k 2/9/13 in 26:23 and  Rocks and Roots 5K Trail Run on 3/2/13 in 28:43.

Thanks.

Rich

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

onemile

I would check out the plans in Pfitzinger's Road Racing for Serious Runners book.  I used his 15k-HM plan with good results and I know he has shorter distance plans in that book also.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I would check out the plans in Pfitzinger's Road Racing for Serious Runners book.  I used his 15k-HM plan with good results and I know he has shorter distance plans in that book also.

+1

This book is often overlooked and overshadowed by his Advanced Marathoning, but it covers all the other standard road racing distances applying much th esame principles. One attractive feautre is the flexibility of his plans. He provides the key workouts and allows the runner to fit in the easy days when their schedule allows.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

In addition to the answers you have received thus far, since you will be able to run at a track, you can practice running your goal pace in intervals, say like 4 X 1200's or 5 X 1000's once a week.

Tempo runs are also good for 10k training either in time increments i.e. 25:00, 30:00, 35:00 etc steady state runs, or mile repeats with short rest intervals in between.

Thanks for the book suggestion.

LRB - thanks for your tips.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot