Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Nuts Monday (Read 20 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: Yes, but I went to work. The fever is gone, now I just have the muscle aches and stomach issues.

From the Internet.

FAAHHHK. My left IT band is super serious that it suddenly doesn't want to be normal anymore. Super frustrated. Took the weekend off, rolled out the hip/leg a few times, felt fine - no longer hitting super painful tight spots. I'd planned to run 11 miles today before the snow hit, was not even remotely possible. I was fine until about 2 miles when started getting some warning twinges outside the left knee, and then boom, crippling pain and limping at 2.5. I would hate being injured a little bit less if I had some indication that this would happen before I'm 2+ miles from home. Channeled my frustration at being stuck so far from home in 17 degree weather into some low-7:00 pace intervals alternated with walking - faster pace felt much better than easy pace. Now it's majorly inflamed though, hurts to put weight on it.

PT appointment scheduled for 8 AM Saturday (my usual group run time   to start getting to the bottom of it. Looking up the touted Myrtl routine, foam rolling, and popping anti-inflammatories until then.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with the miles and the leg workout, Damaris.

Happy rest day, Kathleen and PAD, and Jack.

Hope your weather behaves, HsM!

6 X 800s, good luck Mitch.  It's not snowing there, is it?

Yes, Jerry, gotta keep the DW happy!  Yes, 60 IS cold for we South Texans, lol.

So sorry, Traci, about the ankle.   Tell your body I love it, to make it feel better...or maybe scare it into behaving...

Obiebyke, hope you feel better too!

Congrats on the 8 miles, Brilliant! Sounds like you are getting back to your old running self.

Walked the dog, shoveled snow, TM later...you are just the very active person today, Ginny!

Lauren, so sorry you are still having ITB issues!  I sure hope you can find something that will fix it once and for all!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

FAAHHHK. My left IT band is super serious that it suddenly doesn't want to be normal anymore. Super frustrated. Took the weekend off, rolled out the hip/leg a few times, felt fine - no longer hitting super painful tight spots. I'd planned to run 11 miles today before the snow hit, was not even remotely possible. I was fine until about 2 miles when started getting some warning twinges outside the left knee, and then boom, crippling pain and limping at 2.5. I would hate being injured a little bit less if I had some indication that this would happen before I'm 2+ miles from home. Channeled my frustration at being stuck so far from home in 17 degree weather into some low-7:00 pace intervals alternated with walking - faster pace felt much better than easy pace. Now it's majorly inflamed though, hurts to put weight on it.

PT appointment scheduled for 8 AM Saturday (my usual group run time   to start getting to the bottom of it. Looking up the touted Myrtl routine, foam rolling, and popping anti-inflammatories until then.

This sucks! I'm so sorry and hope you get going soon.

Robert31320

Team TJ

3.3 miles WAY before daylight for me.

Running for TJ because he can't.

GinnyinPA

Traci - so sorry to hear about the ITB issue.  That's why I carry a phone when I run in the winter.  I want to  be able to call for a pick-up if I need to when it's too cold to walk.

Singer who runs a smidge

So sorry this happened!!  Being injured sucks, and not being able to see your way out of it sucks even more.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hi all!

SRD after my half yesterday.  Ran it in 2:24:22 - about 4 minutes slower than my PR.  I'm super happy with that time given the lack of sleep the evening before and me falling off my training plan a bit due to illness/achiness.  I wish I thought enough during my races to really focus and write a good RR but I'm not quite at that point in my running.  I started about 10 minutes after the gun - which is good because the corrals had all cleared and people had started spreading out a bit so there wasn't too much weaving to do.  It was a relatively small race (about five thousand runners) which was nice.  I passed the 2:30 pace group around mile 3 and then had some side stiches for a mile or so.  They went away and I ran through them.  I was on pace to PR until about mile 9 when one of the water stops was out of water.  This was the stop before ascending harlem hill for the second time and I just sort of said "eh, I think this isn't going to be my day to PR" and relaxed a bit.  I think if I'd had a bit more mental toughness I could have maintained my pace without water, though I was actually a bit thirsty at that point.  I had some weird searing knee pain for a bit around mile 11 but just pushed through it.  I was expecting to go 2:25 based off of my training so I'm happy with how I did.

On tap: My next half is in 7 weeks.  I want to lose ~7 lbs by then and work on HILLS!  I think that my main downfall is that I run mostly flat routes all winter.  My only real source of "hills" is to run the bridges, which is nice to do in the summer but very cold and windy to do in the winter.  I can always take mass transit to either prospect park or central park, both of which are relatively hilly (for NYC) but something about taking the subway just to run makes it a bit less appealing to me.

Lauren and Traci - fix yourselves!  Injuries are terrible!

Jack and Obie- feel better soon

Scotty, Kathleen, and PAD - enjoy your rest days!

Brilliant - are you getting excited for your half?

D - I wonder whose legs hurt worse today, yours or mine?  I think that with each half I'm a bit less sore after.

Ginny - does your dog absolutely go nuts in the snow?  Mine loves it - but it is going to be much taller than she is soon.

HsM - do you enjoy working from home?

Mitch - how often do you do your speedwork?

Robert - good job on the miles

Jerry - enjoy the miles with DW

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your half, sapf!

As for your hills...if you have any parking garages around where you are, the ramps on those make for some great hill work.  Do it on a Sunday morning, most parking garages are usually empty then, so you don't have to worry about traffic on the ramps.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

sapf - Ben loves the snow.  He rolls in it,  and makes snow angels and tries to catch it as it falls.  If there's a slope, he'll try to slide down the hill as far as the leash allows.

Good job on the half.  You have time to lose some weight and focus on training, but doing it in New York in winter is going to be hard.  Do you have access to a gym with a treadmill so you can work the incline?  OTOH, running in Prospect Park or Central Park sound like fun.  Can you make a run date with someone to make taking the subway there more appealing?

tracilynn

Oh no Lauren! That sucks so bad. The dreaded ITB. Hate it!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Saph, that sounds like so many of my races lately.  I start off with high hopes, and then somewhere along the line, just can't make myself care enough to continue putting forth the effort.  Lately that's been way before mile 9, though, I have to admit.   I hear you on the hills, too.  My local route is along the river, so pretty flat.  I get all wimpy on small inclines on neighborhood streets.  Hillwork is on my to-do list, but somehow it never gets done. 

Congrats on a strong race in tough conditions!  Stay safe in the snow!