Beginners and Beyond

Running by the Highway (Read 80 times)

TJoseph

I would run there if the traffic wasn't too heavy.  The camber doesn't look too bad.

That looks ok as long as you're paying attention to every vehicle.

My street is 55 and the shoulder isn't that wide.  Now, my first order of business is to get onto a back road, about 1/2 mile either way, and traffic is light enough to usually dodge to the opposite side of any approaching vehicle.  I even occasionally make it the whole way without any encounters.  But, they really do cook by, and if two will cross near me, I stop and get into the grass or snow.

StepbyStep-SH

It would depend on traffic. I run on narrower 55 mph roads than that at my FIL's farm, but I typically see 5 or fewer vehicles per mile. Sometimes, 5 or fewer vehicles for an entire run.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Love the Half

I run on stuff like that all the time. Stay close to the grass, wear bright colors. It'll be fine.

Same here.  The likelihood of getting hit as long as you stay close to the grass is fairly remote.  You'll run more risk driving to and from work.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

My 6 mile loop run includes about 1 mile running the shoulder of a suburban posted 40 mile road (which all cars exceed).  The shoulder is half as the one shown in the photo.  When a car approaches, I generally move to the grass unless I see the driver extending runner courtesy by going wide ahead of time if no cars are approaching from the opposite direction.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

outoftheblue

I have seen people doing it but I would not run on that shoulder for a millions dollars!  But, I would not make any judgements against those who had to.

I have said this a dozen times but I do not trust drivers.  Every so often I will have to run on a shoulder for 10 or 20 feet and even doing that scares the piss outta me, there is no way I could do it for a mile!

Looking at the photo, I would actually run in the brush.

+1 to this.  I'm in the same situation.  If I was willing to run a mile on 55 mph road, i could get to some other country roads from my house, but I just can't justify the risk.  There's a lot of big logging trucks, campers,  etc. that are pretty wide and all it would take is for someone to lose concentration for a second.    My road is a little more curvy, with trees, though, so I don't have as good of a clear sightline as you do.

I hate it, but to go for a run, I get in my car and drive a few minutes to a local park, where there is a nearby residential community with lots of much safer roads to run on.

Life is good.

RSX

I think that the key is that you wouldn't be on there much more than a mile. I run on busy roads occasionally and when I lose the sidewalk I am ready to jump on the grass (happened a few times) which you have as an option also. I bet that would be my fastest mile if that was on my route.