Beginners and Beyond

The Official RA BF&B Facebook Thread (Read 2463 times)

Docket_Rocket

I know her mom lived on a building that was damaged condemned from the surf (before this hurricane) so she had to move and leave her newly renovated apartment behind.  Maybe you heard of that?  It happened 3-5 years ago.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

MrNamtor- I moved to Brooklyn after college and grad school (I was raised in NJ) I lived in Park Slope for 2 years, then got priced out of the neighborhood and now have lived in Bay Ridge for almost a year. Bigger apartment for $600 less per month than what I paid in Park Slope! Damaris if it was Russian and not far from Coney Island it was probably Brighton Beach.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

She is in Brighton Beach but I thought Namtor was asking me about the exact neighborhood or area.

MrNamtor- I moved to Brooklyn after college and grad school (I was raised in NJ) I lived in Park Slope for 2 years, then got priced out of the neighborhood and now have lived in Bay Ridge for almost a year. Bigger apartment for $600 less per month than what I paid in Park Slope! Damaris if it was Russian and not far from Coney Island it was probably Brighton Beach.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

oh ok sorry missed that part!

She is in Brighton Beach but I thought Namtor was asking me about the exact neighborhood or area.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

Thanks for the invitation, Namtor. You may regret it someday, though. :-) I've been thinking about running Chicago in the near future. That, or NYC... There are just so many places I want to go to, but so little time and money... :-(

I grew up in a small town called St-Constant (every town and village in the province starts with a St., or Saint or Sainte... We used to be good Catholics) It was, and still is, an ugly little town, sort of a new type of suburb of Montreal at the time. It isn't far from the border of the state of New York. I moved to Montreal when I was 23, after living in British Columbia for 5 years. I learned to speak English in BC. In Montreal, I lived in two very ethnic neighborhoods, where I bought my first homes. I loved living there. 15 happy years. But eventually, we sold our 4th property while the real estate market was going up like crazy, and we bought something bigger, but cheaper, 20 miles outside of Montreal, near a river and a small mountain which has a natural reserve owned by McGill University. We can hike there year round. Many Europeans have moved in this area over the years, and a few English speaking families. We like the community. You and your DW are welcome to our house anytime you want. :-) (and that goes for any other forumite here who would be brave enough to cross the border. Big grin)

Okay. That was a lot of rambling. Even for me. Big grin

P.S. I forgot to mention this: People of Quebec City absolutely hate Montrealers, because they think we have little class and we can't speak French properly. While Montrealers think that people of Quebec City are just envious and pretentious morons... What we do have in common is that we are all loud, stubborn and rebellious (but NOT me, of course... :-)) and just a huge pain in the butt in general for the rest of Canada. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

and just a huge pain in the butt in general for the rest of Canada. Big grin

Really? I hadn't heard!LOLBig grin

happylily

Really? I hadn't heard!LOLBig grin

LOL... but... you still like us a little, right? Cry

Just B.S.

LOL... but... you still like us a little, right? Cry

OK I will admit just a little.

Besides you and my "adopted" daughter from Trois Riviere are both wonderful people so

I have to believe there are others!LOL

happylily

OK I will admit just a little.

Besides you and my "adopted" daughter from Trois Riviere are both wonderful people so

I have to believe there are others!LOL

Well, as long as (((I))) am in your heart, I don't care what you think of the others. Big grin (but you have another Quebecer you like, from Trois-Rivieres? Grrr... Who is she? Is she faster than me? I'm jealous... Big grin)

Just B.S.

Well, as long as (((I))) am in your heart, I don't care what you think of the others. Big grin (but you have another Quebecer you like, from Trois-Rivieres? Grrr... Who is she? Is she faster than me? I'm jealous... Big grin)

No doubt about that!!

She is our language exchange student from 2004. She was 16 at the time.  Our son lived in T.R. for 4 months

with her family and then she came here and lived with us for 4 months. We fell in love with her and she with us.

Her Father died when she was just little and her Mom never remarried or had another relationship while she

was growing up.

She told hubby before she left that he taught her what it felt like to have a Dad.Cry

I consider her the daughter we never had. And she did become a runner after she ran 2 races with us during

her time here.

happylily

That is a very heart warming story, Beth. Anyone, especially a child or young person, who would have the chance to live with you and your family for a while would be very lucky indeed...

Just B.S.

That is a very heart warming story, Beth. Anyone, especially a child or young person, who would have the chance to live with you and your family for a while would be very lucky indeed...

Oh Lily you are just so sweet! Want to come live with me for a while?LOL

Any person or animal that comes to live with us participates in races. But we make it fun!

This was 2004, we were running races as a family even way back then. I'm slow but I've been at this

for a while now.

I think you can tell by the hair color which one isn't ours!Smile In the top photo anyway.LOL

happylily

Awww... Beth!. Those are really really beautiful family pictures! Your boys look so much like you, it's amazing! And your hubby isn't bad himself...  (whistle... :-) )

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Butter Tart

While Montrealers think that people of Quebec City are just envious and pretentious morons.

Actually I think they're a bunch of rightwingers who listen to trash radio and I pity them for their lack of diversity. But they do have some nice old buildings.