Beginners and Beyond

2013 Year in Review (Read 92 times)

RSX

Dont think it would be overstating to say 2013 was another  incredibly fun and successful year for me. And hubby.

Firstly I am just finishing up my 8 th consecutive year injury free. Pretty amazing considering all I do and being in my 50"s now.

Thought at 51 after 3 years of PRs and into my 13 th year of running that the PRs would not keep coming but they did At every distance except the half

Started the year by beginning marathon training Jan 1st at the same time as starting to swim 4 times per week in my quest to learn to swim and become a triathlete.

February did girls only trip from Canada to Florida for the Disney princess half.

May on Mothers Day took 10  minutes off my full PR with a 4:10.

5 triathlons in my first season of them including an Olympic in Ottawa where I had a 2 Nd in AG  and several AG in sprint tris.

Another sub 2 half run with my friend RSX Where hubby and I had matching 3 rd place AG.

A 5 k PR for hubby and I at same race where we both had 1st place AG

10k PR 2 Nd in AG

Full marathon in Ireland for hubby's 50 th where hubby came 3 rd overall I was 4 th woman and 1 st in AG and both earned a Cow trophy.

A marathon 28 days later where missed PR by only 90 seconds.

13 races in all.

A pretty decent year.

Very cool to make someone's highlight list!! That race/trip was definitely a highlight for me as was hanging out with you both. I can't wait to go back.

Just B.S.

Very cool to make someone's highlight list!! That race/trip was definitely a highlight for me as was hanging out with you both. I can't wait to go back.

Smile Despite running the half here 8 times and counting I have yet to run the full.

Perhaps we will do it together next year?

Just B.S.

My first full calendar year of running, and it was great!  Big grin

PR'd every distance I ran (not hard to do when you're still new lol), and hit all of my goals except for a sub-19 5k, which I think I have in me, just haven't run a 5k since June (but sub-20 was also a goal and I got that, so I'm still happy).  Marathon training is going great, and I'm running a 50k in two weeks, still can't believe I'm doing that.  But I have full confidence that my legs will see me through, they have yet to fail at any task I've put them to.

Can't wait to see what 2014 brings!

Dave can't wait to see what you can do once you really get your running legs under you.Big grin

J/K, you friggin rock man!

Walk-Jogger

My 2013 Year in Review: 

I turned 58 last March, and it was a decent running year for me - not my best year but also not my worst. I'm on track to run about 1700 miles total for this year, which is a lifetime yearly high for me. But after running hard for the past 6 years, I've probably hit my peak in terms of absolute PR's on distances I've raced frequently in the past. I had a tibial stress fracture or reaction starting on  April 1st after a very hilly 5K race and a 16-mile long run the previous two days, which put a big crimp in my training and racing for the next couple of months. But I was able to work past it and salvage my July marathon and a couple of other important May-June shorter races.

2013 PR's

800 meters:  2:29.41 at the U of I Vandals open track meet on Feb. 3rd in Moscow, Idaho. Age-grades to 82.5%

Full Marathon:  3:08:34 on a fast downhill course, my first ever full marathon so an automatic PR. It was 31+ minutes under my BQ qualifying time, and age-grades to 79.7%.

Some of my other best races for the year were:

5K: 18:50, which age-grades to 83%,

1 mile: 5:28, which age-grades to 82.1% (All-American qualifying time)

Half-Marathon: 1:26:09. which age-grades to 82.6%

10K: 39:35, which age grades to 82.9%

Bloomsday 12K:  47:45, 2nd A/G, age-grades to 83.1%

In June I ran a 1-mile race at the "Festival of Miles" in Spokane, WA in 5:30, which is not my 1-mile PR time but it was and still is the new M55-59 age-group course record for that particular race.

For the entire racing season I only ran 12 non-relay races, a very low number for me. I finished 1st in my age group 9 times, and 2nd in my age group 3 times. No finishes were lower than second place A/G.  I had two 3rd place, one 4th place and one 5th place over-all finishes.

I've been on "light-duty" running since my July marathon due to an apparent peroneal nerve problem in my left leg below the knee, which doesn't seem to be healing, but also isn't getting any worse at the moment.  I can run on it, but I'll probably never run another marathon . . .

Retired &  Loving It

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

2013 started injured. Felt the first niggling of ITBS right after Christmas 2012, and by January of 2013 it was so bad I could barely walk so I took 3 weeks off running. The comeback from that was slow. Lots of physical therapy, cross training, foam rolling, and strength training and I had to build mileage back very slowly. Was back to racing by March. What followed was:

1) March I PRed my first 5K back to racing at 32:30, which was almost a minute PR

2) April I broke 30 minutes in a 5K for the first time

3) May 5th I PRed again at the 5K distance at 28:16. That PR still stands

4) Attempted a sub-60 10K in May as well. Was on pace til the ITBS kicked in again. I attempted a sub-60 7 times in 2013 and spoiler alert it didn't happen. 1:00:13 in October and 1:04:25 on a very long course (6.7 miles) where I hit 6.2 on my Garmin at 59:57 was as close as I came all year

5) Began half marathon training over the summer, had a healthy training cycle, completing a 10 mile and a15K race during training, and....

6) Ran my first half marathon in October with a time I was very happy with especially considering it was a hilly course 2:21:47

7) Looks like it may end the way it started....injured Sad.....dealt with shin issues on and off during November, ran my 2nd HM on December 8th anyway (maybe I shouldn't have) and the next day (aka yesterday) seemed to have developed a peroneal tendon issue. Sigh.

Oh well.....I'm still happy with my year. In summary, I have completed 22 races. Some for fun or for charity, some to "race." 8 5Ks, 4 4Ms, 6 10Ks (plus one 10K that was a DNF because they closed the course down while I was at mike 3 due to a fire), 1 15K, 1 10M, and 2 HMs.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

on my way to badass

So many great accomplishments! I started back to running on April 1st (after the snow melted enough to give me my trail back) with new shoes. It was a struggle but I was working towards the Freihofer's Run for Women in Albany, NY. I had run it in 2011. I was hoping to do better than my previous race of 41:11(5k). Then disaster struck. The weather turned ugly with temps in the 90's and high humidity less than a week before the race. There was no time to acclimate. I ran horribly (42 and change) but I didn't puke. I saw my doc later that month and complained about twingy tendons. He prescribed stretches and some foods to help with my electrolytes. I followed orders and the twinges went away. I ran one other race at the end of September and PR'd. 38:34. It was so much better than I thought it would be I doubted the course measurement. Since then, my husband has taken up running and we have both been working on our diets. We are both losing(of course him more than me). I have drasticaly upped my mileage since my last race. I hope to PR at a holiday race on December 21. DH and DS are running too. No whining from DS will be a win.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Almost forgot my 3rd place in my AG on 11/10 in a 10K. So what if it was a tiny race and there were only 14 in my AG?!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

RSX

Smile Despite running the half here 8 times and counting I have yet to run the full.

Perhaps we will do it together next year?

2015 seems great. I am running Boston, and was trying to decide if it could work this year but that seems more manageable. I can add a fall marathon, and now have 2014 set. In 2015 I will just run that only.

happylily

2013 was an overall good running year for me, even though it was also the year I experienced my first ever true running injury, which took me out for two months. I ran 4 marathons, which were 4 BQs. One of them allowed me to run in the company of some of the greatest recreational runners from around the world. It was a real honor for me. In Chicago, I fell in love with the city and learned that I'm able to get up again after being down for a while. I also learned that I am not mentally dependent on running, and that's a relief to me. I prefer not having any dependence in my life. I know I'm crazy like many here, but I have learned to deal with it with whatever means I have, not just only one. I also ran two fun and beautiful destination marathons which each earned me $100 US as prizes in my AG. It paid for a few drinks for my SO who deserves the award for the best supportive partner ever. Oddly, my running and racing have tightened the bond between us  My finish times went between best and worst and from that, I learned a ton about running, and about myself as well. Mostly, I learned that I'm not that badass after all, not made of steel, and from now on, I'll need to use my brain more if I want my legs to deliver better finish times in the future. 2013 also brought me two PRs in the HM and in the marathon. Overall, I feel blessed. If 2014 is half of what 2013 was for me, I'll be completely ok with that.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

workinprogress11

2013 was an overall good running year for me, even though it was also the year I experienced my first ever true running injury, which took me out for two months. I ran 4 marathons, which were 4 BQs. One of them allowed me to run in the company of some of the greatest recreational runners from around the world. It was a real honor for me. In Chicago, I fell in love with the city and learned that I'm able to get up again after being down for a while. I also learned that I am not mentally dependent on running, and that's a relief to me. I prefer not having any dependence in my life. I know I'm crazy like many here, but I have learned to deal with it with whatever means I have, not just only one. I also ran two fun and beautiful destination marathons which each earned me $100 US as prizes in my AG. It paid for a few drinks for my SO who deserves the award for the best supportive partner ever. Oddly, my running and racing have tightened the bond between us  My finish times went between best and worst and from that, I learned a ton about running, and about myself as well. Mostly, I learned that I'm not that badass after all, not made of steel, and from now on, I'll need to use my brain more if I want my legs to deliver better finish times in the future. 2013 also brought me two PRs in the HM and in the marathon. Overall, I feel blessed. If 2014 is half of what 2013 was for me, I'll be completely ok with that.

That's a wonderful attitude and I appreciate reading what you've learned about yourself.

2013 was good for me up until November. I got PRs in the 5k, HM and marathon. I still didn't get a 10k PR even though it should have been a gimme. I just can't seem to conquer that distance. I achieved my goal of 2013 in 2013 at the end of November  December so far has been a challenge with some kind of knee issue with inflamed cartilage and lot of fluid build up. I'm getting that taken care of and may do some PT as well. I didn't run for 6 days straight which is the longest I've gone since coming back from a pelvic stress fracture in 2011.

All in all it was a pretty good year. I have a feeling 2014 may be sort of a rebuilding year and then I hope to be ready to kick butt in 2015.

delicate flower

Great to see so much success, especially Baboon, who has become a machine since his knee surgery.

Thanks, Jay.  I think being laid up for five months really lit a fire under my ass.

Some great running this year, folks.  Good stuff.

<3

catwhoorg

Labrat

2013 started off slowly, my Resolution run was a disappointment, it was cold rainy and with a bit of wind, so I didn’t take it to heart too much. The real reason manifested itself shortly after with a nasty sinus infection. Took several rounds of increasing strong antibiotics to finally get rid of it (and the same in DW and DD, we were a very unhappy house for the Spring).

Had to DNS my next 3 races, and I only avoided the DNS in the 4th as it was cancelled due to adverse weather. Then in April I started back slowly, and with much less distance, but began building in a decent manner. My sole race in April reflected the poor start to the year, with another disappointing time.

May June and July were better training months, and a race in July I got a Wave B Peachtree time, although 40 secs off my 5K PR showed I was still a long way off my best.

August was good, then again I was under the weather in September not logging enough miles, and hitting a Wave C in a 15K that had previously been a great race for me. 8 mins slower on a 15k ? Not good for me. I did complete my first Triathlon (sprint) at the end of September, which was good.

Early October was my low point, nailing 2 hours exactly in a half, and getting only a Wave D time. Then October turned around. I hit Wave B in a 5K later that month, then I really hit form and pushed the Silver Comet HM to a PR I really wasn’t expected. Followed that up in November with another HM PR.

Then at a 12 hour race I set a distance PR, and despite easing down in the Atlanta HM on Thanksgiving, I still recorded another Wave B time, to close out my racing year.

All told a Horrible start to the year, and but for the last half of October and November I would have said a bad year all round. The races on my list are:

1-Jan

Resolution Run

Wave C

9-Feb

Hearts and Soles

DNS

17-Feb

Locomotive Half

HM

DNS

17-Mar

GA Half

HM

DNS

23-Mar

Berry HM

HM

Cancelled

13-Apr

ATC Spring

Wave C

14-Jul

Summer Steamer

Wave B

15-Sep

Iron Horse

Wave C

29-Sep

Lake Lanier Sprint Tri

Done!

6-Oct

13.1 Atlanta

HM

Wave D

19-Oct

Haunted Hustle

Wave B

26-Oct

Silver Comet HM

HM

Wave B -PR

9-Nov

Chickamauga HM

HM

Wave B -PR

16-Nov

Miles for Maria

12 Hour

Distance PR 46.8

28-Nov

Atlanta HM

HM

Wave B

So 5 wave B times and 3 PR’s for the year, less than 2012 but I did run fewer races.

On average my performance was slightly better than for 2012, but it was hugely more variable and very much backloaded. Perspective though allows me to look back to 2010 and see just how far I have come, when a Wave D time was seemingly out of reach, and Wave C a distant dream (instead of a disappointment).

Plot

Nov and December have been good training months so far, roll on 2014 its going to be a kick ass year. I’m starting it in the best shape I have been in for over 20 years, and with a fire to really set some new PRs at a variety of distances.

I do need to work on some raw speed for the shorter races though.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

2013 has been a truly awful year.  Both running and personally.  I am nervously counting down the days for it to be over so hopefully nothing else goes wrong...

MothAudio

^^ I'm right there with you Jenny! 2014!

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

2013 has been a truly awful year.  Both running and personally.  I am nervously counting down the days for it to be over so hopefully nothing else goes wrong...

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.