Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins Know That Every Day Is A New Day! (Read 35 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

This week has been draining me and I am a little behind in my workouts. There were a lot of factors but having training classes for 3 nights after work and having to work outside on the two coldest days of the year really had an effect. Especially being out in the frigid temps - it just drains the energy out of you.

Yesterday afterwork I did upper body and abs at the gym and that was it. It amazed me that even though I was pretty drained, I got thru the workout plus was able to go a few more reps on some sets. I guess it was a lesson in mental toughness where the body has to be forced by the mind to co-operate. Need to remember that at my next 5K!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the mental toughness Gustav.  Speaking of  toughness,  I skipped the gym yesterday morning when I saw the snow.  Maybe today.  Running RD also, so we need to hit the track sometime today.

Have a great weekend !!!

Bin Running

Missed my morning run as my body just wanted more sleep. 2nd week that I missed sat run. This better not becoming a habit.

Will run 11M tmr.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  4 recovery miles done.  Off to the chiro, movies, dinner with Maniacs, movie with DH, super busy.  Fortunately, most of that is sitting down to try to relax for tomorrow.  Ha!  Who am I kidding?  Every time I tire the night before, my marathon goes well.

Gustav, nice job on the mental toughness.

Jerry, enjoy the rest day.

Bin, sorry you missed your run.  You're doing Pfitz, right.  Although a couple of missed runs won't hurt you, sometimes it is a sign that you're training is getting to be too much.  So, just relax, refresh, and continue on but be mindful of that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Thanks, Damaris. Yes, doing the pfitz. Will take note of that and see if its really too much for me.  Maybe will reduce the weekly miles.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

If you decide on that, I would reduce the miles on your HMP and strides days instead of the recovery days.  And maybe the number of 20-22 milers to 19-21.  It might be work + training or it might the training.  I had something like that happened my first time with Pfitz 18/70 and I missed a good number of runs because I was too tired (or it was 100F and I didn't know I had asthma and I kept getting "sick").  Just be mindful of it.  It might be nothing.

Thanks, Damaris. Yes, doing the pfitz. Will take note of that and see if its really too much for me.  Maybe will reduce the weekly miles.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav - hang in there, you're doing great.

Jerry - snow, I get that.  LOL

Bin - Isn't if "funny" how easy it is to form bad habits and how difficult it is to form good habits?

Damaris - good recovery run.  I think I should send you some snow down so you can enjoy that... yeah?

AFM - I'm dressed and about to head out.  It is above 20 F for the first time in a week.  I have 4 layers on and I'm hoping that is enough.  We'll see.  Gorgeous snow falling right now, very powdery.  It's fun to run in.  The temps, not so much but it is nice to look at.  10-12 miles, here I come.

Docket_Rocket

Send snow!  The marathon forecast is sunny (meaning the tropical sun will be upon us with no shade) and 68-79F for the day.  I sure can use snow.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Trade ya !!!

Send snow!  The marathon forecast is sunny (meaning the tropical sun will be upon us with no shade) and 68-79F for the day.  I sure can use snow.

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Rest day for me, weights and another 1 mile run tomorrow as long as my leg is still good.

Docket_Rocket

Have you ever run a marathon in that weather while it's 90% humidity too?  You would change your mind. Joking

Trade ya !!!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Good morning to my fine feathered friends!

My 10 miler yesterday went well.  It was clear and much warmer than it has been- mid 40s, so really nice.  I even got 2.5 miles of daylight at the start.  I used my Garmin to slow myself down in the beginning miles, and just picked it up for the last 2.

Today I need to start work on the cake, plus I have 5 easy miles.  The real test of how my LR went will be how the legs feel today, I think.

Gustav- Good job staying strong through the week!  What kind of work do you do that you had to be outside in the cold?  Good thing you're a panda bear!

Jerry- Are you going back to the new track today, then?

Bin- Sorry that you're feeling a bit run down.  I know I've had to modify my program down a little bit.  Instead of the HM "B" plan, I think I'm doing the "B minus."

D- Sounds like a great day!

Vance- Hope you are having a great time on your run!

Lauren- Hoping for a good mile for you tomorrow!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hey guys, I'm still around.  I've kept up my running, and cut back my internet time...lol  I've had to prioritize this week.  Still trying to decide whether to do my 8 mile run or 13 mile run today.  Today is supposed to be the 8, but tomorrow could be freezing rain.  I'd rather run my 13 in snow.  Although, I ran 8 in the snow the other day and with the lack of traction it felt like 16.  It was like I was on a slow moving treadmill.  My feet were going at a 9:45 pace, and I was moving at an 11 minute pace.  Well, I'm going to try different shoes today.  The GTS 13's have a more solid sole with more aggressive tread.  I think that might help.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

My 15k got canceled due to the weather, so I went and did 9 miles on the trail in the snow, great run!!

They're still having the after party, since it was already paid for, so I'm gonna get cleaned up and go get some lunch/beer, be back later!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!