Beginners and Beyond

10K two weeks before first marathon (Read 35 times)

Zelanie

Since we're having all of these "race before marathon" threads, I thought I'd add mine.

I have "The Oatmeal" 10K 2 weeks before my first marathon.  When I signed up, I was initially thinking of doing Pfitz, which would have been perfect.  But I've been doing Hansons, and even though a 10K doesn't take much recovery, I'm realizing that I'm just not wanting to really race two weeks before my marathon.

Theoretically, I have 10 easy miles that day.  So one option is to just show up, run my easy pace, maybe take some pictures and eat Nutella and cake at the aid stations.

Another option would be to make it my "strength" workout that would theoretically be run two days after the race.  The workout is 6 x 1 mile at a bit faster than MP.  So I could run the 10K at that pace, then on the following Tuesday, just run my miles at easy pace.

Other ideas?

LRB

Runners do not get enough lateral work therefore run it sideways leading with your right hip for 3 miles, then with your left hip for 3, then run it all out for the last .20 and get the best race finish pic ever.

I feel you on mentally not wanting to race having dealt with it twice this year myself.  If you do decide to do it, show up to race to the best of your ability that day.

If that is a non-PR performance so be it, but running 6.2 miles steady state is a great workout especially if you can get it near the plans target or better.

But more than that working on race day issues right before the big one will be good for you with the other stuff you had to deal with this past spring.

Nutella and cake at the aid stations.

Sorry love to help but I couldn't get past this.

Dave

Zelanie

Sorry love to help but I couldn't get past this.

You can see why not signing up wasn't really an option. Smile  It sold out in 20 minutes, and it took me 18 minutes to get in even though I started the minute registration opened.

Hip Redux

I have nothing to add other than I am jealous.

You can see why not signing up wasn't really an option. Smile  It sold out in 20 minutes, and it took me 18 minutes to get in even though I started the minute registration opened.

And also this: "We won't charge you to download your race photos after the event." (Although at those prices you would hope so.)

I would have a tough time with a race 2 weeks before The Race. I am looking at a possible 5k/10k that is 4 weeks out, and 2 weeks after my half. Because the start/finish is a mile from my house. Even though it may be a bad idea.

If I had to give advice & if it was worth anything - that close to race day, with your level of experience, stick to the schedule. If you have the discipline to do it - run it easy, have fun, and add 4 miles worth of warmup/cooldown. Maybe run it in a Blerch costume.

Dave

MothAudio

Why don't you feel like racing? Rounding into peak form I find the oppoiste to be true - over-race. Are you concerned about peaking too soon, injury or burn out? I set my grand master 10k PB two weeks before my master marathon pb. I chose a trio of 10ks as my tune up races because that distance is the most challenging for me. I wanted to be calloused to that effort so MP felt like a jog.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This is one of the reasons why I make my own plans. Then if I want to race I don't have this quandary. Personally I like a couple shorter races leading up to a goal race to get into full racing mode mentally.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

"Theoretically, I have 10 easy miles that day. So one option is to just show up, run my easy pace, maybe take some pictures and eat Nutella and cake at the aid stations.

You're going to post lots of RR pictures of you in your "Beat the Blerch" shirt, right?

Zelanie

Why don't you feel like racing? Rounding into peak form I find the oppoiste to be true - over-race. Are you concerned about peaking too soon, injury or burn out? I set my grand master 10k PB two weeks before my master marathon pb. I chose a trio of 10ks as my tune up races because that distance is the most challenging for me. I wanted to be calloused to that effort so MP felt like a jog.

Hmm, that is a good question.  I guess I'm most worried about what it might do to my mental state if I did have a bad race two weeks out from my goal marathon.  But I suppose the opposite is true in that if I have a good race, that would be a huge boost.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Z

Its all a risk/ reward equation.

Do you trust your training?

Do you need a confidence boost?

Personally as I have posted several times and executed (and will execute) per my coach' advice:

I would target it as a hard Tempo effort. PR good, no-PR fine.  Use it as race practice and aim to put in a solid hard effort.

If you go into the race as a 'non-race' then what really is the point.  Just to run for 6.2 miles?  Hell you do that all the time.

If you go into the race to PR, chances are you won't (you are tired), and you will possibly take this as an omen or indication of your marathon ability.

If you go into it as an honest hard Tempo workout, you have removed the pressure, removed the anxiety and you just run.  You know what you can do in training, just do it again. Racing will push you a little faster, a little harder.  It is all good.

If you go into the race as a 'non-race' then what really is the point.  Just to run for 6.2 miles?  Hell you do that all the time.

DID YOU MISS THE PART ABOUT NUTELLA AND CAKE AID STATIONS?

Dave

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Exactly. Thanks, DaveP.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Yes... Yes I did.

Docket_Rocket

I like the idea of doing your strength workout that day.  I think you could still run a strong 10K and still recover before your marathon but I understand your concern.  Races are a great way to do your speed workouts too, so that would be my recommendation.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page