Beginners and Beyond

Headlamps (Read 39 times)

Who uses headlamps? Any recommendations, or features to look out for (or avoid)?

What about knuckle lights - pros/cons vs. a headlamp?

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I used knuckle lights this winter. I was running in a lighted subdivision. They are OK. I don't think I'd rely on them in a non-lighted area. I did have a driver tell me that he had no trouble seeing me, so I guess they were good for visibility.

From the Internet.

I have a cheap headlamp that my dad gave me, haven't used it yet because I need a screwdriver to put batteries in and that's more effort than I am apparently capable of making.

I will actually try it out sometime this fall/winter before I decide whether I should invest in a better one - my thought was that it would make it easier to spot and avoid patches of ice in early morning/evening runs than something like knuckle lights, which are really more for visibility. I also have a super annoying flashy vest (this one) to make me visible to cars/other people, so the headlamp would really be just for making sure I don't trip and fall.

To clarify, I am more interested in seeing than being seen.

Avoiding cars is not too much of a problem; I run around my suburban neighborhood, with minimal road crossings and not much traffic early AM anyway.

But there are areas with no ambient lighting, and sometimes I cannot see where my foot is going to land. Which is unnerving to say the least.

Dave

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I just bought the Black Diamond Spot but for use on trails.  I picked it up at a race for less than $30.  It might be overkill for what you need if you just need something for the hood.

You people have issues 

I have a Petzl (Tikka XP I think)

I have played around with clipping on a belt or a running vest as sometimes strapped to my head bothers me. I have looked at knuckle lights as well. One thing I've noticed about a headlamp is the it tends to "blind" me. Meaning my eyes adapt to the night better, and my surroundings, if I'm not wearing the lamp right above my eyes.

Here in the winter with snow on the ground, street lights on, and the moon out it can be a lot "lighter" than you would believe.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

This sucker lights up a small stadium!

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/headlamps-and-lanterns/icon-headlamp-BD620599ALUMALL1.html#start=3

And it's not as heavy as it looks - great for me for winter Smile (although technically it's Phil's).

I say - the more lumens, the better.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I use a Black Diamond headlamp, I like it but I only use it on the trails on nighttime runs.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Black Diamond Sprinter on a Spibelt.  USB rechargeable, waterproof, no strap on my head .  I' ve had it 6 months, was worth every penny.  I was going through a "water resistant" lamp every couple of months due to corrosion from sweat.  I  know it goes for 3 hours and still has juice for the job.  It is really the best $50 I have spent on running gear.

Runner with a riding problem.

Zelanie

I have the Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp and I like it a lot.  I just keep it on its charging cradle and it's always ready to go.  I don't find it bouncy or annoying to wear, and it's very bright.

I used to really like the knuckle lights, but they had a bad tendency of running out of batteries on me in the darkest places far away from home.  Also, they're not waterproof.  So for dark, rainy Oregon winters, they don't really work well.

Birdwell

I just bought the Black Diamond Spot but for use on trails.  I picked it up at a race for less than $30.  It might be overkill for what you need if you just need something for the hood.

this.

or get the Black Diamond revolt which features a dimmable main light and built in USB recharger for the rechargeable batteries that come standard.

usually around $45-50